Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I was actually planning on applying for an Amazon at home work position after I get my general class license this weekend.

Then I wouldn't have to put miles on my aging Chevy which is starting to rust through in every corner now.
That could work. What would you be doing?

I just renewed my driver's license which felt like work because of the trip to the DMV, the wait and the trip back. Poorly-designed infrastructure, more often than not it causes significant delays. As Brent LeRoy once said "It was harder than it should have been but not harder than I expected".
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I worked overtime and missed my favorite show! I need to meet the deadline.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I had worked total 7 years doing tech related jobs, support, PC repair, even refurbishing PCB's off of HP printers.. Anything electronics is my thing, or even PC repair and stuff.

What I'm finding is no one calls back, or at worse, you get signed up for junk mail just by trying to apply.. And now that I've been unemployed for a year, they look at the gap.
It's a lousy situation to be in, that's for sure. I would suggest getting a copy of "What Color is Your Parachute" and giving it a serious read. There's a reason why people call it the definitive book on finding a job!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Peanut Head

I work from home...(semi-retired...or retarded). I worked on an early 50's Fender Super that I had rebuilt several years earlier.
It needed new output tubes and a 1N4007 diode that had replaced a selenium stink bomb.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0192.jpg (145.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0190.jpg (128.3 KB, 67 views)

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Looking For Time

Another job site I visited today... This installation was done in 2014 with a Sony 85". This one is cool for way different reasons than the 1st. The cabinet was custom made for this TV (I'm sure the cabinet was twice as expensive as the TV). This thing really reminds me of an old school TV with the beautiful wooden cabinet.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Photobucket image...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54455445.jpg (58.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Another job site I visited today... This installation was done in 2014 with a Sony 85". This one is cool for way different reasons than the 1st. The cabinet was custom made for this TV (I'm sure the cabinet was twice as expensive as the TV). This thing really reminds me of an old school TV with the beautiful wooden cabinet.

I'm guessing you missed the memo: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269246

If I can eventually find the time, and if my home computer works correctly after last night's annoyance*, I plan to migrate all my bucket-photos to my flicker account and go through my old posts and replace the images with stuff from flicker. The bucket is dead to me....They were money grubbers that I was not going to pay before, but now that they've killed external hosting they can go outa business for all I care.

*After slowing to a crawl yesterday, and then making me wait over 1.5 hours while it installed updates during a restart I finally gave up on my laptop and went to bed....I wanted to email some schematic docs to help a new member, but my rig was giving me too many problems to fire off an email. Darn thing kept me up late, since I normally look at stuff on the web to get to sleep, and I did not want it doing stuff unsupervised. Either windows 10 installed a service pack, the longest freaking update in history, or I've got a virus on my home rig.....I Think I'll run my anti-virus software once I get home.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'm guessing you missed the memo: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269246

I... Either windows 10 installed a service pack, the longest freaking update in history, or I've got a virus on my home rig.....I Think I'll run my anti-virus software once I get home.
Probably the creators update - they got me on Tuesday, and reset a lot of preferences, much to my surprise. Had to turn off Cortana, make something else the default browser (Edge? YUK.) and tell it where my network drives were, and then wait until it started to index them - so I could defeat the indexing. Yes, 30 years after Windows rescued some of us, we need rescuing from Windows...

DOS 3.3, DOS 5.0, Win 3.1, Win 3.11, Win95, Win98, WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win10...make them stop, please!!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

And......

What about Win8 and Win8.1 ?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

There are lots more versions than than those, i.e the first version of 95 which couldn't use the FAT32 file system and had a myriad of other problems, 95A which wasn't much different, then 95 OSR2, 2.1 and 2.5 which were only available to OEMs. The first release of 98 wasn't much more than 95 OSR2.5 made available in a retail package; USB support was still pretty dodgy. This was corrected for 98SE. I guess versions older than 3.1 were not very widely used. I used to have Windows 3.0 on 5.25" floppies, installed it just for kicks but never really used it. I just remembered there were several versions of NT as well, XP basically being one of them released a few years too late. Considering what just happened to 10, I'm glad I'm still on 7 Pro.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-16-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA3WLJ View Post
What about Win8 and Win8.1 ?
A friend was a beta tester/got a production copy for free, and hated it.

