Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Eckhard- WOW... Just WOW...(Grin)...
Ditto! Plus, did you catch these Russian black beauties...

http://www.wlamp.narod.ru/pic/T2_29.jpg [click on this same url you'll see in the page that pops up]

Probably worth ten bumblebee bucks each on eBay
Old 09-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Would LOVE to have one of those "Zvezda-54" sets...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
VK Member

Hi folks!

I have got an East German SECAM color tv set and tested it with an old SECAM video recording from the 1980, recorded from East German Television. The attached screenshots show the SECAM performance like I found it also in live broadcastings in these old days.

The bright red and blue splashs in the picture are a common fault of the SECAM system. When I saw the first time SECAM color tv, I thought it depends on the tv set. But later I realized that every East German color tv set has this problem with the colors.

Another critical point was the fine tuning of the channel. With fine tuning the hue changed, and you have to adjust the fine tuning for best color reproducing.

I do not now whether French SECAM color television has the same problems.

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (72.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (60.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember going to my Grandparents house every weekend with my Dad to repair their TV's. He was a TV repairman.
I remember the Dumont with a metal tube, then they bought a 24" B&W Magnavox TV which they watched till about the late 1960's, they sold the Mag for $40 to a neighbor. They wanted a color TV. I remember my dad getting them a Sylvania with a few tubes in it. They loved to watch TV, they were retired. Every weekend we had to go over there to "visit". It was either a HOT, a shorted transistor, one time the power transformer opened up, the picture tube replaced, the sound quit, and the worst was the mechanical tuner, always needed cleaning, then it wore out from them changing the channel all the time. When it quit in 1977, they said they wanted a TV with remote because it was a lot of effort to get out of the chair all the time to change the channel and volume. They also wanted a cabinet that matched the furniture. By then Solid State was taking over, I was sold on the top of the line Magnavox Star TV. I bought them one as a gift, it cost $1000. The picture was great, it had remote, in a beautiful cabinet. They got sick when they found out the cost. They felt terrible that I spent that kind of money on them, they reimbursed me. I know the TV didn't act up for almost 9 years, the picture tube was replaced after 4 years, and some sensor in the front for the remote. They passed away, I was told to pick up the TV or it was getting thrown out. It sat in the living room for a year, it still worked, picture had a very slight jitter in it, sold it for $100 in 1989, that person sold it for $250.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very interesting display of SECAM! I had read of the shortcomings but never seen them.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

So SECAM wasn't really a great system, or what? I personally have no knowledge of anything except NTSC.

eberts, the Magnavox Star system TVs were always among my favorites from that era. They seem quite rare these days. Any pics?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
So SECAM wasn't really a great system, or what? I personally have no knowledge of anything except NTSC.

eberts, the Magnavox Star system TVs were always among my favorites from that era. They seem quite rare these days. Any pics?
I don't know if I have a pic of that TV, except in my head.
I remember changing channels with the remote, no click or clack noise.
the picture would change in an instant, the channel numeral would be displayed on the screen, then shrink away. They thought it was so cool that the picture was so clear and vivid, they could see the pimples on the actors' faces.
I remember Magnavox evolved to newer chasis by the 80's with the inline 100 degree tubes 25VEUP22 made by Rauland. My Dad bought one of those for himself, it was $750. If the back of the main chassis was not soldered properly where the horizontal board plugged in, the picture tube neck would get a hole in it, and the neck would fall off. Self destructing TV's. I am going to throw that chassis and tube out, keeping the fancy white cabinet, put a flat panel TV into it.
Yea, someday, by then Mars will have been colonized.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 AM
VK Member

I have a French PAL to SECAM converter. The color reproduction with it is as good as PAL with a modern tv set. No color splashs, no hue bias.

The bad color reproduction of the Eastern SECAM broadcasts might be depend on the studio equipment and cameras.

But for a final conclusion I have to see SECAM broadcasts of today like in France.

