Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Learning as I go

Question JVC HR-D470U Transport Issues

Hi all,

I have an old JVC HR-D470U side loading machine that seems to have some transport issues. The machine will load the tape as normal and the drum will spins up as normal. However, the machine will not advance the reels in the tape, and as such the player shuts off after about three seconds.
Side note: I can hear a squealing while the machine is trying to advance the tape.

I am guessing this is a relativley simple issue somewhere in the player, but having little experience with these machines I thought I would check and sww what you good folks have to say.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
Hi all,

I have an old JVC HR-D470U side loading machine that seems to have some transport issues. The machine will load the tape as normal and the drum will spins up as normal. However, the machine will not advance the reels in the tape, and as such the player shuts off after about three seconds.
Side note: I can hear a squealing while the machine is trying to advance the tape.
Loading belt on the bottom of the deck. Not real easy to replace on that chassis.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM
M is for Memory

I've got one of those JVC long-ways-loaders...IIRC it's in parts deck status...I've got a working Zenith badged version so I've not gotten to it yet.

If my JVC is too much of a junker I may be open to letting it go.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Here's a pic I found of the bottom of the deck. I have highlighted the load belt. Also I highlighted the Grounding screw for that board. That is important too. I used to put a small star washer under the screw to ensure the ground connection would never fail again. Tighten any others while in it. (Last thing I wanted when I did this for a living was re-do!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jvc-loadbelt-gndscrew2.jpg (58.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 01-04-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Learning as I go

Oh geez. You wpuldnt happen to have a service manual for this deck would you? That belt really does look difficult to get to.

I would like to get this deck back up and running, as it had a fantastic picture quality before it was put away. However, it's been sitting on a shelf fpr quite some time I just hope it hasnt developed any more strange issues...
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

///

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Learning as I go

Well, I hooked the deck up to a monitor this evening to see if I could use it as an RF modulator this evening, and was able to get a parts of a picture for a few second with lots of banding. However, it quickly turns to snow...

I'm guessing failed electrolytics somewhere. Its probably fixable, but at this point I'll probably just shelve it for now...
Old 01-07-2017, 09:39 AM
M is for Memory

If you are getting video hum change the big lytics on the secondary side of the power trans on the PS board. My Zenith badged JVC had a lytic fail badly there...Picture was barely noticable behind the hum, audio was lousy with the HiFi cutting out regularly...I changed that cap (IIRC it was 2200-3300 at 16-35V) and it went from crap to a solid performer.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4