Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

On the subject of sellers saying "untested", I do that all the time when I just don't want to bother with it. It doesn't mean I took anything out, or that I know something big is failed. So I hope that other sellers say that with the same truth.

In the case of an old TV, as we know, you have to inspect the whole thing visually, haul out the Variac, meter the B+, and spend a good half hour fiddling with it and reaching around feeling filter cans for heat. If a tube is missing, spend an hour pawing through a huge box of tubes. Yada, yada, yada. Then after all that, you have to hope it STILL does the same whatever when it reaches the buyer.

So if I have a set that I just got as a rescue, or that I never got around to, it doesn't pay for me to do all that and then make $10 on it.

Charles
Old 11-04-2007, 10:23 PM
sampson159

truer words were never spoken. when i got to this set,brian did plug it in and and told me it had audio. he did swipe a tube for another set. i just think that the cabinet was trashed and the set looked so bad that he didn t want to waste
alot of time on it. i totally understood. for 10 dollars,i didnt expect much. just a parts set. i will get this working! no one gets rich in this business. just the enjoyment of getting these great pieces back in good hands. i did get a very nice ctc 16 from him that needed a good set-up and a bad safety glass removed,(scratched and very cloudy-totally obliterated the picture). this will be my keeper. maybe the roundie too. cabinet is so ugly that it has become attractive, like an old dog!