Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

It looks somewhat similar to the Sentinel set. These sets are RCA based, not on the CTC chassis design but rather on the RCA reference design documented in LB-962, "A Simplified High-Performance 21-Inch Developmental Color Television Receiver" September 16, 1954. On the Sentinel the convergence panel is on the front of the set and appears it must be behind a front panel on this set as well.

Darryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0494.jpg (70.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (27.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.jpg (75.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0087.jpg (79.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

wow, congrats on the great find! btw, what are the 6 red squares located above the screen? Is that decorative or are they indicator lights of some sort?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found the service controls! Indeed they were behind the panel on the right side. I tried prying the panel carefully with no luck. There were already some small pry marks, so I knew I was on the right track. My wife got into the act when I told her about the secret panel. She recalled the estate sale people claiming that they found about 150k in cash hidden in couple of pieces they cleaned out at this sale. She spotted the small wooden screws securing the bracket that holds the panel at the top. Alas no cash. But also no labeling! This isn't anything on the chassis or the back of the panel. It appears that service literature is going to be a must to get very far with this one.
BTW, the red squares are vents. You can get a better view from the servicecontrols pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg servicecontrols.JPG (192.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg panel&bracket.JPG (152.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I need to do some digging-I have a factory service manual for a 50's Admiral color set; I can't recall the model off hand. It's late, but maybe I can dig it out before I turn-in for the night.

UPDATE: The manual is for chassis 28Y1; it is transformer powered, but otherwise similiar (at least at first glance.) Dated 11-55. Probably not close enough for this one...I'll double check but I don't think I have any others this early.

This is an amazing find! Anything fifties and color is tremendous; anything fifties and color and not RCA...wow!

Last edited by bgadow; 05-05-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

At least with having all the service controls on the front, it will make it easier to set up once you find out which ones are what. That will be alot better than trying to set it up using a mirror. I like this set alot. I think alot of it has to do with being so different in styling than we usually see. With it appearing to be a production set and not experimental...someone is bound to have the service literature for it.
-Tony
Audiokarma
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The manual is for chassis 28Y1; it is transformer powered, but otherwise similiar (at least at first glance.) Dated 11-55. Probably not close enough for this one...I'll double check but I don't think I have any others this early.
Bryan, this one is transformer powered. It is sitting in the bottom of the cabinet next to the other (audio?) chassis that is also seperate.
-Tony
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Okay, I should have checked a little closer. The one I have shows the transformer mounted on the chassis. Might not be very different besides that?

A series-string color set at that time would be strange...except that I know the rectangular Westinghouse was, according to the schematic I found.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Kurt

I have an Admiral color tv service manual supplement dated April 1957. This for models using the 29Z1 and 29SZ1 chassis. These sets had two large controls (channel selector and on-off volume) on the top right and left above the screen and look completely different from yours: ETF - Admiral Ambassador
http://www.earlytelevision.org/admiral_ambassador.html. It shows 2 5U4 rectifiers in the tube chart. However the chassis shown is horizontal and yours looks to be vertical. The set up controls are in front under the screen and appear to be similar to yours. There was an Admiral prototype chassis # 28Y1 produced in mid 1956 prior to the regular production 1957 models. Some of these prototypes were sold to the public. Yours may be one of these.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 05-06-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Kurt:

I did some rifling through my Sams tonight. I found an Admiral B/W set in a mid 1957 folder that has the identical control, vent and logo layout. Folder 394-1. No color sets with that layout though. I could be missing a folder or two however. You mention in the initial post that there was Admiral all over the house. That could mean that the person, or a relative, worked for Admiral and got hold of one of the prototypes that Steve mentioned. Very interesting.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is an antique mall nearby that has a B/W Admiral that is just about identical,
even has the vent holes along the top and the cabinet is the same except in blonde.
Audiokarma
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt E View Post
This is my first color roundie, and fills a real hole in my collection.
There's a decent chance that yours is the only collection that has this hole plugged!

I'd be curious to learn what that RCA connector is/was used for. I suspect either audio or composite video in.

Pete
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
There was an Admiral prototype chassis # 28Y1 produced in mid 1956 prior to the regular production 1957 models. Some of these prototypes were sold to the public. Yours may be one of these.

-Steve D.
The excitement builds!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wallet and I can be in Illinois in 31 hours!

Charles
Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder why convergence controls on the front of sets didn't catch on. It would seem better than sitting in the back of the set with a mirror. I used to have this small mirror taped to the end of a broom handle for that, recently I picked up a larger mirror I can sit on the floor infront of the set, but I'd much rather just have the controls infront.

That is a cool set, it looks like a high quality unit. It is true that I do just tend to think of color roundies as being RCAs and Zeniths. I had a Magnavox once, but it had a shorted flyback and an open filament in the green gun, so I parted it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Mark

Not to change the subject but I have wondered the same thing about the convergence controls. I have a 1968 Zenith that the speaker grille comes off and has them behind it. It is very convenient and you would never know the grille pops off just by looking. The excitement is building on the Admiral, I really want to know if its a prototype or not. Either way Kurt, you definitely filled a hole in your collection that most can only dream of. Luck is everything in this hobby, be at the right place at the right time. You have some darn good "Karma"!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

re: convergence controls...

On my 1974 K9 Philips set the whole tuner/control panel is hinged and comes forward revealing the complete convergence/purity controls.

Sure makes it easier to manage than having them tucked away at the back!
Audiokarma