Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have the Tooob era equivalents of these Bad Boiz-a couple of pre-war Arvin sets-One has 2 tubes, & the other one has 3. They were salesmen's or travelers' sets, designed to be thrown in a suitcase, & they do a reasonable job of picking up the local Angel Modulation station in whatever town you found yrself in. They were both under $12, I think, new, so even back then if they got "borrowed" or lost it wasn't a big deal. The mighty 2-tube special, I think, ALMOST picked up WLAC, 1510 in Nashville one night...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

FM is transmitted horizontally polarized like TV, so your antenna should be 'flat'. Generally with low power FM stations they use yagis so they can direct the signal exactly where they want it to go.

With am the big stations use 2 or 3 vertical antennas and can direct exactly where they want the main radiated lobe to go by phasing the antennas. Sense it skips all over the place, polarization doesnt matter. The general rule is bigger is better. All the ferrite rod does is makes the coil appear much larger than it really is.

Im not saying that that the front end and IF doesnt affect it, but antenna is the majority.

I have noticed some degradation with KNX, our local CA powerhouse that any radio, even you teeth could pick up at night through CA, NV, AZ on and on. I figured they just cut their power back trying to save money because of the economy.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
a- v- karma member

Last edited by electroking; 05-26-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: deleted by author, sorry!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
FM is transmitted horizontally polarized like TV, so your antenna should be 'flat'. Generally with low power FM stations they use yagis so they can direct the signal exactly where they want it to go.
I have noticed some degradation with KNX, our local CA powerhouse that any radio, even you teeth could pick up at night through CA, NV, AZ on and on. I figured they just cut their power back trying to save money because of the economy.
Many full power FM stations now use circular polarization, in an attempt to provide a better signal to automobile radios and table radios that use "line cord" antennas, so orientation of the line cord or headphone cord in this case, may not be as critical as it once was.

According to the FCC website, KNX still transmits at 50KW.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=9616

Perhaps their ground system has degraded over the years?

jr
Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
Well their quality degraded severely by 1990 when I bought two of them. I think Mother still has one of them in case of power loss. It's good enough to pick up strong local stations but they are el cheapo extreme. Also the tuning caps on mine were very stiff and hard to fine tune.

Next time (if there is a next time) I see an "old" (70's) Flavoradio I'll pick it up and give it a shot.
I had an RS "Flavoradio" (in a sky-blue cabinet) for years as well, but unfortunately it got lost when I moved here 10.5 years ago. Don't know what happened to it. Probably got pitched with a bunch of other stuff being thrown out of the house (I wasn't there when the house I grew up in was being cleaned out in preparation for sale; long story and OT for this thread).

I don't know how often the Atlanta area or the New Orleans area (wherever your mother lives today) has power outages, but she will be ready for the next one, if and when...maybe. I say "maybe" because I wonder just how much emergency info she will hear over the radio. Wasn't there a discussion here just before the DTV transition addressing the fact that radio is utterly useless these days in emergencies, because radio stations no longer broadcast local emergency information--despite the fact that they must have EAS (Emergency Alert System) monitoring gear? I would think your mother's Flavoradio would be worse than useless in any emergency worse than a power outage these days for that reason.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-26-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have the Tooob era equivalents of these Bad Boiz-a couple of pre-war Arvin sets-One has 2 tubes, & the other one has 3. They were salesmen's or travelers' sets, designed to be thrown in a suitcase, & they do a reasonable job of picking up the local Angel Modulation station in whatever town you found yrself in. They were both under $12, I think, new, so even back then if they got "borrowed" or lost it wasn't a big deal. The mighty 2-tube special, I think, ALMOST picked up WLAC, 1510 in Nashville one night...
I had an Arvin model 540T 5-tube BC-only radio from at least the 1950s in a green metal cabinet (a shock hazard waiting to happen ) I got from my aunt and uncle in the late '60s-early seventies when they were cleaning up their house. It had an external wire antenna and worked reasonably well in my area (at the time), east suburban Cleveland; however, I wouldn't have trusted whatever insulation there was between the chassis and the cabinet, as the grommets (if there were any) had probably disintegrated and were worse than useless as insulation material by the time I got the radio.

