Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ts18 verticle problem

Ok this ts18 I recapped and upon trying for the first time the hold pot was maxed to keep from rolling then after Alittle while the roll started and now has got so bad that the pic can hardly be seen, just massive lines and jumping. So I changed all Micas in the vert and horiz no change. So I already went over resistors in the beginning and changed 2 resistors and there are no more resistors out of tolerance still no change. Checked the vert size and hold pot resistance is good . I'm sure I'm missing something here if anyone has an idea what's going on with this please I'm all eyes. The crt is bright so the hv is ok and also subbed tubes in the vert and horiz nothing works. What I did do is I was able to get the roll to stop and almost a full screen by placing a .01 cap from ground to pin 4 of the 6sl7 at the 100k resistor which is good also. So I don't know maybe a ground leak to something in the vert but where. The horiz is perfect. The lines look like retrace lines without the mod. I'm lost here. Is it possible for a resistor to check good out of circuit but in the circuit change drastic value.

Last edited by timmy; 03-06-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Did you replace the high voltage caps with tubulars? When I did my TS-18 chassis I used ceramic discs and they did not work well in the vertical. I would check every resistor and cap in the vertical oscillator and output circuits. Also check for wiring errors. Despite being careful, it does happen. These chassis perform well when restored.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Did you replace the high voltage caps with tubulars? When I did my TS-18 chassis I used ceramic discs and they did not work well in the vertical. I would check every resistor and cap in the vertical oscillator and output circuits. Also check for wiring errors. Despite being careful, it does happen. These chassis perform well when restored.
Well I am using ceramic disc for now and I know they work since upon getting done recapping it had a great pic and clear. I already checked all resistors more then once and replaced a few but that's it. I have several others like this, 2 ts18 s and ts4ds and they work great but this one is giving me a run for sure.its like something failed shortly after running it but can't find it. I have a cap checker and the discs I'm using for now are fine.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

There are 2 10meg resistors that I changed at the 6sl7 and put in 2 1meg resistors mistakenly , and some how I have verticle hold close to maxed on one end but the vert size is almost maxed to fill the most of the screen. So I'm wondering if because I'm using ceramic disc caps instead of tubular could this be messing up the verticle and size because there is not enough capacity. And the wrong resistors I put in maybe they accidentally made the wrong caps work. Because these sets are known to work with disc caps mine seems to be the exception to other sets like this one.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:40 PM
M is for Memory

Put the right resistors in, check and if it is still not right loose the ceramic caps, then check back.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Put the right resistors in, check and if it is still not right loose the ceramic caps, then check back.
I had the right resistors in as they were at 10.55 meg so I mistook the colors on the resistors and changed them but I put in 1 meg so putting them back won't solve it. I'm just not sure if these caps alone would do this, although I have one tubular on one side of the verticle and ceramic on the other side. The horiz has both exact same ceramics in but that's fine so maybe the mix between the tubular and disc maybe throwing it off. I didn't order the right caps yet figuring I could use these to get the set running.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
RCA 741PCS

Horizontal runs at a much higher frequency so you can usually get by with ceramics. Ceramic will definitely give you problems in the vertical unless you use a much larger value then specified.

Tom used 0.01 uF caps with good results.

You can read all about it here: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=260749
Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Horizontal runs at a much higher frequency so you can usually get by with ceramics. Ceramic will definitely give you problems in the vertical unless you use a much larger value then specified.

Tom used 0.01 uF caps with good results.

You can read all about it here: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=260749
The 0.01 would be the same as .01 ?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:59 PM
RCA 741PCS

Yes
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

well I need some direction here with this ts18 verticle problem . After changing all Micas in the vert section and horiz and recapped all else the weird thing I have going on here is not only can I not find any bad resistors anywhere and the b+ and b++ is right on the money but there is lines jumping all over and really can't see any pic but if I take a .01 cap and parallel it to the .004 at the 6sl7 I have vert hold and almost a full screen except for some linearity loss and a great picture. One end of the .004 is ground .
Audiokarma
Old 03-08-2017, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Have you changed the 2 resistors in the vertical back to the correct value (10meg) ?

jr
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Have you changed the 2 resistors in the vertical back to the correct value (10meg) ?

jr
Yes put the 2 10 meg resistors back. I don't have a hv probe it stopped working so could it be low hv but yet still have a bright screen.

Last edited by timmy; 03-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

That .004 cap has to be exactly .004 mfd. Try another .004 cap
Old 03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadcaster View Post
That .004 cap has to be exactly .004 mfd. Try another .004 cap
Well don't have another, the one I have is new but is there another that may be close enough to rule anything else out.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is what I have you can see a picture in there but there's to much roll that cannot be adjusted. I even adjusted the hv ring thinking maybe low hv but no change. Sorry the iPad flipped the image.

Last edited by timmy; 04-24-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Audiokarma