Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM
I love old stuff

Any one collects or uses old BIG electric apliances?

Any one collects or uses old BIG electric apliances? Like washingmachines, combo washingmachine/ladundry dryer, laundrary dryers, fridges/freezers/fridge + freezer combo, air condition.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I would use most of those things if I lived in a house. For the most part I have to use building owner-issued junk. It doesn't really bother me though, I don't have to pay to fix or replace the stuff. However, I have an old Kenmore A/C unit designed for casement windows, a newer but still decent Kenmore A/C unit in rather rough shape and a 1984 Kenmore microwave/convection oven that's used every day.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 AM
Peanut Head

Just a big old Sunbeam toaster...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0306.jpg (61.9 KB, 205 views)

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 PM
The Resident Brony

Back in our old house, I had set up a 1950's kitchen in the basement, because my mom expressed a desire for a retro kitchen. Appliances were an Admiral fridge and a Roper gas stove. Both of which needed some work, but nothing major. We generally plugged in the fridge a little before thanksgiving and used it for holiday food storage until after xmas. When the whole family came over for a holiday, a second stove was almost impossible to do without. Especially with a thanksgiving turkey in the main kitchen's oven all day long, we would bake pies and casseroles in the basement. We moved about 5 years ago, but I kept the appliances. Sadly, they need much more attention now than before.

The fridge I got by putting a want ad up on craigslist, the reply was from the daughter of an old lady. The fridge was in the basement of their house, and it looked like it was probably used sometimes. I think I paid $40 for it, and the lady tried to sell me a Sunbeam mixer for $70, I was like lolno. The fridge always cooled very well (good old R12 system), but now it needs a door gasket ($200 from the antiqueappliances.com - the only people who still manufacture it) and as long as I've had it, it was missing a little electric heater that sat in the condensate pan and evaporated it, so if I run the fridge it just constantly drips water. Ideally I'd like to dismantle it entirely, sand blast, and repaint, because the paint looks terrible up close. Oh yeah, interestingly, it has two unique features, 1. it has a 'Magic Ray Lamp' inside (a little UV light bulb) apparently to kill bacteria and make ozone to stop flavors of uncovered foods from mixing, and 2. it has a glow-in-the-dark radium door handle INSIDE so little Timmy doesn't get trapped inside while playing hide and seek.

The stove I got from a for sale ad on craigslist. The poster was in charge of demolishing a ~1950s ranch house - no idea why, it looked fine. The stove was still hooked up in the kitchen of the house, which looked entirely original. Yellow countertops, floral pattern wallpaper, crappy linoleum, the works. I wound up taking a section of base cabinet and a bunch of chrome handles from that kitchen as well. I can still use the stove, in fact, it's one hell of a performer. Not like these modern stoves, where each burner is a little smaller than the next. All 4 burners are approx. 4 inch diameter, and each one is a double burner. One outer ring, and another inner ring, that's a lot of fire! Has great control over it too, turning the knob from 0-50% only operates the little inner ring, 50-100% turns the inner ring down a lot and lights the outer ring, as you turn it up, it turns up both. I swear it could boil a pot of water in half the time as our modern stove.

Sadly, the top deck or panel or whatever you call it, has two rust holes on either side. A common problem with Ropers apparently, it's because the pilot light heat is directed straight to the either edge of the deck. As it's porcelain enamel, I'd have to repair the rust holes entirely in steel (no bondo or brazing [not that I like brazing]) and send it out to be re-enameled, about $500. And I'd like to delete the problem-causing pilot lights, and replace with electric ignition. For the purists out there, not only do the pilot lights cause rust holes, they always took too long to light the burners as well. I stripped a junk stove of it's electrics not long ago, so I have the stuff for retrofit, just not the time.

