Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

NTSC camera for use with vtg TV?

Got this brainstorm to duplicate what's in my avatar - "see yourself on color TV" using my CTC-5 -- but I don't know if you can even buy a camcorder with NTSC output any more - any ideas?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

How about an older 8mm camcorder? I have an older Sony that still works great,and records better than a VHS. Just my 2 centavos.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Technohippie

Assuming that you aren't looking for a vintage camera (and the restoration that would go along with it), just about any camcorder should have a composite video output on it. You can often pick them up dirt cheap or even free when the tape mechanism breaks down, leaving the camera still working fine.

If you want to buy new, a small color "security camera" type unit is always an option. I just bought a nice Sony unit brand new for <$150 for use with a stereo microscope for SMD work. Takes a C-mount lens if you want to use it as a stand-alone camera.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are relatively inexpensive TV cameras with NTSC composite video outputs around. Might want to check for sale ads for a cheap used one. Might need a 24 volt AC transformer to power it up.
Then just get a modulator to convert the video signal to channel 3 or 4 output, then view on your vintage TV.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
How about an older 8mm camcorder? I have an older Sony that still works great,and records better than a VHS. Just my 2 centavos.
I had one - lent it to someone with the same model that had quit - then mine quit too. Not worth repairing unfortunately - control panel dead. (I did transfer all my tapes to DVDs before that happened). But I'm not eager to get an old one because of the demonstrated poor reliability (bad caps?).

The security cam is a reasonable idea for a dedicated unit, but I was wondering if there are any standard def digital camcorders that also have NTSC out - could do double duty, since I don't have a working camcorder except for my cell phone :>)

And I do have a modulator - use it with the el cheapo DVD player that feeds the set now.

Will look into the security camera thing first, I guess.
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Even my Panasonic AG-HMC40P high end camera still has NTSC output (or PAL if you want).

You should have no problem with that.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dig back further and find an old consumer tube camera. Early RCA CC-xx series for starters. Gives you the old look. Many had a separate power supply with the NTSC out you need. From there in to any modulator for Ch 3 or 4.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is one on eBag now,with the power supply......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Color-Vi...item45ff5ce6fd
Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

A few months ago, I saw at Menard's a tiny surveillance camera on sale for $19.95. Amazing thing: it was tiny and produced a decent picture thru an NTSC interface.

At Gateway Electronics in St Louis, they always seem to have old but recent color surveilance cameras there. I bought a couple for $5.00 each and after supplying a lens I had on hand, the pictures are excellent. I tested the luma and chroma resolution and the camera matched or exceeded our 1999 Panasonic NTSC receiver.

Incidently, at Big Lots last week I saw Ch3/Ch4 RF modulators on sale for $6.00 each. I bought one to test and for once found a good modulator which produces decent level sound with no buzz. It was marked GE and is a heck of a lot better than the RCA or Phillips modulators you see at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Even my Panasonic AG-HMC40P high end camera still has NTSC output (or PAL if you want).

You should have no problem with that.
I just looked at that - thanks, but I'm looking for a low end dual purpose device (under $200), or a cheap dedicated camera for this.

By the way, this is the first time I saw an illustration of the internal optics of the Panasonic. Shades of the TK-41! It uses relay lenses!
Audiokarma
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Dig back further and find an old consumer tube camera. Early RCA CC-xx series for starters. Gives you the old look. Many had a separate power supply with the NTSC out you need. From there in to any modulator for Ch 3 or 4.
Now that's an idea - the vidicon lag and light required would be most realistic - but I'm not sure the color would be representative. The single-stripe tube cameras had pretty awful color rendition due to the non-linearity of the vidicon causing the color channels to intermodulate.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
A few months ago, I saw at Menard's a tiny surveillance camera on sale for $19.95. Amazing thing: it was tiny and produced a decent picture thru an NTSC interface.

At Gateway Electronics in St Louis, they always seem to have old but recent color surveilance cameras there. I bought a couple for $5.00 each and after supplying a lens I had on hand, the pictures are excellent. I tested the luma and chroma resolution and the camera matched or exceeded our 1999 Panasonic NTSC receiver.

Incidently, at Big Lots last week I saw Ch3/Ch4 RF modulators on sale for $6.00 each. I bought one to test and for once found a good modulator which produces decent level sound with no buzz. It was marked GE and is a heck of a lot better than the RCA or Phillips modulators you see at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.
Will check out Menard's and Big Lots.

Put the RCA on watch while I think about it.

Found a under $200 Toshiba that says it comes with a "miniature USB and AV cable" - I take "AV" to mean audio and composite NTSC video, but they don't say it!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I second the garage-sale camcorder solution.
You can even get still cameras with AV output cables... probably for $15 or so.

Chip
Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

...Or bum around on E-Splatt some more...I managed to scroe a Panasonic WV-555 camera a few yrs ago for little or nothing...It LOOKS to be a "Business" camera, not quite "Studio" grade, but several notches above yr typical home "Vidiot" grade, too.