Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

'53 Zenith Cobra-Matic S-9010

Does anyone know what replacement stylus/cartridge this phonograph requires?
Any information/links would be greatly appreciated.
This is the model:
Old 11-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Peanut Head

I think those used a proprietary cartridge that rather than producing voltage, varied capacitance and worked with an oscillator.
I may be wrong....but that's how I remember it.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
I think those used a proprietary cartridge that rather than producing voltage, varied capacitance and worked with an oscillator.
I may be wrong....but that's how I remember it.
Thank you very much for your input. Not being adept at electronic theory/repair, what options does that leave me with should I want to replace the needle? The one it has right now is fine, but I always prefer to make the investment for a new one when I acquire an old phono., and just put the old one aside.
Thanks again!
Joe
Old 11-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Zenith Cobra cartridge. Expect to pay around $65 for one. They were expensive. And also used in mono era Wurlitzer jukeboxes except for the last model.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Zenith Cobra cartridge. Expect to pay around $65 for one. They were expensive. And also used in mono era Wurlitzer jukeboxes except for the last model.
Thank you for the info.
I was told by the seller of the phono that the cartridge is "not easy to find" and I equated that to " it's expensive"!
Do I simply search for a "Zenith Cobra cartridge", or do I need to get more specific?
Audiokarma
Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

They have gotten hard to find, and of course not suitable for stereo records anyway. There was a red version , and a green, one for 78s and the other for Lp/45, and a lot of these were equipped with a compromise needle that wasn't the right size for either type of record. Hard to replace with a regular cartridge, without some modification. These use an oscillator to feed a coil in the cartridge. The moving vane attached to the needle varies the inductance of the coil, modulating the oscillator signal, which then feeds into a detector that demodulates the AM modulated signal. To fit a regular cartridge requires wiring into the first audio stage. (or a pre-amp too for a magnetic cart)
Searching for Zenith Cobra cartridge turned up new ones for $70. Not sure how the quality is, these are reproductions. The needles are not replaceable, you have to pop in a whole cartridge.

Last edited by Olorin67; 11-14-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

If this is something you plan on using often, you might consider modifying it to use a standard ceramic cartridge. As expensive as those cobra cartridges are, I'd hate to think that I had to sehll out $70 every time I needed a stylus. As popular as these are, you'd think Pfanstiehl (current aftermarket cartridge/stylus supplier) would have these made again.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
If this is something you plan on using often, you might consider modifying it to use a standard ceramic cartridge. As expensive as those cobra cartridges are, I'd hate to think that I had to sehll out $70 every time I needed a stylus. As popular as these are, you'd think Pfanstiehl (current aftermarket cartridge/stylus supplier) would have these made again.
Thanks to all the great advice, I'm pretty sure I know what I need and at what price (eeek!). I plan to go with the original green (33/45) cobra and use the unit sparingly. The one odd thing about the S-9010 is there is no specific spot to safely place the tone-arm when it's not in use. It's way too easy to damage the needle!

Last edited by decojoe67; 11-15-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just wanted to inform anyone who has one of these units that it seems the proper place to store the tone arm when not in use is actually on top of the right white slide knob! I just looked through the original manual online. It seems the pointed shape secures the arm fairly well. Even when it's in it's furthest position to the left, it does not reach the stylus tip.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Had a look at my cobramatic, and it take the later cartridge that is similar in sizze and shape, but has side contacts inastead of the female prongs on the back of the red/green cobra cartridges. mine is one of the later tan changers with a stroboscope. Does that mean mine has a ceramic cartridge? Anyone have luck fitting a more modern cartridge to these?
Audiokarma
Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Re-flocked and looking pretty good!