And then there's that Kenmore wringer washer. I was maybe 14 or so, walking to school, which I went out the back of the house, through the alley, and a couple houses down there was this washing machine next to the garbage cans. I looked at it, there was nothing crucially wrong with it, so I wheeled it to my back yard, and it's been in my care ever since. It's been ages since I plugged it in, but I recall that it did run. Still, it's going to need the whole restoration. On the bright side, the porcelain is perfect, and the rest of it is just paint, so it just needs a couple dents banged out and a respray. Now if only I can cajole this one guy I know to part with his washer's timer cover and knob...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kit15.jpg (47.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20160616_231739.jpg (48.9 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by MadMan; 04-11-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I would use most of those things if I lived in a house. For the most part I have to use building owner-issued junk. It doesn't really bother me though, I don't have to pay to fix or replace the stuff. However, I have an old Kenmore A/C unit designed for casement windows, a newer but still decent Kenmore A/C unit in rather rough shape and a 1984 Kenmore microwave/convection oven that's used every day.
Sears didn't use the Kenmore name for their cooling appliances earlier.
IIRC, they used the Coldspot name until the early '70's.
Audiokarma
Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 PM
Peanut Head

Friends of mine had a Hotpoint fridge and a Coldspot range/oven combo.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Friends of mine had a Hotpoint fridge and a Coldspot range/oven combo.
Wasn't there a Daffy Duck cartoon where he had to deal with a Possessed lady and the stove was full of ice and the freezer was full of flame?...Your post sounds like a tamer version of that joke.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

There's a small shop near me that sells and repairs electrical appliances, something increasingly rare on the high street in the UK. In their shop they have a Hoover "Keymatic" washing machine. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...nes_museum.JPG

These machines were found in trendy homes in the 1970s and looked like no other washing machine before or since. The programme was selected by inserting a "keyplate" https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheste...7601120083935/ The keyplate mechanism was not reliable. A gimmick really.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Sears didn't use the Kenmore name for their cooling appliances earlier.
IIRC, they used the Coldspot name until the early '70's.
I don't know exactly what vintage it is but it's definitely a Kenmore.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
These machines were found in trendy homes in the 1970s and looked like no other washing machine before or since. The programme was selected by inserting a "keyplate" https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheste...7601120083935/ The keyplate mechanism was not reliable. A gimmick really.
Well that's COOL. It's like a punchcard system for your washing machine! I can see why it would be impractical. Definitely a gimmick (punchcards in the era of early computing), but I don't see why it would be inherently unreliable. Maybe just a poor design.
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2018, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the Keymatic was too complicated for its own good. Washing machine is also a fairly hostile environment with moist air and lots of vibration. Combine that with engineering down to a price and you've got problems.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:52 AM
I love old stuff

Here is another washing machine that haves a card (it's not mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWICPMVuylg

It's not mine, but what do you see here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07Vokx8n8g&t=33s
Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Just a big old Sunbeam toaster...

That toaster is actually a retro reproduction of an earlier design. The Sunbeam logo is silk-screened on.
We had two Sunbeam toasters, the self lowering "Radiant Control" model. When they got older, the toasting wasn't consistent.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I think the Keymatic was too complicated for its own good. Washing machine is also a fairly hostile environment with moist air and lots of vibration. Combine that with engineering down to a price and you've got problems.
Hoover was never a big name in large appliances in the US. Beside floor cleaning appliances, they made compact washers, dryers and small fridges.
They did sell small appliances, Irons, toasters, blenders and mixers for a short time.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Motorola Minion

Right good question for me Telecolor! Glad you asked, or maybe not. I'm certifiable when it comes to the big vintage items.

I have three one-door refrigerator-freezers, 1950 Philco in basement is daily use, yet barely runs.
For drinks in the summer kitchen, 1947 Westinghouse with small ice box, and a Hardwick 5-burner gas range, no pic.

Philco E1104 a.jpg

1951 Kelvinator I've had for 25 years but I suspect its losing charge at last.
Kelvinator TMb.jpg
A very-electric, non-energy star 1963 Montgomery-Ward dryer built by Norge like a tank. All appliances had these fluorescent lights built in, maybe for sale gimmick, I dunno.
IMG_6401.jpg
The speed queen is only 5 years old and I would recommend this to anyone burned by the others. Consumer reports panned the SQ AWN-series washer because it used too much water, losing my confidence in CU.
If I could, I would find a Westinghouse https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=clickbut my wife would make me do all of the laundry instead of 50%

I also use an Arvin 2-slice toaster, with brown-braid asbestos cord power cord , Arvin was their tv-radio-appliance name after the Noblitt-Sparks company was no longer making war goods.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Audiokarma