Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

I vote for keeping Canadian TVs in the other forums

Does Canada count as international? If so most of my posts should
Move here... However they're so similar to US models I think it wouldn't be productive to move them. I vote to keep the Canadian TVs with the American ones in the original forums.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Absolutely right. I changed the forum description to "outside North America"

But in either event, you're welcome to post Canadian TVs wherever you wish. We're pretty loose with the structuring. The whole reason I created the forum was because I ran into an influx of Australian TV collectors on Facebook
Old 05-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Not sure how I got here.

There are a few ways of looking at international tv's. By nationality where they are used,
by company name, and by broadcast system. There are a few countries that used NTSC
just like here, and I find exploring the sets that use our system, but not sold in our
market to be very interesting.... I find it interesting for example, that Robb finds many
boom boxes at yard sales with short wave bands, and these are Panasonics, and Sanyo's
just like we may have had here, but made specifically for the Canada Market, or other
non US markets as well...
Old 05-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Canada didn't have many of its own brands, i.e. Electrohome sets were re-badged Mitsubishis for a while. No idea what the Viking sets were based on, it was an Eaton's house brand.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Canada didn't have many of its own brands, i.e. Electrohome sets were re-badged Mitsubishis for a while. No idea what the Viking sets were based on, it was an Eaton's house brand.
Sets Made in Canada and not sold in USA? Sure there were a few

Electrohome
Rogers
Rogers/Majestic and later made in Canada Philips sets.
Eaton Viking (house brand at Eatons)
Marconi
Baycrest (house brand at the Bay)
RCA Victor (early ones made in Montreal, not the same as the US models)
Transonic (house brand at Woodwards)
Clairtone
Fleetwood (made in Montreal, I have a Fleetwood made Silvertone branded CTC-16 knock off)

Electrohome were not Mitsubishi until well into the 80s, they had lots of unique to Canada products.

I am sure I am missing lots here, not to mention the big names like Admiral, GE, Westinghouse etc who had Canadian subsidiaries which made TVs and radios paralleling the US models with subtle differences. Quite often when I see an old TV "in the wild" it is not a model which also sold in the USA, especially if it's from before 1970.

Despite that Canada had unique products I just think that the Made in Canada sets are not any different from mainstream US products than, say, Packard Bell in California is different from RCA in New Jersey. They're built to more or less the same standard as American TVs, (aside from 25Hz transformers in really early 50s stuff built for Ontario).and I would rather have access to the NTSC TV repair experts in the main forums, than post in a separate forum where PAL and other systems dominate.

Last edited by maxhifi; 05-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've seen pictures of Fairbanks-Morse TV's sold in Canada. They looked the same as the U.S. built, Admirals. Bakelite 21" table model sets and others.
The only consumer, Fairbanks-Morse products, sold in the U.S. were radios and refrigerators, before 1940. Other F-M products, known here were Diesel engines, pumps, locomotives and large electric motors and generators.
I've seen a few Eaton's mid 60's portable 19" sets. The chassis looked like Canadian Admirals.
They were badged "Royalmont". The labeling on the bottom, stated "Eatons" of Canada.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I've seen pictures of Fairbanks-Morse TV's sold in Canada. They looked the same as the U.S. built, Admirals. Bakelite 21" table model sets and others.
The only consumer, Fairbanks-Morse products, sold in the U.S. were radios and refrigerators, before 1940. Other F-M products, known here were Diesel engines, pumps, locomotives and large electric motors and generators.
I've seen a few Eaton's mid 60's portable 19" sets. The chassis looked like Canadian Admirals.
They were badged "Royalmont". The labeling on the bottom, stated "Eatons" of Canada.
I've got to keep a lookout for those sets. As for Electrohome, I had forgotten that the company had been around a long time before Mitsubishi started making their TVs in 1984.

Speaking of Eaton's labels, here's the label behind my dryer door:

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've got to keep a lookout for those sets. As for Electrohome, I had forgotten that the company had been around a long time before Mitsubishi started making their TVs in 1984.

Speaking of Eaton's labels, here's the label behind my dryer door:
Is the machine made in USA or Canada?
I see it's rated for 208 volts, Y network power, used in large apartment complexes. At 208 volts, the heating element produces less heat and the drying process, takes a little longer.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Keeping US- Canadian together is best.
Many sets go back & fourth across the boarder. The ones that dont
are near identical. In Mass. Vikings ( Admirals) were often seen
& quite a few real Electrohomes. Even fixed an Electrohome built
console stereo once. If you see an Advent Video Beam set it
either has a Sylvania or Electrohome chassis. The Electrohome
built sets are as good as any middle tier US set & near an RCA
or Zenith. IMHO all you Canadian cats should have one in your
collections.

73 Zeno
Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
Absolutely right. I changed the forum description to "outside North America"
Thank you for the base Kamakiri
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2014, 06:36 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I don't want to argue with a free forum, but I think there are too many "specialty" boards as it is.

I like seeing stuff from the rest of the world, but if I hadn't noticed this sub-board today I would have missed it (I almost never log on from an actual computer, just use bookmarks on my phone).

Australians were already held back from color development because of kangaroos sensitivity to high-voltage "whine"; we shouldn't isolate them in some foreign-tv backwater

Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Things do get a tad confusing when sets from outside North America do come up, and having another sub-board isn't going to use up any more server space, so it can't hurt really. At least those who are interested in sets from other parts of the world will know where to look for any info we might have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Is the machine made in USA or Canada?
I see it's rated for 208 volts, Y network power, used in large apartment complexes. At 208 volts, the heating element produces less heat and the drying process, takes a little longer.
I don't know. It's not a coin-op machine, so it isn't for apartment complexes.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

What's ironic is I just picked up a Canadian Marconi table top tv from 1953 which is loaded full of made in England parts... It came up just as I got the predicta for really cheap, it's amazing how primitive it is compared to the predicta
Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

My Magnavox Star System/Touch Tune remotes were made in Germany, go figure.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:09 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Things do get a tad confusing when sets from outside North America do come up, and having another sub-board isn't going to use up any more server space, so it can't hurt really. At least those who are interested in sets from other parts of the world will know where to look for any info we might have.

I don't know. It's not a coin-op machine, so it isn't for apartment complexes.
Some nicer apt. complexes have laundry closets (ie a closet with a non-coin-op washer and dryer, and sometimes the waterheater inside) in each apartment...I should know I've lived in one or two in the past.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma