Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:34 AM
On Land

As for cartoons, my favorites growing up (and now getting old LOL) were Looney Tunes with Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, RoadRunner, Tweety, etc. I'm not talkin bout the ones they've made in the past few years... I mean the ones they made in the 60's and 70's... those were the best! I remember one of my favorite episodes being 'The Rabit of Seville' where Elmer is in the barber chair and Bugs is making a salad on his head!

I just looked and see there is a DVD out... guess what I'll be out looking for today!

It's a shame that Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past. Today, there are only a few shows on Saturday morning, and none of then nearly as good as the ones from years ago. I remember getting up at the crack of dawn when the local tv channels were just coming on the air, and had cartoons on all three channels till at least noon.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Charlie, would you believe Rabbit Of Seville was made in 1950!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042871/
Old 10-27-2004, 10:37 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H
Charlie, would you believe Rabbit Of Seville was made in 1950!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042871/
Damn! I knew Looney Tunes went way back, but I didn't realize they were in color at that time! Definately true classics!

Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Damn does run fast…

I guess if you've gota B&W roundie (hey, they made them too!), nothing's gonna be better than "The Honeymooners". Especially if it's an old Dumont

Color? The Price is Right always was neat, though I guess that's a rectuangular era show.

Generally, I watch whatever's on TV. Baseball games look nice.

And the great thing about a roundie is it cuts off the stupid imprint logo thing everyone does now.

I find in general, and not surprisingly, old color videotapes from the 60's and 70's look better on an old TV. I don't know why, but most of my older sets have trouble with some of today's newer shows and advertisements, especially ads that have big white areas in them.

Car ads tend to look good, though.

Best is showing someone one of these old sets for the first time. When I lived in CT, my regular TV was a B&W Bendix console. The maintenance people, when they showed up to fix the perpetually broken a/c system, always did a double take when they saw the thing.

"Is that a REAL TV from the 50's?!?!?!?!?"

hehehehehe
Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk
Best is showing someone one of these old sets for the first time. When I lived in CT, my regular TV was a B&W Bendix console. The maintenance people, when they showed up to fix the perpetually broken a/c system, always did a double take when they saw the thing.

"Is that a REAL TV from the 50's?!?!?!?!?"

hehehehehe
very true! I actually had someone tell me they didn't realize tv sets were made back then! Man! What an idiot! I guess they didn't know what I Love Lucy was either!

Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Batteries not included

I've never watched a roundie, but...

...I can imagine these playing on one:

Red Skelton Hour (the ones in color of course)
Any programming on Cartoon Network's Boomerang cable channel. If you don't have it, get it, it's all really old (and good) cartoons. Haven't watched it in a year, so i can't say much about their current stuff.
Nick at nite/ TV Land if you have it.

Last edited by AgentWinchester; 10-27-2004 at 05:26 PM. Reason: woops...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

The simpsons.. been watching them on my roundies since the show went on the air in 87.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:10 PM
On Land

Elton John Dream Ticket

Today, I purchased the new Elton John 4-disc DVD set from Best Buy. Three of the DVD's each show a different concert, and the fourth one shows clips and performances spanning the past 3 decades.

Tonight, I am watching them on the Curtis Mathes, and these DVD's really rock on a roundie. Being that these performances are from concerts, there's lots of stage lighting pouring out tons of intense, alternating color! Hell... I might have to change the 6GH8 after watching this!

The DVD's are in full screen, so you don't have to deal with those damn black bars top and bottom. For those of us that have roundies in entertainment centers, the audio really rocks coming thru the big speakers.

So if you're an Elton John fan, this DVD really rocks... even more so on your roundie!

Here's a scene from Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (which kicked some serious ass, BTW).

Old 11-17-2004, 10:17 PM
On Land

On a side note, I find it interesting that with all the money this man probably has, he hasn't had that big gap between his two front teeth fixed!

Old 11-18-2004, 12:18 AM
On Land

One of the DVD menus... really cool looking

Audiokarma