Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
"Book em Dano!"

The Sears Toshiba built stuff was utter crap. I had my Grandmothers portable color set from the late sixties. All tube. It never had good focus or great color like our 72 maggie did. Even our Zenith roundie that mas much older was far better. Our neighbor had a Sears console from the same era also a Toshiba. The sears service guy was there every couple of months. they were glad to finally get rid of it. Of course they went to Sears to buy the new one.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
The Sears Toshiba built stuff was utter crap. I had my Grandmothers portable color set from the late sixties. All tube. It never had good focus or great color like our 72 maggie did. Even our Zenith roundie that mas much older was far better. Our neighbor had a Sears console from the same era also a Toshiba. The sears service guy was there every couple of months. they were glad to finally get rid of it. Of course they went to Sears to buy the new one.
That console model was probably a Warwick built set. Toshiba only built portable and table models at that time. After 1975, Sanyo bought out Warwick and even the consoles had Sanyo chassis. Those smaller sets had low voltage focus on the CRT's and as they aged, they weren't very clear.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bradford comes Home

Took a run up to Butler, NJ and picked up the Bradford color TV. It's in amazing condition. It belonged to an elderly lady who apparently was a horder of the first order. It looked at though she couldn't part with any of her possessions through the years. She passed away last April at the age of 79 and left her daughter a late 1950's vintage house jam packed full of all kinds of stuff. This TV was neatly stashed under a blanket in one of the rooms and is in near perfect overall physical condition. Looking into the back of the set I did notice that the crt is an RCA Colorama 21GVP22, and it reads like a new tube. I see the very early stages of a cataract beginning to appear at the extreme edges.

I haven't fired up the thing up yet on the variac, need some time to look it over first.

Here are a few pictures........................Bob

Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 AM
"Book em Dano!"

That is in amazing condition! Looks like a 15 clone?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Administrator

WGEC, Wells Gardner Electronics Corp?

That set is like new! and almost nothing but Orange Drops, it looks very high quality.
I bet you it works.

One thing though, is there supposed to be a cover over the flyback?
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, it certainly does look new. When I look at the front, the cabinet design, it sure looks 60s. I grew up in the 60s and still find that design to be "in style". Glad that you rescued this set.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
That is in amazing condition! Looks like a 15 clone?
Too bad a "hack" technician worked on it. I love the job they did on the flyback. It must have a loose ferrite core on it. They wedged that screw under it to make it stop whistling.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's definitely a Wells Gardner made set - great acquisition!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

When you get a "hoarder" who keeps everything neat and clean that's one thing. This woman might have done many collectors a big favor. That is a really nice looking set for a "dime store" piece. I liked Bradford products, although I've never owned any.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
M is for Memory

These more recent pictures make it look a lot less......Cartoonish than the sellers picture.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is a really nice TV - good score!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
WGEC, Wells Gardner Electronics Corp?

That set is like new! and almost nothing but Orange Drops, it looks very high quality.
I bet you it works.

One thing though, is there supposed to be a cover over the flyback?
Right you are Eric! I brought up the set today on the variac and it immediately sprang to life. I was surprised..no shocked at the quality of the picture. I'm thinking maybe it's the 21GVP22 crt. It looks very bright, clear, and sharp as a razor's edge. The black and white tracking looked about perfect and the only problem I see is I don't have color sync. But..once I get the Sams on it, I can check it out a little more thoroughly. If that's the worst problem that it has...I'll consider myself very lucky.

And yes....the HV cage cover is missing. Unfortunately the tube placement/function chart must have been on the cage cover.
Bob
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Motorola Minion

Excellent looking set! That parts list on the label is unique also. Is that chassis screw lodged under the flyback plate to eliminate squeal?

That control cluster is about the most practical ever. I wonder who built that for Grant's stores. The bronze plated chassis is super sharp.
I used to curse my '68 Magnetbox T933 as I had to reach over the top to adjust the thumbwheel controls on the rear. I kept it as a daily only cause it was a remote control set
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Is that chassis screw lodged under the flyback plate to eliminate squeal?
Your guess is as good as mine. But I'd assume that's probably the reason it's wedged in there.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampico-kid View Post
Right you are Eric! I brought up the set today on the variac and it immediately sprang to life. I was surprised..no shocked at the quality of the picture. I'm thinking maybe it's the 21GVP22 crt. It looks very bright, clear, and sharp as a razor's edge. The black and white tracking looked about perfect and the only problem I see is I don't have color sync. But..once I get the Sams on it, I can check it out a little more thoroughly. If that's the worst problem that it has...I'll consider myself very lucky.

And yes....the HV cage cover is missing. Unfortunately the tube placement/function chart must have been on the cage cover.
Bob
Too bad the original schematic is gone. Wells Gardner used to staple a complete schematic and parts list to the inside of the cabinets. The layout is identical to a CTC15. I see all the parts are dated mid-1965. The CRT must have been replaced at one time. I don't think the newer 21GVP22 was out that early.
Audiokarma