Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA's CT-100's

Hey Guys,

RCA actually has three CT-100's in their possession. I believe two were aquired over the past several years for display and promotional purposes. One was actually used, you may recall,in a commercial a couple of years ago.The third and last set was recently aquired from UCLA TV archives and used as a parts set to help restore the other two. Scott Marshall a noted radio-TV historian and technician who recently restored a CT-100 for the Sarnoff library was enlisted by RCA to restore their two sets for the QVC/RCA salute to the 50th anniversary of color TV. As a sad sidelight to the story, and with bad timing, Thomson/RCA closed its last tv manufacturing plant in Indiana just last week. This was in Marion, Ind.

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-25-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

CT-100 on a CT-100

My flash went off..but you get the idea!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
On Land

I missed the very first part of the program, so looks like I missed the best part. Taping it now in case they bring the cT100 back.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

A flat screen on the first flat screen

The CT-100 demonstrates the HDTV on QVC
Old 03-26-2004, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

It was nice to see a CT-100 in operation if only for a few seconds. I wish QVC would have shown more. My comment on the "special" tho is not good. What a load of bull-shit. They went on and on about the history of RCA like it was the SAME company. We ALL know RCA "died" when Thomson took over. What a great marketing scheme to go on and on about the history to get people who don't know any better to buy a crappy product. My thoughts on RCA have not been good since the CTC-175 chassis. And to make matters worse, the problems persisted thru the CTC-185 chassis! What did it take them, like over 6 years to figure out they had a problem? Who knows what problems will crop up on the new sets........ So, what do you guys think? Same opinion or am I nuts!?! LOL......
Old 03-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, and are those LCD/plasma thingies "REAL" televisions ? I think not. Even as expensive as they are there's just something awful "Attention K-mart Shoppers" feeling about them. I don't think anyone will get all warm 'n' fuzzy over one of THEM 50 years from now-if they last that long. The CT-100 they had playing almost brought a tear to my jaundiced eye, to think about what all we had- & what we've lost. -Sandy G.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

You had to be quick to get a picture of anything old (or even see it!) on that show but I did try. The first time I had run both the 5 & 11 side by side so that was fun, anyhow.

I did find the description interesting of that new big screen that uses a color wheel of some sort. Everything old is new again! (noticed they said it would last 50 years-ha!!!)
Old 03-26-2004, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

One more picture, just because it turned out well.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy less than 2 minutes out of 1 hour

I know that they are in the business of selling stuff but why would they go to the trouble of broadcasting from RCA headquarters when there was so little content about the early RCA color tv history. If they did not want to move the CT-100s they could have just used a satellite remote. I smell pure hype. And the RCA spokeswoman, sorry spokesperson did not know about what she reading/ saying in any of her technical explanations, thin film transmitters, layer of liquid crystals that just work, like magic. Maybe I am being too critical but I expected more old, less plasma.
Richard
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Me too Richard..... Plus I had a mean thought when that spokeswoman came on. I wondered if she knew her ass looked that big on camera? I know that is SOOOOOO mean, but since she didn't know what she was talking about I didn't feel as bad later.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

CT-100 on QVC

Since I started this thread I feel a comment coming on. It's no secret that both RCA and QVC are in the business of selling products. I also think that Thomson did fiddle with the truth a bit in trying to portray RCA as still being an old line American company and trading on it's history. But Thomson owns that history now and I guess if it can sell a few more tv's to an unsuspecting public, more power to them. On the plus side, anytime a 50 year old historic color tv can be seen and talked about on live national tv, for any reason, is ok by me.
Steve

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-26-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

nope Andy.... they "forgot" to mention that. You woulda thought RCA was ALL American and the same company it was when it started, and they had techs next door building away. It is nice that someone in the company does care about keeping some old sets around tho. That's cool. I wonder what happened to the stuff Zenith had around when they folded ?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:21 AM
heathkit tv

I have neither cable or satellite, did someone record this? Do any of youse have a pic of the host? I wanna see that big ol booty! LOL!

As for RCA problems I can relate this one, around 1983 a GF of mine bought a new 17"(?) that used to squeal like a stuck pig due to a loose flyback. We got this at the local Macy's and they exchanged it for another set instead of fixing it........the new set ended up doing the same thing but far less so. I could get it to shut up by gently tapping on the side of the set.

Was this an ongoing problem? Although I do have hearing loss in certain freq ranges I do tend to be able to hear ultra high freqs (I can actually hear ultrasonic alarm signals sometimes!)

Anthony
Audiokarma