Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice roundie combo in DC

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...282684586.html

they want too much of course, but I assume the offers they may get will quickly reduce that. Not know the status of the CRT and FLY means it would need to be purchased with the assumpion they are bad.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

That thing looks haunted but I would love to have it especially if it is a remote set. I like the look of only a screen up front with controls hidden. I guess that is a French Provincial. I would like to see the other cabinets offered for that system.
I wish we had photos of TV showrooms with all the sets on as they would have been seen originally. I wonder how many of these giant entertainment systems would have been displayed in a typical showroom would have.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the 60's out of say 30-35 Zeniths on the floor, we might have 3 of these. Back then, a lot of people did not have a decent stereo if they had one at all. I remember getting a B&W mono combo as a trade in on one of these. Plus, once you started looking at an upper end cabinet, it was not a whole lot more to just go all the way.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think that's a Magnavox...someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking maggie, but the lift up top seems like a departure from the normal sliding top.
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM
M is for Memory

I saw a blond version and it was an RCA, the tv controls are in the top with the stereo reciever.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea, on the left panel you can just make out the little "his masters voice" sticker used on RCA combos of that era (well the shape of one anyway).

could have the tube amp and the tube tuner with the eye tube for signal strength then.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've checked the RCA catalogues I have from 1963 forward and they don't show this model. Could it maybe be a Hoffman? I had one of the first instant on Hoffman rectangulars in 1967 and it caught fire.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I seriously dont want to believe RCA could make something that ugly. I vote Magnavox, where are the controls for the tv? up near the tuner?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen that cabinet style on here before...I was thinking RCA. It appears to have the nameplate on the upper left corner of the crt, that would normally say "RCA Victor New Vista" or similiar; but some clones used that same bezel and put something else in that rectangle.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seems lke a model like that was on here a while back and Charles said it was the first RCA home entertnmnt cntr that had optional remote control. It is likely a '62 or '63 model.
It would look much prettier in person even with cabinet imperfections. It has pull out doors too. I bet it has a great sound system.
I imagine the women that ran the vacuum cleaner hated those center legs