Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is a true story: the Boss hired a new guy on as a tech who obviously had had some experience with radios. About the first or second day, he got a TV on the bench with weak video. After testing tubes the problem persisted and the guy started twiddling the video IFs to get them "on peak" for maximum gain.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
M is for Memory

Pffft...HAHAHA!
You gota be seriously green to make a mistake like that!
That is gota be the funniest thing I've read in a while here.
Tom C.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Looking For Time

Even I knew not to "fiddle with it" until it looks good.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Looking For Time

I'm going to call this one done. It has been quite a journey over the past four months. I can't believe how much I've learned and I can't believe how much I still don't know. This project would have been a dead starter had it not been for the help of all of you here. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me on the way, ggregg, wa2ise, miniman82, Electronic M, Banderson, roundscreen, ChrisW6ATV, earlyfilm. Thank you jeyurkon for giving me a start with the schematic. Thank you Phil Nelson for giving me things to read before I even started. Thank you VintagePC for being the friendly voice that encouraged me along the way. Most of All thank you Bill C. aka Old Coot. Your name is well known and loved in my home. This television was repaired by your patience, intellect, and willingness to walk me through every step of the way. I am eternally in your favor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnywMhG_Ok

Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Aw shucks. T'warnt nothin' really. Y'know, when i retired from doing this stuff nearly 30 years ago, i never dreamed of ever getting into it again.. or of "doing it" vicariously through a yet-uninvented magical medium. Doing it 9 to 6 for a living was not fun, but doing it this way is immensely enjoyable.
By golly did you refinish the cabinet too? Looks terrific.
oc
Audiokarma
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Aw shucks. T'warnt nothin' really. Y'know, when i retired from doing this stuff nearly 30 years ago, i never dreamed of ever getting into it again.. or of "doing it" vicariously through a yet-uninvented magical medium. Doing it 9 to 6 for a living was not fun, but doing it this way is immensely enjoyable.
By golly did you refinish the cabinet too? Looks terrific.
oc
Cabinet is not refinished. It looks way better in that picture than it does in person.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yee-hah! Nice job. You have been very persistent. Now, relax and watch some movies!

Phil Nelson
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

In later sets after the damper circuitry had become standardized (damper tube in series with the flyback's B+ path), there was a little trick that was guaranteed to bump the width out a tad, while dropping the HV a corresponding amount. That was to take a disc ceramic cap of 82 mmf (82pf) rated at 4KV or higher, and connect it directly across the damper, cathode to plate.
Your set has a different damper configuration so i can't guarantee it would work, but it might. It might be worth a try sometime later if you have the chassis out for something else. It wouldn't hurt anything. Dropping the HV a smidgin would give a little more headroom for the arcy sparky 1X2.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
M is for Memory

Time to pop the champagne!

Your first restoration was better than mine.

I basically got enough info to start me fixing radios from a friend and eventually forced my self to figure out TVs. There was much I did not know too and I need to revisit my first project because unlike you I was not aware of the forums then, and made two big mistakes which were leaving one or two papers in and replacing many papers with ceramics which causes my set to jump out of synch periodically.

You done good.

Tom C.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

And thank you vts1134 for your perseverance. It is a shining example to those of us with TVs that need restored and have yet to dig in. Thank you for posting your triumphs and your mistakes both.

This is just a downright awesome thread of everybody working together. Good job to all involved. I hope I can get similar help when I start my Zeniths
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good! It's great that you didn't give up.

Your first restoration went much faster than mine.

John
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Well, the Mighty Monarch is safely in its new home in Buffalo . Managed to catch some I Love Lucy on her....

Wasn't sure, John (vts), but it seems like the picture gap on the left is a bit greater than your other photos. If that's the way it is, so be it.....I'm still thrilled with her! Didn't know if something got shifted around on the trip.

Here's a pic when I first got her home, on an obviously off-tuned station

I was amazed by the level of restoration of this set, including what I believe is a brushed on coating on the CRT. Simply incredible. This one will be with me forever

Got it in the house when I got home Saturday, and Sunday I set her up on a furniture mover so I could wipe down the cabinet with some linseed oil, which made it look even better than it did. I think I may send the cabinet out for a complete refresh in the spring.......
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Administrator

I read every post in this thread today. I had absolutely no idea that so much thought and work went into this set. I'm simply speechless. The amount of knowledge here leaves me in the dut 99 times out of 100, but this really showcases the amazing talent pool we have here on VK.....

You guys are simply amazing , and I have a new level of appreciation and respect for this piece, as if I didn't have enough before....
Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Looking For Time

This set was quite an adventure and an amazing learning process. I was simply the hands and the knowledge came from others here. I really learned to be meticulous with restorations as most of the problems I had with this set was caused by my making mistakes.
The width does appear to be reduced from the last time I fired the set on. It usually got to be almost full width after the set warmed up.
Enjoy the set and definitely post some pictures of the cabinet if you get some work done on it.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Looking For Time

Happy 5th anniversary Majestic! Five years and one day ago I set off on a life long journey that started with you. You introduced me to a passion for early television and a community of people who consistently surprise me with their willingness to help others. You may not have known it when you first caught my eye on the second floor of that antique store, but you would go on to introduce me to friends I may have for a lifetime. Even five years on you manage to put a smile on my face just remembering our time together.