Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
I also had a guy in Arizona use them who bought an RCA round screen color from me a few years ago. When he decided to go with C&F, I was very weary and sure enough, they spent all that effort to "box it up" on a pallet which is a total waste of time as nothing is protected from the shock of the ride and the TV bounced around so bad in the back of the semi that the convergence clover broke to bits and almost ALL of the tubes literally popped out of their sockets and were rolling around in the cabinet. It was a shame since the set was mint and then a bunch of cracked solder joints to go with it. So bottom line: DO NOT use a service in which a TV will be potentially shipped in the back of a semi truck, especially if it's toward the back of the trailer where the most shock and damage will occur.[/QUOTE]

Whoaaaa! I believe I'm the guy from Arizona your talking about. I bought the RCA Canton from you and used Craters & Frighters and what you said is not true. The only thing that did happen is the CRT shifted a tiny bit. It was easy to put back in position. No broken parts, no loose tubes, no cracked solder joints and it is still mint. The symptom I mentioned to you on the phone was corrected by adjusting the oscillator slug. It's all documented here:

http://www.visions4.net/journal/vintage-rca-color-tv/

Doug, I'm very pleased with the set and Craters & Freighters protected my investment very well.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
You will get what you pay for.
Amen to that. I have used Craters & Freighters several times with outstanding results when they packaged and shipped the item. I have also used U-Ship, but keep in mind that U-Ship is only a broker. It is YOUR responsibility to vet the shipper beforehand and make sure you have a clear agreement on exactly how the item will be packaged and handled, all the way to your front door.

Phil Nelson
Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Administrator

I've had three sets packed and shipped by C&F, all were packed superbly and none had the slightest shipping damage. They shipped my 621TS via Air Freight from coast to coast then trucked it to my door, that was actually the cheapest one to ship.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
I also had a guy in Arizona use them who bought an RCA round screen color from me a few years ago. When he decided to go with C&F, I was very weary and sure enough, they spent all that effort to "box it up" on a pallet which is a total waste of time as nothing is protected from the shock of the ride and the TV bounced around so bad in the back of the semi that the convergence clover broke to bits and almost ALL of the tubes literally popped out of their sockets and were rolling around in the cabinet. It was a shame since the set was mint and then a bunch of cracked solder joints to go with it. So bottom line: DO NOT use a service in which a TV will be potentially shipped in the back of a semi truck, especially if it's toward the back of the trailer where the most shock and damage will occur.
I'm glad to hear your set is well. However, I wasn't referencing the Canton in that case (I sold the Canton in July of last year I believe). The set I'm referring to was an upright CTC-16 I sold in 2011 to a gentleman in Sun City. I remember your set had minor issues too which fortunately were easily corrected, but not NEARLY as bad as the CTC-16. But since you mentioned it, the Canton was no exception either, none of those issues should have happened in transit! I've been VERY weary of long distance transports that go in the back of semi trucks.

Everyone can say what they want about uship, and it's understandable that you can get stuck with some incompetent person, but I've met some VERY competent people through them and re-hired them without going back to uship. That's the best service anyone can ask for.

Last edited by drh4683; 10-03-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Thank you for for explaining. The coincidence was uncanny. You and I spoke and you mentioned to check to see if the tubes were loose and you also mentioned cracked solder boards. The set was purchased over a year ago, it was a RCA color round screen and I used Craters & Freighters. The set was built upon a pallet system as you had described. One thing CF did for me was was to install a "shock" system designed to absorb highway vibration. They also installed shock meters on the outside of the crate and gave me instructions to inspect upon delivery. The shock meters did not rupture.

Yes the CRT tilted just a tiny bit, but that was an easy fix. Just loosen up a few screws and rotate the CRT back in position.That was it. I am amazed to hear the kind of damage you described. How does one toss around a 375 to 400 lb crate on a pallet? Those heavy trucks are so posed to have what is called "air ride".

Here is an example of a "surprise" on a Uship delivery. It was a short haul from San Francsico to my area near Phoenix. The shipper in his ad showed a covered cab vehicle. I put notes that I cannot assist with delivery into my garage. The set was a 350 lb 36 inch Sony CRT set. I had a bad back and a hernia operation.

The set arrived on time, in an open trailer with no hydraulic lift. It was just covered in furniture blankets and the shipper wanted me to help him lift that beast off his truck and then place it on a dolly. No way I said. He had to ring a few neighbor doorbells to find a beefy guy to help him. I was embarrassed to put my neighbor through that. So if you have a single driver, at least have a hydraulic lift with a pallet mover to lift heavy loads.

Last edited by etype2; 10-03-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Audiokarma
Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I don't think the truck gave the tvs a rough ride.... Shipping is done somewhat like
air travel. Items move towards their destination in a hub-spoke method.
I worked at a cross country shipping company many years ago.
Shipping across many states items are shipped from one terminal to another.
Upon arrival each truck is unpacked, and loaded onto a new truck headed
closer to the item's final destination. Forklifts generally don't have "air ride"
they ride on solid tires, there are often uneven ramps, cement
floors with seams that bump cargo, etc. I would bet most damage is done in transferring
between vehicles.... Forklift drivers tend to be hot-dogs driving quite fast,
and their job is to load and unload quickly. We often has speared items
from a slightly missed target by a FL Driver....

Oddly enough the less weight in your delivery truck, the more bumpy the ride
is likely to be. Because the springs are really hard. So that last 20 miles
to your house, over your pothole local streets are going to be the worst.

If you pick it up at a terminal, you can avoid the last 20 horror ! Ha ha !

Best option is like someone said, get 1 person to take it in a van, or pickup,
on an old mattress, all the way, no transferring, etc. I moved my ctc5 face down
on an old mattress, it was fine. Philly to Upstate NY.

Last edited by Username1; 10-03-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Workin' Late Again

Try to avoid shipping large items through freezing temp zones. Plastics especially become very brittle. I'd also be cautious of shipping metal CRT types through cold climates, and probably CRT's in general would be better off shipped during the warmer months.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

My experience with Uship has always been good, other than the fact I used a mover again two years later and he didn't take care of the Magnavox properly and I ended up having to repair the cabinet, and he ended up refunding me half my money back.. Luckily nothing major was broken.. Make sure the mover you use takes good care of it, and tell them to remove the legs if it's a set that has screw in legs.. Also make sure to mention the back cover where the tube exceeds the back.. It usually takes around a month from the end of the auction date until the set is at your front door.... I usually tell them that Im in no rush and take your time.. Keep in mind those movers usually make alot more money with bigger things, and especially animals.. The guy I used 3 or 4 times was mostly an animal shipper, he owned a minivan and would have my set amongst animal cages.. The most important things is to remove unscrewable legs, and blanket wrap the set from being scratched, and the strap it down if it's not being held in by other things...
Old 11-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Decided to try uship lets see how this might go!

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyMan View Post
Decided to try uship lets see how this might go!
If you use uship do not use dusk2dawn they picked up 3 Tv's for me in July and I still don't have them.
Audiokarma
Old 11-05-2015, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

What city and state is the TV located? I may have someone you can use..
Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
What city and state is the TV located? I may have someone you can use..
Bellingham, Mass 02019

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmmm.. I don't think I have anyone that will go there.. I'm sure you'll find someone.. I've always had good results within a few days to a week..