Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Who's killing a Zenith roundie in Detroit?

Remember that TV I offered the seller a little extra to hold 'til the Saturday he claimed he couldn't sell it before anyway? The one he sold that same night when another guy came to look at his "googie-eames-era-50s-furniture"? Well I had a feeling that set was doomed, and it appears I am correct.

Quote:
I purchased this tv a few weeks ago here on craigs, and intend to repurpose the cabinet. I have been told the tubes and parts are valuable to collectors, so am offering them as a complete package. I can go down a bit on price if you remove them yourself. Again, The price is for the parts only, I am keeping the cabinet.
So I email clown #2, and I get this response:

Quote:
Thanks for your interest,

I have a fellow from out of state interested in the parts, and will give him several days to complete the transaction. If for some reason he is unable to follow through, I will call you next.

Cheers,
Yes, I said "clown". I could care less if this fool reads this posting. I followed his reply with an offer to buy the set, AND give him a choice of a couple other already-gutted cabinets. No reply.

So do tell, is it someone on this website who is aiding the destruction of this pretty rare blonde TV?

Ironic that the set is getting trashed because the first time it was offered by a seller with no integrity, now it's getting trashed because Mr. Integrity wants to wait for his out-of-state buyer to come through... And really, if he's not talking to anyone else, why is the post still on Craigslist?

Feel free to report as spam:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/atq/2346794374.html
Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ugh....
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
sampson159

too pretty and rare to destroy.when i see this kind of thing it makes me angry.this set deserves to be saved as a whole!get his name and number.i ll send the boys from philly over.if something were to happen,we never had this conversation...........
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I might add that I replied the same day the ad was posted, (within a few hours) so somebody besides myself combs the Detroit craigslist pretty hard... It would seem without the ability to save the sets "whole".
Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

everyone has a buyout price and im sure the right amount of cash would get this beauty in the back of your truck whole.
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
everyone has a buyout price and im sure the right amount of cash would get this beauty in the back of your truck whole.
Perhaps, but I don't play that game. I've already offered the guy his full price, plus his choice of vintage TV cabinets to ruin with whatever stupid, inauthentic "googie" ideas he has spinning about his brain. That didn't even get a response, so if he's holding out for me to offer $300 or something, I can only hope it's while holding his breath.

Frankly there is a rash of vintage TV craigslist nonsense going on lately in this area. I also recently responded to an ad worded just like this (no photo):

Quote:
I have an antique Zenith tv with doors. the screen is a weird semi-circle and it has a "space command" remote, LOL! Just come get it out of my garage, $50
That ad is gone now, but I responded to it on the first day, never got a reply. I'm at the point where I think somebody is just screwing around.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Again, this is why I say "Civilians" should NOT be allowed/trusted to have these precious artifacts....(grin)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Carmine, I am pretty well convinced these "experts" have a sadistic side to them, they get off on threatening to fishtank or repurpose a great set into a tiki bar. There are tons of cabinets out there to screw with, and to play you like he did or is doing should earn him a spot in a nut house. Years back, I found a complete '60 GE Danish set with the two giant oval speakers, when I saw it again, someone had taken out all them there outdated tee vee things, who wants an ole television anyhow? Pinheads, all of them. I hope you get the upper hand if he is playing with you.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dude, stop playing games with the world. All you do is make you and everyone who agrees with you look foolish.

Just offer him more money, like how he did when you were trying to buy from the first owner. It worked once right? With enough profit he'll probably just give it to you whole, and there won't be a problem.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:44 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInColor View Post
Dude, stop playing games with the world. All you do is make you and everyone who agrees with you look foolish.

Just offer him more money, like how he did when you were trying to buy from the first owner. It worked once right? With enough profit he'll probably just give it to you whole, and there won't be a problem.
Hello new poster! You're more than welcome to play his game, I even gave you the link to the ad!

He is offering a discount to someone that will remove the parts... I offered his full price AND a CHOICE of already-gutted cabinets (some with doors). He wants to give his out-of-state buyer "several days", but hasn't pulled the ad? Hmmm....

I've already got too many old sets, and too much dignity to bother emailing/begging nutjobs. He can take that set apart and shove the 6BK4 up his googie-poop-chute with my blessing.

Last edited by Carmine; 04-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Games are for the interminably bored and useless Carmine. Your posting the link only makes us all more wary of trusting you with our own stories.

And can you not understand me? I said no to games.

Yes well why would he bother wasting his time with someone who doesn't want to do it his way (in this situation: you)? Someone else wants to do the transaction he's hoping for - why should he bother choosing from cabinets when he has one already? Think about it and try seeing my point, rather than scanning my post and responding to a few key words.

And I think from your posts it's more that you have far too much self-righteousness rather than dignity Carmine. I'm simply saying that if I have a box filled with papers, I'd rather get profit and no junk than another box.

Because money works.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

I thought we already established the fact that no one is entitled to ANY set, regardless of how they think or feel about it. It's the seller's choice what to do with their own property, I don't care if someone throws a firebomb at a CT-100: it's their choice. Get butthurt about it if you want, but don't bring your whining to the forum because all it does is stirr up people's poop.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with you miniman, it's best to keep in mind that no matter what we do the person with the TV is the one we have to answer to. Hopefully though the set will be saved, but there is no use whining about it if it isn't.

Because money works.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Here's a line-by-line response, lest you think I'm ignoring your point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInColor View Post
Games are for the interminably bored and useless Carmine. Your posting the link only makes us all more wary of trusting you with our own stories.
The link is posted so people can read the ad for themselves, if they like. The email response is cut/pasted for the same reason.

Quote:
And can you not understand me? I said no to games.
Games would be "threatening" to cut the set up for the cabinet in the hopes that someone will offer him more to sell it whole. I won't play that game. If he wants $300 for the set (?) then just come out and say so.

Quote:
Yes well why would he bother wasting his time with someone who doesn't want to do it his way (in this situation: you)? Someone else wants to do the transaction he's hoping for - why should he bother choosing from cabinets when he has one already? Think about it and try seeing my point, rather than scanning my post and responding to a few key words.
Well he is is willing to spend "several days" waiting for an out-of-state buyer to make arrangements, and/or remove the chassis and CRT himself, so is it that crazy to consider my offer of several already-gutted cabinets, + his asking price?

Quote:
And I think from your posts it's more that you have far too much self-righteousness rather than dignity Carmine. I'm simply saying that if I have a box filled with papers, I'd rather get profit and no junk than another box.
I can't even respond to the last sentence because it makes no sense to me.

But I will say you must have quite an immunity to irony to question my truthfulness, when this is the FIRST thread you've ever posted in... Does that make you the out-of-state buyer, or the nutjob seller?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
I thought we already established the fact that no one is entitled to ANY set, regardless of how they think or feel about it. It's the seller's choice what to do with their own property, I don't care if someone throws a firebomb at a CT-100: it's their choice. Get butthurt about it if you want, but don't bring your whining to the forum because all it does is stirr up people's poop.
Oh, I'm sorry.. Are we only allowed to discuss topics that you, or your new friend with 3 posts approve of now? I respect your right to post an opinion, but I also don't see anyone dragging your eyes across the page.

Basically, the point of this thread is to let other people know that when/if that fairly rare Zenith gets turned into a fishtank, it won't be because no one offered full price for it... It will be because someone (either lurking here or posting, since the community isn't that big) is going to chop it up for parts.

And that is a shame, but it appears to be inevitable.
Audiokarma