Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

15gp22

i e-mailed them this time.. here is a cut and paste..and he never called,my caller id on my phone would have told me so.. and now he says they are closed till jan 2006???

Terry:
I do not know where you get yoiur facts from,I did return your calls,in one instance I left a message and in the orther instances I did not leave any messages,you are no the only person we have call on,on a daily basis, and it is not my fault when I call you are not there,we do rebuild the Tubes but we are closed for the holidys and will reopen the second week of January 2006,we however will be replying to emails every couple of days.
What do you want to find out ?

Regards
Brian Holder
Technical Manager
Old 12-09-2005, 06:20 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Damn, we're just a tad touchy, aren't we? What this putzella don't realise is that if he MAKES NICE, there could be a whole bunch of business being sent his way...I'd hazard a guess a reasonable amount of the old-TV fraternity are either members here, or lurkers, & being kinda smart-alecky like that is NOT a good thing...Just my .02 worth..-Sandy G.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:55 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Wow... that's some nice English and spelling.

Don't know if I'd trust very much to this "Technical Manager".
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy
i e-mailed them this time.. here is a cut and paste..and he never called,my caller id on my phone would have told me so.. and now he says they are closed till jan 2006???

Terry:
I do not know where you get yoiur facts from,I did return your calls,in one instance I left a message and in the orther instances I did not leave any messages,you are no the only person we have call on,on a daily basis, and it is not my fault when I call you are not there,we do rebuild the Tubes but we are closed for the holidys and will reopen the second week of January 2006,we however will be replying to emails every couple of days.
What do you want to find out ?

Regards
Brian Holder
Technical Manager

So wiseguy, what exactly did you do to this dude? I wouldn't want to take anything out of context, we all might get the wrong impression; but the references to the number of messages is curious. How many did you leave him? He seems a bit upset about facts. Darn right edgy. The way he tells it, it sounds like you're calling "on a daily basis"? I'd let the litmus test for ESL pass on this guy. Technical managers are not always the best public relations managers - of course some are great at it. Besides, telephone tag has its moments! Say, maybe you could suggest some mutually aggreable time to chat.

BTW, both Steve D. and myself got emails originally from Ian Charles. I plan to give Mr. Charles until the end of this week before pursuing a reply from him. Now, that should be interesting...
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Reminds me of an ex-boss I had... He owned the (nameless out of mercy) TV repair shop in (small equestrian section of Northwest Los Angeles County that ends in ___orth)... He once was so upset that I diagnosed a cracked CRT in a Mitsubishi Bigscreen that he ordered me to "SUCK THE AIR OUT AND SILICONE IT BACK TOGETHER" so he could get the repair

I wonder if they know eachother?

Charles
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I called them 3 x and not everyday,i didnt say anything as i didnt get to speak to anyone,i then left an e-mail asking if the 15GP22 can really be rebuilt and how much and also asked how long..other people have been calling them and e-mailing ..
they emailed me yesterday back.. here is a cut and paste..

Hello.
The tube can be rebuilt,at present I cannot give you a price not until next year as we have just changed Gun Suppliers and will not know the price for a while,until the negotiation with the new supplier is completed ,We will contact you then.

Regards
Brian Holder
1-864-985-1556
1-864-882-6593 Fax

Regards
Brian Holder
Technical Manager
Old 12-14-2005, 07:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

A new gun supplier for the 15GP22? Do they have a time machine?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'll say what others are probably thinking: these guys don't know anything about a 15GP22 & maybe don't even know if its bw or color. They just assume all old picture tubes are readily rebuildable & why should this one be any different? If they had ever done one before I really think someone on this forum would know about it. If they have never done one before I wouldn't think their luck would be any better than Hawkeye. I would like to find out I'm wrong about all this.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, I'm beginning to smell a mouse...-Sandy G.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:20 PM
On Land

Curious... just how easy is it to find an NOS gun for the 15g? Is it easier to find a gun than the actual tube? Or is it just as difficult? Anyone know of how many guns are accountable now? I'm sure there are some out there, but, it can't be too many. And I'm sure if someone has a gun, it's probably worth more than it's weight in gold!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2005, 02:00 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

Oh those optimistic CRT rebuilders!