I had to jump to Windows 10 from Vista, as IE9 became the most hated browser out there, with an increasing number of sites that either blocked it, or pop-upped you into oblivion. It's the reason I'll NEVER order again from All Electronics. Their website always popped up a dialog box one EVERY page with "update your browser for best viewing" when using IE9, yet the underlying code of their site never changed. Just attitude. When I complained, they told me where to go, so I did. Pure asinine, "we-know-better-than-you" umpti-ness. I proved them wrong with an order, and cancelled the order with a "see, folks with IE9 get along just fine with your website, so why the attitude?" Note to world: HTML5, XML, XHTML and TLS all work with IE9 - quit listening to W3, Kaspersky and Google.

When Google, Reuters and CNET all started with the same BS, I jumped to Win10 from Win Vista - by way of a new Acer computer with Intel i5 processor, 1TB hard drive, 8GB memory, 9 USB ports and full Office 2013 Standard - 'twas being dumped by Walmart for 200 dollars because it shipped with Win7, which I promptly upgraded to Win10...so I missed the 8/8.1 fiasco altogether. With ClassicShell, she acts like a WINXP speed demon, and gives me a browser others can live with. I just wish some Office functionality still worked - it does let me use Office 2007 alongside, no problems.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
There are lots more versions than than those, i.e the first version of 95 which couldn't use the FAT32 file system, 95A which had the same problem, then 95 OSR2, 2.1 and 2.5 which were only available to OEMs. The first release of 98 wasn't much more than 95 OSR2.5 made available in a retail package; USB support was still pretty dodgy. This was corrected for 98SE. I guess versions older than 3.1 were not very widely used. I used to have Windows 3.0 on 5.25" floppies, installed it just for kicks but never really used it. I just remembered there were several versions of NT as well, XP basically being one of them released a few years too late. Considering what just happened to 10, I'm glad I'm still on 7 Pro.
You both missed WIN Me - Millenium Edition, 98 with "media center" and messenger enabled all the freaking time. Shipped with minimum memory, they bogged down with anything beyond Adobe Acrobat reader installed. Even at 512MB, the OS bogged down. Blue screens were common as well - I never had it, but a dear friend (who's husband WON the computer and WinME) had it, and I was their guru. Wipe the IE and AOL cache for them and it worked okay for a while....

Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
You both missed WIN Me - Millenium Edition, 98 with "media center" and messenger enabled all the freaking time. Shipped with minimum memory, they bogged down with anything beyond Adobe Acrobat reader installed. Even at 512MB, the OS bogged down. Blue screens were common as well - I never had it, but a dear friend (who's husband WON the computer and WinME) had it, and I was their guru. Wipe the IE and AOL cache for them and it worked okay for a while....
Crap, I had it in there but went through so many edits I omitted it altogether. I never used that one fortunately. System restore was so troublesome it would fill the hard drive with useless files and crash the system. There is a way to remove the restore files/folders and create a fake one so ME wouldn't re-create it, I'll have to see if I can find it again.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Funny, the thread hijack, but I did do some electronic work today - built a grid cap lead for my TV-7 tester, and tried to convert an Excel spreadsheet to an HTML table, but with distractions, I blew it.

I've got parts that I'm slowly trying to get inventoried. I don't like using Excel, but don't want to scrap the 1300 item listing, so I figured I'd put it on a website where I can access it from work and home, always knowing what I've got should the need arise 24/7. I tried all the tutorials on the web I could find, but can't get it to work with that many cells and rows. I can convert to PDF and then to an HTML table, but it doesn't like more than a few dozen characters per cell. I tried the CSV method, and even an Access table to HTML with less than desirable results. I probably should just get to typing in Frontpage or Bluefish and be done. I can always add more columns....

There is nothing more frustrating that to find I had a part that someone needed, but I was beaten to the task by someone else, simply because I had no way of checking while I was at work...

Maybe get a portable copy of LibreOffice and run it from a USB drive..and keep the XLS file.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

hmm, define "at work"...
I'm kinda...self employed at the moment. Today I mowed 3 lawns... Does that count? Also laid some gravel for someone. Yesterday, I was working on tractors and pushmower's.

Been doing some construction work for a small company, but I plan on quitting that job. I don't need it, or the bull-s**t that seems to be coming from/with it.
Audiokarma