Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:47 PM
charminator777

REALISTIC DX 300 SHORTWAVE need advice/manual

Hi -I have a realistic DX 300 shortwave-it works except for the pre selector tuner knob no longer moves the graph thing--i was told by some lay person and i think she may have had something similiar and is also a mechanic that the problem is a broken little belt in there --otherwise aside from perhaps needing a clean up on the pots the thing works well -is anyone here familiar with that model and also i have been try to find a service manual for it with no luck so far
--need your help gang
thanx
charmaine

Last edited by charminator777; 03-20-2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Tube Marantzed

Those are neat radios. I found one a while ago at a thrift for around $25. Sold it unfortunately. Quality stuff. Excellent radio. Good luck fixing yours!

Old 03-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'll state the obvious here-have you tried going back thru RatShak itself? If you can find a store manager who acts like he has a little bit on the ball, he might be able to help you. Another thing is try Googling the brand name/model #. You never know what you might come up with. But remember, there are all sorts of nice Tube receivers out there looking for a home, any number of which offer better performance than the little RatShak guy you've got.-Sandy G.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 AM
charminator777

well i was just a the local rad shak and of course -like alot of places no adays THE HELP HAS NO BRAINS =--i dont know when all this happened-i remember when RS opened you could walk into any one em and the guys in em KNEW ELECTRONICx these people nowdays do not even know the difference between stereo and mon0 plugs etc-so hell with em
ah-these really are nice units-realisitic actually made a few good things once in a while -and i saw some on ebay CHEAP --like 20 bucks-same thing-AH but no manual and i didnt even bother talkin with the HELP at the two local radio shaks0i doubt if they even know what a shortwave is --i had to explain to them about REEL TO REEL -UNREAL
i must have slept a few years too long because suddenly i woke up and a great percentage of the planet just got stupid all at once
thanx for the input
more is welcome if any one else has some comments
humor is appreciated also -now i know why people go POSTAL
-that is why when i shop i leave my pistol at home
c
Old 03-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Audiophool

Maybe something useful here: http://support.radioshack.com/produc...dios&ID=003005

or here:
http://support.radioshack.com/produc...s&ID=004003002

You've got questions? We've got morons! (R)
Audiokarma
Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I downloaded complete owner's manuals for a couple 80s Realistic scanners from the radioschlock site. Guess that means somebody at RS still cares.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

Radio Shack DX-300

The president of the local ham radio club has a Radio Shack shortwave receiver in his ham station--might be the DX-300 but I'm not sure. His has a keypad for random-access frequency entry and digital readout. He says the set's been working very well since he's had it (I don't know how long, though).

As to Radio Shack's store personnel, I will say that some of them do know electronics. There is an RS store about five miles from me; their employees seem to know what they are looking at (and what their customers are talking about) when it comes to components, cables, etc. I've been a customer of theirs since the '70s, and have never had any trouble with them understanding my inquiries as to parts, equipment and so on. Granted, some RS employees may not know much about electronics or computers, etc. but the ones I've dealt with are quite knowledgeable. Perhaps the store clerks who don't seem to know their way around electronics are new to RS, having come to work there from some other business unrelated to electronics or IT (information technology). I would think, however, that a large national corporation such as Radio Shack would be more careful in screening its applicants for jobs within the company, hiring only people who know the difference, say, between an RJ-11 telephone jack and a USB connector. This whole thing reminds me of a cartoon I saw in an electronics magazine about 15 or so years ago, in which two employees of a TV service shop were looking at an older TV set that had come in for repair. The technicians were used to seeing solid-state TVs, not old ones like this with tubes, so when one of them took the back off the set and saw all these glowing glass tubes inside, he looked at the other and asked him what they were. The other tech said they were vacuum tubes. The first then gave the second one a puzzled glance and shot back, "What the hell is a vacuum tube?"

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:30 PM
charminator777

oh i see i have some response heoh boy--i m in the mid of other projects but i will get back at ya all on this here business asap
heythanx
c
Old 04-10-2005, 06:10 PM
charminator777

dx 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I'll state the obvious here-have you tried going back thru RatShak itself? If you can find a store manager who acts like he has a little bit on the ball, he might be able to help you. Another thing is try Googling the brand name/model #. You never know what you might come up with. But remember, there are all sorts of nice Tube receivers out there looking for a home, any number of which offer better performance than the little RatShak guy you've got.-Sandy G.
sandy its a table top shortwave and its a really nice one too -and i think all i need is a little rubber belt on the preselector knob
ah-oh yea been to 2 radio shaks in this area-they KNOW NOTHING -went to the site and did a search-no luck -but i was goin thru some papers and i found another item i was lookin for by the part number --interesting cause i described it to the bozos in the store-duh-radio shak antenna kit -you know -for outdoor shortwave reception -they didnt have a clue and couldnt find it in there book or the net but when i went on line and typed in the part number it came up -so i have hope --i am really persistent and when i keep searching i can usually turn things up -
ok -so --SO THERE
C
Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Wheezer

I wouldn't place too much blame on Radio Shack personnel--this little rig was made about a quarter of a century ago, and I'm not sure by whom. Just to be clear, though, we're talking about the top-left knob? (I'm kind of curious whether it really affects reception--you're using a random wire?)
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Wheezer

Update: If you're using a Windows box, you may be able to fetch a DX-302 service manual from the "realisticdxfiles" Yahoo group (it's a two-part zip file that I've had no luck with under FreeBSD/OS X). Mechanically, it appears to be very similar to the DX-300.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:57 AM
AK Member

Charmaine,
I have a DX-300 that had the same problem with the preselctor not moving. The problem is in the brass bushing that is on the gear that moves the preselector slide indicator. This gear assembly meshes with the gear on the tuning capacitor. The preselector assembly has to be removed from the DX-300 to repair the problem. Once you get the preselector assembly removed, you need to then remove the gear assembly that moves the tuning selector indicator which is the nylon ribbon that rolls up and down when the preselector is tuned. This gear assembly is held on to the preselector chassis by one screw. Remove this screw and then remove the gear assembly. Soak the gear assembly in alcohol. I had to soak the gear assembly for 24 hours. There are brass fillings and old oil that clogs up the brass sleeved bushing in the gear assembly. Sorry, I do not have a maintenance manual.

Bryan
Old 05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
RadioHead

If it's a belt, generically speaking, try a rubber band, or o-ring. Replacement belts are also available from tv repair suppliers that sell to techs or else try online. For dial cord, fly-fishing line works well.

-Ed
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminator777
Hi -I have a realistic DX 300 shortwave-it works except for the pre selector tuner knob no longer moves the graph thing--i was told by some lay person and i think she may have had something similiar and is also a mechanic that the problem is a broken little belt in there --otherwise aside from perhaps needing a clean up on the pots the thing works well -is anyone here familiar with that model and also i have been try to find a service manual for it with no luck so far
--need your help gang
thanx
charmaine
Have you tried: <http://diagram2.tripod.com/id23.html>? It contains a 6 meg download of the service manual. http://audiokarma.org/forums/newrepl...eply&p=305230#
Smilie
Old 05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminator777
--need your help gang
thanx
charmaine
its a mechanical problem so just open up the radio and watch it work while you turn the knob, it could be a gear, a dial string, a belt or a pulley. probably a simple fix.
Audiokarma