Where I live today, 33 miles from downtown Cleveland and ten-fifteen miles further from the city's radio stations, however, I don't know how well that Arvin set would have worked; for all I know it might have been a decent performer here, at least on the local station five miles from my apartment. It would definitely fail miserably trying to pick up a 0.5-kW day/0.042kW (42 watts, directional night pattern) station near where I grew up; that is, the radio might get the station during the day, but just barely. After sundown, forget it; the station's gnat-sighing-through-a-window-screen-at-ten-paces 42-watt night signal, along with the sharply directional nighttime antenna pattern, very neatly exclude my area, and everywhere else east of me, from their coverage--all night long, until the following morning (the station has a PSA, pre-sunrise authorization, to operate at reduced power if sunrise occurs before 6 a.m. local time, but I still wouldn't hear it here until well after dawn--and if I did hear it before then, it would be so weak as to be unlistenable).

These radios, as you mentioned, were built only for local AM reception; your 2- and 3-tube sets more so than mine was (I don't have mine anymore), but not by much.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Many full power FM stations now use circular polarization, in an attempt to provide a better signal to automobile radios and table radios that use "line cord" antennas, so orientation of the line cord or headphone cord in this case, may not be as critical as it once was.

According to the FCC website, KNX still transmits at 50KW.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=9616

Perhaps their ground system has degraded over the years?

jr
Interesting, the antennas for KNX are located in a public park where all the local soccer teams meet. Its says the phase angle is 0 so I wonder if their just broadcasting omni.
Interesting stuff.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Interesting, the antennas for KNX are located in a public park where all the local soccer teams meet. Its says the phase angle is 0 so I wonder if their just broadcasting omni.
I appears that they are only using one tower, so it would be non directional (ND-1 is shown). If you check the "ASRNs within .5 km" list, it appears that there are 2 nearby towers that are owned by CBS, perhaps these were used at one time to provide a different pattern day- to -night.

jr

Update... Scott Fybush to the Rescue....He says that in the late 50s CBS experimented with a directional array...but it did not work out:

http://www.fybush.com/site-020313.html

Last edited by jr_tech; 05-26-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: add tower of the week link for LA
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

This guy has got my KIWA BCB loop borrowed out...Maybe I oughta get it back from him, & hook it up to the little Arvins...Mbwahahahahaha...I took the KIWA over to a bud's house one time, Sunday afternoon in the winter, we hooked it up to his-I think it was a Philco late '30s cathdral-that he'd had trouble picking up ANYTHING on, & Voila' ! the radio came alive...We were picking up AM daytimers outta KY & Virginia, local service stations that whose coverage usually petered out by their county lines...Plus, he lives in a bowl/box shaped valley, closed in on 3 sides by mountains,& on the 4th side by one a field's length away. The nite Mr. 2-Tuber almost picked up WLAC, I had it hooked up to a reasonable antenna I have strung around the ceiling in my "Ship's Radio Room". I had Terry re-cap him not long ago, he may do better now. Not too shabby for a el-cheapo 72 yr old set...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroking View Post
Had one of those Flavoradios in the mid seventies. That was a honest
radio that could pull some DX at night.
I have two of those Flavoradios and you are right. They are a true example of a real transistor radio. The performance is typical of a six transistor set of the era. They are cheaply made but not flimsy and are quite dependable. Everyone should have at least one of these.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I don't know how often the Atlanta area or the New Orleans area (wherever your mother lives today) has power outages, but she will be ready for the next one, if and when...maybe....I would think your mother's Flavoradio would be worse than useless in any emergency worse than a power outage these days for that reason.
Well, I had picked up a second hand battery-operated weather radio with an alert for her about six months before she moved back home. It didn't have "SAME" but proved useful nonetheless - woke her up at least once for a tornado warning the next county over.

We have one AM station (WWL, which also simulcasts on FM) that is very dependable for news/weather coverage during the day, and although they've slipped a few times they've often covered weather events live in the wee hours. We used to have WDSU-TV 6 to fall back on - their audio signal was on the bottom of the FM dial.

Truthfully, I can count on my transistor and weather radios and the rotary dial phones when the power fails.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I do remember seeing one new AM-only radio about 2004 or maybe 2005. This was soon after a large chain of discount food stores (one of the ones that mainly sells their own brands) had been selling a "Micro FM" radio for $1, including earphones.
This one was built into the same tiny clear plastic cabinet the FM radios were, only it had a dial (not a scan button) for AM, and a tiny (2 cm long, maybe a gram) loopstick visible in the case.
It did not perform nearly as well as a Micro-FM, downright abysmal. It needed about 25mV/m to hear a thing, and was about 300 kHz off calibration.
I might still have it in the basement somewhere.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I made a YT video of this radio, showing the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7x4lgmGTP8