I visited a CRT rebuilder called Superior Tube in Carteret, NJ about 10 or 12 years ago when I was first trying to get my 12AP4 rebuilt. I knew nothing at the time of the obstacles to having this done. But the guy there was in the business, and more than willing to take on the job, so off I went, with all the various pieces of my tube in hand.

However it seems that the "old guy" whom I never met had recently sold the business to his assistant (or was it his accountant?) and the "new guy" was either naively optimistic or perhaps just desperately trying to make ends meet.

What a strange place it was! I should have gone back and taken some pictures. The "inventory" of dud color tubes was kept mostly outside, face down on the front lawn. I guess that probably worked ok, but it reminded me of some kind of weird Halloween display.

Inside, it was dark and dirty. I remember thinking "how can they work on something as precise as the inside of a picture tube with all of this dirt around?". There were racks and racks full of duds inside, mostly color but also one whole section containing "antique" tubes. He assured me that he should be able to find a 12AP4 in inventory, but of course that wasn't to be. But he urged me to leave my tube with him, in fact he would begin the job NOW. He wanted to cut the neck off right away, that day (maybe to lock me in as a customer?) and then order a new gun assembly. Then a few days and a hundred and fifty bucks later, I'd be on my way with a good-as-new tube!

I looked at the wobbly, ancient lathe he was using to weld the new gun assemblies onto the tubes, and the sooty bunsen burner flame that was used to melt the glass. And the steel mesh safety cages surrounding the evacuation area, all of which were full of broken glass on the floor, several inches deep! And I started to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea!

I didn't know at the time that there was no way he was going to be able to rebuild my tube (and obviously he didn't either), but I got the heebie-jeebies from the Frankenstein-esque atmosphere of the place. I've never been to any other picture tube rebuilding enterprise, but I really hope that's not how it's actually done! I've also been told that someone was selling some kit or franchise (or snake oil?) decades ago which would allow you to rebuild tubes in your garage. I don't know if that could have been true -- does anybody have any info on that?

So anyway I decided to wait a bit before I committed. I'm glad I did, 'cause when I went back a few months later, the shop was gone.

--Dave
Old 12-14-2005, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Guns for 15GP22s are impossible to find. Guns for the 21 inch round tubes are still around, but hard to find. Anyone who rebuilds a 15G has to rebuild the existing gun.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Speaking of that.......

If one did find some old, NOS gun assemblies for 15g's or other old tubes, and they had been sitting exposed to air, for all of this time, they would NOT be useable, would they?? After all, I figure that one thing that makes one tube last longer and perform better than the others, is the purity of the cathode material . So, if an old, unused cathode assembly was welded onto a tube, it wouldn't work very well, would it? or am I totally wrong about this?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:46 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

an actual 15GP22 NOS-type gun...

Here's a link to a graphic on my site of an actual 15GP22 gun that was used years ago in an attempt to rebuild the 15G. We now have new stems as you know, but back then they were not available and so this was someones way of trying to make do. This gun is welded onto a 14AH button, the base for the 21AXP22. No one knows if this approach was ever actually tried, but it seems unlikely. As you can see, this particular guy has been in the air for many years now.

http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/15GP22...em8bitgrey.jpg
Old 12-14-2005, 11:47 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

What's all the hub-bub? Just go down to Dunbar like I did, and get your 15GP22 rebuilt for $29.50! See the photo?............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............ April Fool in December!

Actually, this Polaroid photo was of the job that Dunbar did for Gary and me on re-evacuating. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I think (or in another). The result was that the vacuum stayed for about a month, then the neck started getting the dreaded purple glow. Circa 1982.

Charles

Oh, and BTW: The photo is free to be saved & posted elsewhere by anyone....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15GP22rebuildingSmlFile.jpg (59.8 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Kaye-Halbert TV; 12-14-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Audiokarma