Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not really.
If the regulator is not working then yes the picture will bounce with scene changes.
There is another problem though if the thing loads down, blooms, blurs out and the 3A3 filament dies.
Ok maybe I am talking out my ass, ignore me
Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

the hv does not hold steady it will go from 24kv to 23kv so this is not steady. this is where the hv pot is at , max 24kv and if i lower it to 20kv it drops more with scene changes and tweaking the eff coil did nothing if anything i maybe got alittle as the hv probe needle moved up a speck when i lowered the ma to 190ma. i am about ready to air a nasty video of a silvertone in its last days,lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Not really.
If the regulator is not working then yes the picture will bounce with scene changes.
There is another problem though if the thing loads down, blooms, blurs out and the 3A3 filament dies.
Ok maybe I am talking out my ass, ignore me
your right dan this is whats happening rec tube filiment dims blurrs, blooms, ect.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

you are worried about a 1kv change? that's it? a total of 1kv? from dark to light? are you serious?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

How about C96 and C97? I have seen those go bad, they usually short.

A few kv or swing is not a problem and is normal.

When does it bloom?
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

no im not bothered by that but scene changes the hv drops from 24kv depending on the scene like white or others it will drop to 19kv. so its not regulating or something is dragging the hv down for whatever reason.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

if those 2 caps are off the lin pot then no they were not changed.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
no im not bothered by that but scene changes the hv drops from 24kv depending on the scene like white or others it will drop to 19kv. so its not regulating or something is dragging the hv down for whatever reason.
I was talking to davewm and we agree if you are able to get the 1.5ma off the shunt, the hv is working ok.
Sounds like something is loading it down, overdriving the crt.

So if you get a commercial or something thats all white with text then the picture blows out and blooms??
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

no it actually dont bloom from that its only bwhen i wanted to raise the crt bias to brighten it up alittle thats when it blooms and when white scenes are present the picture goes alittle dark because theres not enough hv it seems. if i leave the bias ccw i dont bloom but different colors make it dark and i confermed this by watching the hv probe on different scenes bias down.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe it had an esl dump.
Did you do the setup the way it says in sams under greyscale? Does that end up with the bias to high?
If you have a really strong crt the bias will be all the way down. You really only want to advance the bias once one of the screens is maxed out.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Maybe it had an esl dump.
Did you do the setup the way it says in sams under greyscale? Does that end up with the bias to high?
If you have a really strong crt the bias will be all the way down. You really only want to advance the bias once one of the screens is maxed out.
did the grey scale so many times now and it improves nothing. the thing with the drives,rgb i cannot get the rgb lines across the screen unless i raise the bias alittle then i put the service switch back to normal and then i have to lower the bias because its all bloomed. this is the only way to see the color line in the setup, nothing in the sams about bias at least that i remember. the strange thing is i can leave the rgb drives ccw and still have good color.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM
<----Zenith C845

If that jumper is missing, put it back as soon as possible to restore the regulation. If your HV goes too high, the CRT neck may shear off.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhs View Post
if that jumper is missing, put it back as soon as possible to restore the regulation. If your hv goes too high, the crt neck may shear off.
its back....
Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
If that jumper is missing, put it back as soon as possible to restore the regulation. If your HV goes too high, the CRT neck may shear off.
HAHAHA its not a 70s Zenith, its a silvertone roundie that can hardly produce 24kv when hit by lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
did the grey scale so many times now and it improves nothing. the thing with the drives,rgb i cannot get the rgb lines across the screen unless i raise the bias alittle then i put the service switch back to normal and then i have to lower the bias because its all bloomed. this is the only way to see the color line in the setup, nothing in the sams about bias at least that i remember. the strange thing is i can leave the rgb drives ccw and still have good color.
Check the video output and voltages on the crt. I have a feeling something is being overdriven.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

maybe its time to just put it together and watch it the way it is rather then drive everyone including myself nuts. its been like this from day one and was told by don lindsly that something is loading it down and we were not able to figure it out yet. anyone want to buy a 63 silvertone,
Audiokarma