Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Procrastination Expert

What a nice looking set! I love the dark finish. What type of wood is that?

If you find a good source for the "Deluxe" badge on the front let me know, the emblem is broken in the same way on my set. Mine also has the "panoramic speaker system" and phono in (I think I spy a phono jack on yours), which works out great... the sound quality is really quite good and having a line in is a nice bonus.

-J
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Bob,

Glad you were able to get it for a trade. I was also wanting it and when the seller upped the price from the original, I think $350 to double that, I decided I didn't want it that badly. But man, IS THAT THING CHERRY OR WHAT? Getting it for a trade was very fortunate.

I have a CTC7 Pensburry in the Maple finish, however the finish on mine is pretty bad and needs refinishing. Your's looks showroom new. Is that the way you acquired it?
Hi Bob;

Yes, my Pensbury was in that condition when I acquired it about a year and a half ago. There is a very light ring on the top, but nothing that a strategically placed lamp or set of rabbit ears wouldn't take care of. And yes, I was very fortunate that the "seller" of the Grenoble has the collecting "bug" as bad as I do, and was willing and anxious to make the trade for a very desireable piece of vintage audio equipment.

Congrats on your CTC5 Wingate Bob, that's one beautiful looking set. I can see that a lot of time and effort went into that restoration. I love those old technicolor flicks, the colors just seem to jump off the screen at you. Great job...
Bob
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
What a nice looking set! I love the dark finish. What type of wood is that?

If you find a good source for the "Deluxe" badge on the front let me know, the emblem is broken in the same way on my set. Mine also has the "panoramic speaker system" and phono in (I think I spy a phono jack on yours), which works out great... the sound quality is really quite good and having a line in is a nice bonus.

-J
Hi compu_85;
The wood is ribbon Mahogany, which was pretty standard fare for the majority of TV's of that vintage. This one just happens to be in very good original condition and shows very well. It should look even nicer when I get around to the polish and wax phase of the restoration.

That "Deluxe" badge will be a difficult thing to find, unless I can find a junker to pull it off of. I think that's about the only hope to find one. And Yes, the sound system is really quite good on these sets. I have a CTC9 with the same 6X9 woofer and two tweeters and it sounds phenominal. I have a nice RCA 45rpm player that will look real nice sitting there with the TV.

Bob
Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Mark

Hey Bob! Those are some BEAUTIFUL 7's! I am very happy for you. Excellent score!!
I can't wait to see a picture on either one, but that remote 7 is my holy grail set, or one of 'em
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Avoiding electrocution.

Ampico, both of those TV sets are gorgeous!!! Very nice. The Grenoble has nice sharp mid-century style lines with matching cherry-red mahogany finish while the Pensbury is cool and classy in its light honey maple finish. I don't know if I could choose between them, myself.
Audiokarma