- Eckhard
Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
I have a French PAL to SECAM converter. The color reproduction with it is as good as PAL with a modern tv set. No color splashs, no hue bias.

The bad color reproduction of the Eastern SECAM broadcasts might be depend on the studio equipment and cameras.

But for a final conclusion I have to see SECAM broadcasts of today like in France.

- Eckhard
So, the color splashes are only with VCR tape, not with the live/converter? That might be more understandable. I do not know how SECAM VCRs work for the color channel, but I can imagine the FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio might not always be good enough on tape.

Also, I am surprised to hear that fine tuning affected the hue - do you know the mechanism for this distortion? Is the effect gradual or abrupt? Is it worse on taped material or the same as with the converter?

Thanks for the interesting report!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe the DDR transmitters were intentionally setup to transmit over a West German transmitter to prevent "cultural contamination from the opulent west" and the chroma artifact was a result?

During the Vancouver worlds fair back in '86 many nations who had pavilions ran videos from their countries in their native format.

Aside from the really nasty flicker from a 50Hz video being viewed under 60Hz lighting (many later changed their lighting to incandescent for this reason), I never saw any of the color artifacts in the previous pictures, and I distinctly remember seeing many running off of VHS or U-Matic.
The French pavilion ran all Secam TV's at their pavilion.

I'm one of the not so few that when I travel to countries with 50Hz video, I can't help but see flicker. Even after a couple of months, I still see the flicker.
Audiokarma
Old 04-20-2008, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was under the impression that France discontinued SECAM broadcasts in the late '80's, and is now using a PAL system. Anyone know for sure?
Kevin
Old 04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
So, the color splashes are only with VCR tape, not with the live/converter? That might be more understandable. I do not know how SECAM VCRs work for the color channel, but I can imagine the FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio might not always be good enough on tape.
Also, I am surprised to hear that fine tuning affected the hue - do you know the mechanism for this distortion? Is the effect gradual or abrupt? Is it worse on taped material or the same as with the converter?
Thanks for the interesting report!
The hue fine tuning effect is gradual. The color splashes were visible in SECAM live transmissions in the 1980s also, not only on VHS. Perhaps the different video bandwidth in France and in East Germany might be the reason. France has a video bandwidth of 6 MHz, East Germany only 5 MHz. So, the FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio is worser for East Germany SECAM as for France SECAM. Russia and the Eastern block have 6 MHz video bandwidth. SECAM was designed for this.

East Germany has also 6 MHz video bandwidth in the early years. This results in no sound for East German TV in West Germany. With respect to communist propaganda for West Germany, the video bandwidth was changed to 5 MHz and the same audio IF like here, so we could listen to the communist's propaganda. All East German tv sets had to be readjusted to get sound again after the change of the video bandwidth. But the handicap was, that SECAM was running with limited video bandwidth and a worser FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio like in any other SECAM country.

- Eckhard
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

In other words, it sounds like Yoorup was a big nasty mess, TV-wise. PAL, Secam, NTSC on American bases, 50 vs 60 Hz juice, Commies 'n' The Decadent West playing "Can You Top This ?" W/each other...(grin)
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Hi,

First color TV I ever saw was my grandmother's 1964 Zenith roundie. Superb picture and pretty reliable considering us kids. She later got an Admiral roundie which needed repairs very frequently. My first Color TV was a 1971 Sony Trinitron (15"). My parents got the Zenith roundie and used it to 1973, Dad got us a black and white which we watched until December 1977. My brother was home on leave from the Navy and didn't want to watch the football games in B&W. So, for an early Christmas gift, he bought us a 17" Sony Trinitron (The biggest Sony sold in the USA then).
Old 08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
VK Member

Hi,

in the next days we will get a Sovjet Raduga color tv set, see attachment. This set was introduced in 1967 and was the first color tv set sold to the public in the USSR. This tv set is very rare, most of these tv sets got fire while watching television. More photos will follow.

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raduga.jpg (95.2 KB, 41 views)
Audiokarma