Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox question

being a beginner in collecting & minor repair on early color I have a question on my Maganavox U45 roundie home theater.
I see it has input for ipod or other audio source. I use my Ipod on it through the amp and it carries the stereo sound to the speakers, the tv also uses the amp for sound. Stereo tv has been around since the 80's if i am correct, if this tv gets tv stereo signal does it give true stereo tv output sound? It seems to do it with Stereo DVD and Xbox surround.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

No stereo output from your TV audio source. Even though you may see a model with "Hi -Fidelity", that may only mean that the set may have a better tone control section or audio stage but mono.

Keep in mind that there wasn't any TV stereo broadcast signal till the late eighties either and some programs would list themselves as being "in stereo".

I'm not sure exactly when this started other than the late eighties..
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe it was sometime in 1985. It seems to me that Saturday Night Live was in stereo during the 85-86 season.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Miami Vice is when I 1st got it, went out and bought a Mitsubishi just for the stereo. Still got the set and it still works fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I believe it was sometime in 1985. It seems to me that Saturday Night Live was in stereo during the 85-86 season.
Johnny Carson's studio and SNL were the first to be equipped for stereo at NBC, I believe.
Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Sounds about right. I had 1 of zenith's first consoles with built in MTS stereo sound.It was manufactured in 1985.can't remember the exact month.Set is still operating in perfect working order at the house of the lady I gave it to a couple years back.Only 2 troubles it ever had was the yoke connector on the 9-454 module burned up.(The were all underpowered for the 27" inch 9-454 and burned up. We used to replace the board when they were under warranty.I hardwired mine and repaired the burned board.Mine didn't happen until the warranty was long gone. )And one time it wouldn't start and I traced it to poor connection at the HOT socket Tightened and cleaned the socket connections and soldered them also.Problem solved permanately.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember the promo ad that WBOC ran that year to explain stereo tv, and they used a Zenith console to demonstrate it. Zenith's last big success?