Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:11 AM

And underneath that thing, a bunch of shredded cardboard...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:15 AM

And underneath that is the box I hauled it down to the shipper in. They cut it to fit and taped it shut around the tube.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:19 AM

The white stuff underneath it is soft foam, about an inch thick. Hopefully to prevent scratching the screen.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:23 AM

AIn't it purdy? I can't wait to put it in.

John
Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 AM
heathkit tv

Yay! I wonder if that foam is anything like that stuff they make those Tempurpedic beds out of.....that might be ideal in this case....very soft, smooth (scratch free) and absorbs an incredible amount of shock without transferring the energy.

I'm going to have a motorcycle seat stuffed with a layer of it, might be good for car seats too. Remember, you heard it here first! LOL

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2005, 10:06 AM
On Land

Blue Lat:

Congrats on receiving your newly rebuilt crt in one piece! Exciting, isn't it?! I can understand your enthusiasm about getting it installed asap. Of course, we'll be just as excited about seeing pics once you get it installed.

I was very pleased with the jugs I had rebuilt in Dallas. I only wish the VDC facility in Dallas was still open. Those people were really nice to deal with and ya couldn't beat the price... $170.00. It's a shame they closed their doors.

How much did you have to spend total for your tube (shipping, rebuilding, etc)?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_lateral
And underneath that thing, a bunch of shredded cardboard...
(Hmm... That shredded cardboard reminds me of something... Hmm...)

Ah, here we go. Looks like Hawkeye Picture Tube shops locally for
their packing material!

http://www.corrugatedsolutions.biz/

I guess if it can be used to pack eggs, it can be used to pack picture tubes..!

Anyway, cool that you got the CRT back safe and sound-- you'll have to let us know how it works once you've tried 'er out!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Blue Lat:

Congrats on receiving your newly rebuilt crt in one piece! Exciting, isn't it?! I can understand your enthusiasm about getting it installed asap. Of course, we'll be just as excited about seeing pics once you get it installed.

I was very pleased with the jugs I had rebuilt in Dallas. I only wish the VDC facility in Dallas was still open. Those people were really nice to deal with and ya couldn't beat the price... $170.00. It's a shame they closed their doors.

How much did you have to spend total for your tube (shipping, rebuilding, etc)?
Yeah, I can hardly wait to get it installed. It might be a little while before we see a raster on this, though. I had this plan that I was going to go through the chassis while the CRT was away, fix anything that was obviously broken, and align it. This was a working set, with a good picture (until very recently when the crt went downhill quite rapidly), there were just a few little things I knew weren't quite right. I didn't find much wrong with the chassis, but I found a whole bunch of tubes that were either gassy, h-k leaky, shorted, microphonic, or some combination. That surprised me. I replaced 3/4 of them last time around. Yeah, it was probably 25 years ago, but I don't watch much tv. Also most of the ones I replaced back then werent original, either. Sheesh. I've seen roundies with most of their original tubes.

Anyway I got sidetracked and haven't even ordered resistors, caps and tubes. I have my list, hopefully I can find time to do it tomorrow.

Total on the rebuild including packing, shipping etc. came to $550.53.

As for VDC, that was a great deal, especially since you and others on this list had such positive results. But a year ago I didn't have the money (or the time to take the set apart , or a place to do it).

Quote:
I wonder if that foam is anything like that stuff they make those Tempurpedic beds out of.....that might be ideal in this case....very soft, smooth (scratch free) and absorbs an incredible amount of shock without transferring the energy.
Naw, It was just ordinary foam I got at the hardware store. I actually tried to buy that stuff you're talking about once (for a Maserati headliner of all things). It's really expensive, and they make you buy a whole bunch of it.

Quote:
(Hmm... That shredded cardboard reminds me of something... Hmm...)

Ah, here we go. Looks like Hawkeye Picture Tube shops locally for
their packing material!

http://www.corrugatedsolutions.biz/

I guess if it can be used to pack eggs, it can be used to pack picture tubes..!
I guess it works! but I suspect It didn't come from Hawkeye, I never saw inside the inner box on the way out, though. I found someone who was willling to pack it locally, and I printed out all the box illustrations and links further up in this thread, and took them down there. I hoped the packing would be something Scotty would approve of for the return trip. He did.

On the same day I picked up the CRT, my new toy arrived on Greyhound - a Tektronix 535. It was like Chritsmas around here...

John
Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The Hawk-Eye website writes, "If it is necessary to send your tube in for rebuild, Hawk-Eye provides shipping containers that help to ensure safe arrival." http://www.hawkeyepicturetube.com/antiquetvtubes.html

How did the rebuilt tube turn out?
Yeah, Scotty apparently has boxes for lots of kinds of tubes, but not the 21" round color ones.

I got the rebuilt tube bolted in the cabinet last weekend, but the chassis still needs a little work. The second box of small tubes got here last friday. Since I am planning on aligning it, I'm replacing all the small tubes that tested bad. The box of capacitors and resistors hasn't arrived yet.

John
Old 07-30-2005, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are some companys here in miami that will pack almost anything using sheets of gray plastic. first they spray the bottom fo the box with hot foam in place liquid from a double nozzle gun then while the foam is expanding the lay the first sheet of plastic on top of it then the crt, so some of the foam rises above the face of the tube they then cover any exposed crt with plastic and the foam in the rest half way up the neck. That way there are no air gaps and the tube becomes packed in a giant shock absorber. Removal of the foam can be easy if none of the foam contacts the tube, then you are on an dig to get it out. If done right the the top foam lifts straight up and you can use the bottom one as an anti scratch pad for the face of the tube.
Richard.
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2005, 10:51 AM
heathkit tv

There's another technique in which special plastic bags are placed in the shipping box and around the item....then a mix of 2 part foam and catalyst are injected......this mix turns into quickly expanding foam which shapes itself, eventually hardening.

The neat thing is that the foam never touches whatever you're shipping as it remains inside the bags.....and it is custom shaped for complete support and protection.