Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

IDEA: A community-built TV

I've had an interesting idea rattling around in my head...

a "community built" vintage TV. Let me explain:

1. We pick a vintage set for which rarer parts (e.g. flyback, coils, picture tube) are fairly common.

2. We publish the schematic/list of components and parts needed.

3. People in the community can donate items to the designated builder. This can be a handful of caps, some resistors, or a tube (or two). As each item is donated, it is marked on the list so we all know what is still needed. Parts should be new where possible (caps, resistors), and matching original elsewhere (chassis, coils, xformers) though if someone has skills to hand wind coils/transformers or bend a chassis from sheet metal, that's acceptable too.

4. Depending on cabinet availability, we either
-Retrofit a matching cabinet that's in bad shape
-Build a new cabinet to fit the set.
In either case, we decorate it with the names of everyone who donated parts. Water-slide decals of signatures or printed names would be best, I think.

5. (up for discussion) The resulting "new" vintage TV is then auctioned off, and the proceeds go somewhere (charity, support VK,?)

Whaddya think? Is it something we could get folks interested in?

I realize there may still be some issues that would need to be worked out, but nothing we can't surmount.

Edit: Mods, if you want to post a link to this in the B&W forum, that might draw some more folks who lurk there...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
2 many toys,Not enough $$

I already have my vote for the builder but he is already swarmed with projects. I do like the idea though, I'm in.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

It would be a good feeling to know that I could take some part in bringing a set to life, even if just by donating a dozen tubes or some coils, or whatever. I'm not sure how plausible it is, but could be fun to try.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
It would be a good feeling to know that I could take some part in bringing a set to life, even if just by donating a dozen tubes or some coils, or whatever. I'm not sure how plausible it is, but could be fun to try.
That's exactly what I had in mind - everyone in the community can help give birth to this set.

I suspect the biggest issue would be sourcing/shipping the larger parts, like a CRT or cabinet. Resistors/caps are easy and reasonably cheap to send in an envelope via regular mail, and shipping costs for individual parts like one or two tubes shouldn't be through the roof.

The other upside is that parts that might otherwise be trashed as useless without the rest of the corresponding set can be given a second chance - I don't doubt many collectors have a few set-specific parts they salvaged and can't easily use in another set.

Perhaps a simple tube radio might be better for a trial run than a full-blown TV...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Master!

That could be a real "Frankenset"! Sounds like fun! I'm in too!
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM
M is for Memory

I could possibly contribute some tubes if nothing else.

One issue about building the IF from scratch is the design has to work right, and then some body has to align it.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

this is a cool idea!

I think what it needs, is something to set it apart - all the guys who are likely to bid already have plenty of vintage tvs. I have a couple ideas to make it more interesting (i.e. Stuff i would bid on - you may be different)

All tube chassis, with a trinitron tube
Stereo push pull audio, with tubes
Component video inputs
Or the hardest of all - all tube color predicta style set, made from a ctc 22 or etc

anything else you want but can't get?

Last edited by maxhifi; 08-26-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I could possibly contribute some tubes if nothing else.

One issue about building the IF from scratch is the design has to work right, and then some body has to align it.
This is kinda why I suggest going from an existing schematic and then using original parts... it's at least somewhat easier to do.

Regarding something to set it apart - we could definitely do that, composite inputs would be a good start and not too difficult to add, as well as stereo etc... I don't know if we have anyone here with the skills or time to draw up/modify a schematic that we can use to wire an all-tube chassis to a trinitron picture tube.

Either way, we have the chance to create something unique, judging by the feedback so far, it could become a reality.

I'll try to take charge and organize this once I feel we have enough of a response from the community - so if you want to help out, give a shout in this thread (and mention what you can do, so we can get an overview of the skills available).

(I'd love to help out with the actual build too, but I don't have the tools to align the end result, and I'm also going back to university in September, so free time will be at a minimum).

First step would be to a) select a design, and b) select a builder... so stay tuned. I plan to start a fresh thread for each "stage", and will tag them with [Community-TV] or some such.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess kits would tend to have the IF circuits and such factory built, so the home builder didn't get bogged down trying to get the alignment right. That might be the right way to go here. I like the idea of something odd, like a solid state roundie or a tube chassis powering a BPC, complete with stereo and ultrasonic remote. (but I can understand if it didn't go in that direction) I do think, the more of a Frankenset it is, the better.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is it possible to build a tube chassis to work with a modern in-line CRT? Reason I ask is there's lots of them going to waste that are perfectly good.
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
M is for Memory

The GE portacolor was all tube and the CRT was inline (thought the phosphor on the early version was in the same as delta gun tubes).
I like the idea of putting a tube color set with sonic remote in a predicta 21" cabinet.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The GE portacolor was all tube and the CRT was inline (thought the phosphor on the early version was in the same as delta gun tubes).
I like the idea of putting a tube color set with sonic remote in a predicta 21" cabinet.
hm.... then perhaps we could toss in a trinitron tube if someone has one floating around... being from a scrapped set, the yoke and purity stuff should be attached and ready to use.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE also had a 25" inline tube with the delta style dots; it was around for a short time in the mid-70s. I junked one a few years ago because, well, who would ever need one? I'm not sure if there was a 19" version.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 AM
M is for Memory

Cool! I think I'd have saved it as an example of a wierd step in the evolution of CRT tvs, but ya gota do what ya gota do.

Tom C.

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kit TV IF stage

Years ago a friend of mine built a Heathkit color TV which was an RCA type chassis. The IF was not preassembled. He even bought the alignment gear but never got the IF to align perfectly. Since it was an RCA type module, he turned it in to a module rebuilder for a swap out. The set then worked for many years. The only thing preassembled was the high voltage module. I guess Heath didn't want any sawed off CRT necks. I remember it was the one with the SCR high voltage and an upright chassis.
With no analog TV to speak of, wouldn't a monitor be better. It would need a converter box anyway if it was equipped with a tuner and IF.
Don't forget DC restoration!
Audiokarma