Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

One does NOT need to have an R-390 to achieve SWL bliss, there are many, many excellent radios out there. Tube models I have personal experience with-Hallicrafters S-39- Better collectable than radio. SX-25- Very good set. SX-28- Gold standard WW2 era set. Still pretty decent, but more of a collectable nowadays. SX-73- 1951 TOTL Halli set. Excellent performer, rare, butt-ugly. SX-62- Get this one & you've got it all- Performance, looks, even has the modern FM band. Hammarlund- SP-600- Their TOTL. R-390 class, or close to it. Get a later version that doesn't have the infamous BBOD(Black Beauty of Death) caps in it, though. HQ-129A- Fabled MW performer, a bit long in the tooth now. National SW-54- Good boy's 1st radio. AA5 set w/SW bands. Modest performer. NC-98- What the boy got for Christmas a year or 2 later. Better performer. NC-125- The Buick of the National line. NC-183D- Not quite their TOTL but close. You won't go wrong w/this radio, however. HRO 50T1- Their TOTL set. Archaic 1935 design, you have to change coil sets in them to change bands. Getting the 2 coilsets that cover the MW band is a PITA, too. But HROs are good performers. Scott- RBO-2- Shipboard morale receiver, good MW coverage, limited SW coverage. SLRM-similar late WW2 morale radio. 800-B-Good performer, excellent sound, some models have modern FM band, turntable & TV. There you have a thumbnail sketch on a few of the more popular/readily available "boatanchors". A lot of them will require a speaker, virtually all will require some maintenance, but there's something about playing w/a big, old, multitube, multiband radio that is hard to beat...
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Longwire radio, New, all-mode: Icom R75. Biggest bang for the buck desktop base rig. I call mine "The Postman" 'cuz it always delivers. The $ point of rapidly diminishing returns for new at ca $600.
Longwire radio, Used: Icom R75, Drake R-8. Ca $450 with patient shopping, the best bench radios for the money at the $ point of rapidly diminishing returns.

Portable, new: (no SSB reception) Redsun/Kaito RP2100/ or CCRadio-SW with upgraded AM BCB. Highly rated for the bux at ca $120-$150.
Sony ICF-7600GR w/synch AM and SSB reception. The benchmark-best current small all-wave portable, ca $150.
Kaito/DEGEN 1103, budget priced over-acheiver w/SSB reception. Good small port with most for least $, ca $80.
Portable, used: Sony ICF-2010, Sony ICF 7600G, both with AM synch and SSB reception. Benchmark-best in respective classes. Sangean ATS-803(A)/R-S DX-440 and variants, honorable mention for execptional value at sub-$100 used.

Portable vintage: Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000 BCB-SWBC AM/FM. Analogue tuning.
They really don't make anything like this anymore, handwired with all-American made parts and plug-in transistors. Once the best portable DX radio, period. Still relatively plentiful and affordable if one accepts a working example that isn't otherwise perfect. I like mine a lot and use it on AC to avoid having to load in 9 'D' cells. If you want classic vintage without maintainance issues this is it.

"Stickshift" (analogue knob-and-dial) tuned older sets like the older portables and tube sets have their own charm but are more like fishing blind than going direct to frequency with a precise numbered read-out. Tube radios have their very special maintainance requirements, a heavy tube set needs to have competent local technical service available. Fortunately I can service my own R390A (70lbs) and Hammarlund Super Pro 210X /Sig Corps BC-1004-C (120+lbs). Lightweight tube sets generally don't deliver the goods well enuff to satisfy in the long term. I wouldn't recommend toobz for noobz without a local mentor regardless, too many pitfalls to mention.
S.B.

Last edited by Pio1980; 12-14-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Sangean ATS803(A)/RSDX440 and variants added.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Pio1980, excellent post!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post

Kaito/DEGEN 1103, budget priced over-acheiver w/SSB reception. Good small port with most for least $, ca $80.
After looking at the various options, I decided to go with one of these.

Thanks to everyone for all their advice and comments.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

We'll be waiting for your review after you get it!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartk View Post
After looking at the various options, I decided to go with one of these.

Thanks to everyone for all their advice and comments.
Good choice! You'll find out if it's for you and how much with something that is capable of decent performance on-the-cheap.

A worthwhile acessory; http://www.passband.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Passport-World.../dp/0914941666

Best Rgds & a Great Holiday season to you, yours, and all!
S.B.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nothing like DX-ing, signal coming in from over (whichever) ocean, rolling strong then weaker then strong over the waves, waves of heat and that unique aroma wafting up from the tubes, cup of coffee, armchair Marconi!

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Nothing like DX-ing, signal coming in from over (whichever) ocean, rolling strong then weaker then strong over the waves, waves of heat and that unique aroma wafting up from the tubes, cup of coffee, armchair Marconi!

Reece
That's almost like haiku. Just a tad bit longer.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Ken/N9QPE naperville il

i second the R1000 . its a great receiver , hook it up to a long wire/ dipole and your good to go .

N9QPE..Ken
Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sangean ATS803(A)/R-S DX-440 and variants added to my used portable listing, forgot them as an honorable mention exceptional value.
S.B.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
VK Member

I have a Grundig Satellit 800, which is supposed to be one of the best available (I won it in a contest a few years ago, have barely used it; definitely not an SW expert). All digital tuning. Looks like it may be worth a bit, may have to put it up for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grst0800.jpg (60.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM
ZL2MC

Good choice - I've had one for 18months or so and it's very good. Reviewers complain about the 'funny' volume control but it takes about five minutes to get used to it as a "multi-use" knob. Very sensitive, even on the whip antenna, with good filters to keep out the adjacent channel splatter on broadcast band. One word of warning - this hasn't happened to me but - some users have zapped the pre-amplifier with static charges by touching the whip antenna before the metal speaker grill. Spares are available but you'll need a very small soldering iron and magnifyting glasses! I regularly receive the NY aeronautical weather on 6604kHz from New Zealand!

If it ain't glowin', it ain't going'.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 AM
ZL2MC

Drooling over a Panasonic 9000? I'd rather drool over a Braun T1000CD!

If it ain't glowin', it ain't going'.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
Drooling over a Panasonic 9000? I'd rather drool over a Braun T1000CD!
Saw one of those at an indoor flea mkt nearby some 15 yrs ago and knew what it was having lived in Germany for several years. Still regret not getting it but money was tight then. Only one I've seen "in the wild".
S.B.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Drool? I slobbered over one of those Brauns when I was a kid. Me want.
Audiokarma