Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

2001 Sylvania (Funai) 13" TV

Awhile back, someone on Facebook messaged me and said they had an old B&W TV that had been sitting under their carport for years and if I wanted it, they'd bring it to me. I accepted and what the brought me was a 13" Sylvania color set from 2001. Although not really old enough for my liking, I appreciate the guy thinking of me and I appreciate him bringing it to me.

Even though it wasn't B&W, I believe it had been sitting under his carport for years because it was very dirty. In fact, one of the rear cover screw holes was full of dirt and the screw head had rusted (that screw was fun to remove).

When tested, I was greeted with very little vertical sweep and that was due to cracked solder connections on the vertical output IC.

Once that was corrected, I had to replace an open speaker and some very cruddy and non-functional tact switches (the latter problems likely caused by moisture, from the set being on his carport for years).

For a cheap TV, it has a nice picture and it has composite (mono audio) A/V inputs, but a remote is needed to switch it to the A/V inputs.

Now, here's the baffling part. I was looking at completed listings on Ebay for this very model set, and I found 3 that sold in the $55-$60 range (plus shipping). My question is, why? It's not like these are an uncommon hard-to-find item and I can promise you that all one would have to do is get out on a Saturday, do a little looking at flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, etc., and they could get a TV like this for no more than $10. Frankly, I think these people paying upwards of $50 for sets like this on Ebay just have more money than sense and they can't be bothered to do a little local looking.

In my area, most of the local thrift stores have stopped taking them because they don't sell, but there are still some thrift stores that have them, and I often see them at estate sales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001 Sylvania 13 inch (360x400).jpg (108.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-28-2023, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Now, here's the baffling part. I was looking at completed listings on Ebay for this very model set, and I found 3 that sold in the $55-$60 range (plus shipping). My question is, why?
Good question. I've had "retro gamers" call my shop looking for old CRT TVs, and I told them just to troll FB Marketplace and tag/garage/estate sales. They could be had for next to nothing, and in my opinion I'd charge people to remove them!

My best guess is that it's just impatience. They decide they want a CRT TV and just pay for one that's a click away as opposed to hoofing it to find one.

The only logical explanation I can think of to pay that much for a run of the mill 13" is whether someone needed a particular CRT for an arcade console. Back then, most 13" could interchange with a small amount of work. Yes, you could still find them by hoofing it but if you need a jug in a hurry, you can buy one from your computer.

Other than that... ?????

John
Old 08-28-2023, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gamers are possible. Also old folk that want something simple ( like me !).
Even with CRT TV's teaching them how to use a new set could be
challenging.
The last sets we sold used went to dorms & summer homes. Nobody
would steal a 35" set. Some bold thieves would take them & they were
so bold they would go back for the hand unit.

73 Zeno
LFOD !