Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep. Nice set.

It looks bad now, but they do bounce back.

Here's my second 621TS, a Walnut, on the Comeback Trail:

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 03-24-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Toasted Mahogany is going to be a tough flavor to duplicate/refinish. Fortunately, you have virginal surfaces under the front bezels as a standard or guide.

I have no idea what the "toasting" procedure was to achieve the finish. But a good furniture refinisher would. He could also knock out a CRT Screen out of poplar without much fuss.

Those knobs are extremely rare. Are they included with your set?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps...?

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/cata...asp?ictNbr=457
Old 03-28-2015, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=miniman82;3128991]That's right, after much searching and waiting, one finally came my way!

This one was strange, I threw down a bid on it while it was listed on Epay. I was quickly outbid, and thinking nothing of it moved on to search greener pastures. After all, a local pawn shop still has one but wants a mint for it. Then about 2 weeks later I got a notice from the seller: second chance offer, due to unpaid bid! Long story short they accepted my original bid, as it was the next one in line after the winning bid. So I had won the set for $200, but it was in California and I'm in Virginia...

Enter Steve Kissinger, who lives not far from the location of the auction. He volunteered to ship it for me, with a little bit of help from Steve Dichter picking it up. The pair of Steves helped me out big time, the set arrived in 2 gigantic boxes safe and sound earlier this week.

Best news is the 7DP4 CRT: it was a rebuild so I had my doubts, but it tests like it's never had HV on it. It was probably rebuilt during the period the chassis was going through some attempted restoration and never used, as evidenced by a note with the chassis that it had undergone repairs in the mid 80's.

Plan right now is to clean up the chassis, replace all the power caps, variac it and see where it's at. Meantime the cabinet will go off for restoration, where no money will be spared in bringing it back to former glory. This was one of the more rare blonde cabinets, and I intend to bring it back that way. I do admit to liking the darker ones more, but I'm going for originality on this one. I will need to have the front piece fabricated as it's gone missing, anyone have one they can mail me so I can take some measurements?

I like the job they did on the speaker field coil. Is that asbestos wrapped around it?
I was going to order the caps needed for the restoration of my set. The service manual shows C139 as being a .035 mfd@ 600 volt, oil impregnated cap. It's in the horizontal linearity circuit and it must be rather critical. I'm thinking about using a 1.6 or a 2kv cap.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=dieseljeep;3129958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
That's right, after much searching and waiting, one finally came my way! . The service manual shows C139 as being a .035 mfd@ 600 volt, oil impregnated cap. It's in the horizontal linearity circuit and it must be rather critical. I'm thinking about using a 1.6 or a 2kv cap.
Congrats. 621TSs at reasonable prices do come to those who wait.

I've used Just Radios 0.035 630V tubulars here and they work just fine.
Audiokarma
Old 04-03-2015, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=M3-SRT8;3130094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post

Congrats. 621TSs at reasonable prices do come to those who wait.

I've used Just Radios 0.035 630V tubulars here and they work just fine.
I was doing the preliminary checking of the various important components, before diving into the restoration. All the resistors in the divider compartment check out good. The large resistor in the HV compartment is open. According to the service manual, this resistor has a large bearing on the horiz linearity circuit. It shows a 20 watt 5300 ohm with two more 500 ohm sections. originally it was connected 5800 ohms, from the factory.
It's obvious that the set had width issues, as there's two caps soldered across the width coil. The schematic doesn't show any caps across the coil.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I looked at my toasted 621 tonight. I pulled the cover wood piece. It is satin coated on top. The underside is just color only. So color was sprayed on both sides while it passed on a conveyor belt and a finish was sprayed on one side.

I am suspicious that somewhere after the color spray that the color stain was patiently wiped down to a woodworkers final finish. These conveyors marched on. Woodworkers everywhere can correct me with no pain to me.

Yours looks like a color was added to the final finish to save a step and different than mine. I would like to see the underside of the top panel on yours to see the color.

I would not call these 621's blonde. Toasted may be more accurate to describe the color and make RCA marketing happy. Real toasting in an oven was not part of the finish. Blonde may be better used for Heywood Wakefield furniture pieces or a Natalie Kalmus set. They look like some semi-translucent color was added to the final finish. Mine looks to be just a lighter orange spray of some unknown dye or stain and then a finish coat. I would look at aniline dyes somewhere in the process.

Last edited by Dave A; 04-04-2015 at 01:17 AM. Reason: text
Old 06-28-2015, 06:04 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Took me this long since last post to finish the recapping, this is a tough one for sure. I took my time, and was careful not to break any of the original phenolic can cap thingies. Only thing that remains is gluing the cardboard covers back over them.

On first powerup the voltages were strange, negative voltages all over the place. Ended up being the 9k-ohm section of R154 (a) was open, so I replaced the bad section with a 10k/10-watt sand resistor. Close enough to work. Few more badly out of tolerance or just plain open resistors had to be replaced and I have a picture on the screen, but it's all kinds of out of adjustment. The pots all have tin whiskers in them, so now I descend into the 7th level of hell- rebuilding every pot on this thing, hoping I don't destroy one of them.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:07 PM

BTW: discovered I'm supposed to have a width coil in the HV cage but I don't, anyone have a 71429 RCA coil laying around? I understand it should be the same as the 630/721 sets as well, so here's hoping. For now there's nothing connected to the 5/6 taps on the flyback and it seems to work OK, but in the interests of being correct to the schematic...
Old 06-28-2015, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome find! I've been looking for one for years. A friend of mine has one and I've been trying to find the missing reddish-beige knobs for it. So far I've found one outter knob. Have fun with that gem!
Audiokarma
Old 06-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My knobs came w/mine, & naturally, I've managed to misplace(Read: "Loose") them..
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
My knobs came w/mine, & naturally, I've managed to misplace(Read: "Loose") them..
Happens to everyone here I suspect. I've managed to loose (read: "my daughter hid") some of my mine.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 PM

Aren't they common with any other set?

I have my brother Tim here visiting, he happens to be an EE so we robbed a zenith for a core and wound our own width coil. Seems to work fine, 150-ish turns of #26 magnet wire in 3 layers covered in clear nail polish. But the focus control is seized and it seems the audio output transformer is shorted, more work ahead...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Happens to everyone here I suspect. I've managed to loose (read: "my daughter hid") some of my mine.
Well, Misery loves Company, so they say. I thought I was the only one BONEHEADED enuf to pull such a stunt. Only wanted one of these damthings for what, Half my Life ?!?... And then manage to loose the Knobs...Sometimes I need a Bootin' in the Butt...Or as my dad, Henry, used to call it-A "Shoe Factory"... He was NOT shy about takin' Moi to the "Shoe Factory", either...
Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Aren't they common with any other set?

I have my brother Tim here visiting, he happens to be an EE so we robbed a zenith for a core and wound our own width coil. Seems to work fine, 150-ish turns of #26 magnet wire in 3 layers covered in clear nail polish. But the focus control is seized and it seems the audio output transformer is shorted, more work ahead...

Yeah, but you got a GOOD CRT, & it IS making a picture...