Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM
andy's Avatar
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,988
Since it's dead, you have nothing to lose by trying to rejuvenate it. I had one B/W CRT that tested completely dead which came back when I rejuvenated it (granted, it took 20 volts on the heater, and it didn't last long). At least you'll know it's got a good vacuum, and might be worth saving for a future rebuild.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Since it's dead, you have nothing to lose by trying to rejuvenate it. I had one B/W CRT that tested completely dead which came back when I rejuvenated it (granted, it took 20 volts on the heater, and it didn't last long). At least you'll know it's got a good vacuum, and might be worth saving for a future rebuild.
Since it has good vacuum, I think that I will save the dud CRT for now. I don't think it would make sense to not use the good one. That is why I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee load of them! Thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
miniman82's Avatar
miniman82 miniman82 is offline
First Light: 1952-2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 4,118
Wait, you have a car full of roundies?
__________________
Evolution...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,684
I think he means CRTs, but I could be wrong.

Tom C.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Wait, you have a car full of roundies?
Not exactly. Only one color CRT that was unmarked. But it is a 21CYP22 RCA. It has a small scratch in the face of it but the emission is great. The other tubes were various B/W tubes and one scope tube that was based the same as a 7JP4 but green and a different current rating on the filament. The other B/W tubes were marginal at best and several have been brought back to atmosphere in preparation for disposal. The price was right, less than $30 for the lot of them. Local pickup of course...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think he means CRTs, but I could be wrong.

Tom C.
I am sure that you are right
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Wait, you have a car full of roundies?
Years ago, I had a couple of friends in Chicago who worked on old/used TV sets and saved parts. One day they drove to my house to pick up some radio tubes from me. They were driving an International Travelall (big wagon, the size of a Chevrolet Suburban) with no back seat, that was filled almost to the roof with CRTs, NOT in boxes or with any padding! I just shuddered to think of what would happen if they hit any really big potholes. I can envision it looking like a Jiffy-Pop popcorn tray...
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Years ago, I had a couple of friends in Chicago who worked on old/used TV sets and saved parts. One day they drove to my house to pick up some radio tubes from me. They were driving an International Travelall (big wagon, the size of a Chevrolet Suburban) with no back seat, that was filled almost to the roof with CRTs, NOT in boxes or with any padding! I just shuddered to think of what would happen if they hit any really big potholes. I can envision it looking like a Jiffy-Pop popcorn tray...
I hear you! LMAO And I know what a Travelall is!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 827
Caps to stuff the electrolytics arrived today from DigiKey. Unfortunately, I have a trip to Florida on Thursday followed by a trip to Australia on Monday so I won't be able to get to it until the first week in May. I am very anxious to proceed but other things are in the way.

More later...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.