Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Huh?

Penncrest Roundie on ebay

Don't think I've ever seen one of these before, but then, I don't get out much...
No affiliation, etc.
Linky

veg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penncrest_1.jpg (77.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Ooh. That's a heck of a drive (4 hours) but I am going to watch this one. I've been trying for a long while to find a "daily watcher" roundie. This looks very promising.

-Ian
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another rare one...ha, no doubt about what chassis it is! Should make a very good set once it's sorted out.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Electronics Accumulator

Yeah, I know - it's amazing. I can't seem to actually locate a "common" roundie. I have four roundies now. None of which are working. I have a Magnavox combo roundie "backward chassis" with a bad flyback. A GE roundie in storage with a very, very broken cabinet, broken picture tube and no HOT. A Philco roundie with a dud picture tube. And a Sylvania CTC-4 in need of a major overhaul.

I have been looking for years for a CTC-16, to no avail. Weird, huh?

The CTC-4 is next up for restoration, I've got all the caps I think I need, I just need to sit down and begin the huge task of rebuilding it. At least that one should have a good picture tube. The flyback looks iffy though. And I don't know if I'd want to put a lot of hours on the thing once it's rebuilt (if I can get it to work at all).

And after all the effort I've put into hunting, I still don't have one that can work!

-Ian
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroHacker View Post
Yeah, I know - it's amazing. I can't seem to actually locate a "common" roundie. I have four roundies now. None of which are working. I have a Magnavox combo roundie "backward chassis" with a bad flyback. A GE roundie in storage with a very, very broken cabinet, broken picture tube and no HOT. A Philco roundie with a dud picture tube. And a Sylvania CTC-4 in need of a major overhaul.

I have been looking for years for a CTC-16, to no avail. Weird, huh?

The CTC-4 is next up for restoration, I've got all the caps I think I need, I just need to sit down and begin the huge task of rebuilding it. At least that one should have a good picture tube. The flyback looks iffy though. And I don't know if I'd want to put a lot of hours on the thing once it's rebuilt (if I can get it to work at all).

And after all the effort I've put into hunting, I still don't have one that can work!

-Ian
Mine don't work either! {not properly anyways} LOL! but never give up, gotta keep hunting! You'll find a gem. I am slowly getting everything I need to restore mine.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Ian: I did my 4 over a period of about 4 months, with many short sessions, as time allowed. It is a big job. Have you decided if you are going to re-stuff the cans when you do your 4? I may re-do mine that way, or leave it to the next caretaker.
Best wishes,
Kevin
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Electronics Accumulator

I haven't decided. It's going to be a big job, either way. I am going to start with the power supply, for sure. It's pretty cramped in there, and very filthy. I may end up restuffing the cans to keep everything neat - or mount terminal strips underneath the cans. The selenium stacks are getting upgraded to diodes, that's for sure.

I am definitely going to go for that Penncrest - should be a fairly easy repair and a good perfomer, and it will fill the "daily watcher" position nicely.

-Ian
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by grimer; 05-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Retro, did you get the Penncrest set? I was going to bid on it (and would certainly have won seeing it only went for $67), but came here first and saw you were trying for it. Hope ya got it!
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Yep. I got it. I had to stay up until 2 AM, and I bid at the last few seconds. I bid rather more than the $67, I was pleasantly suprised that I was able to get it for that - I was really, really worried I was going to wind up paying more than I could really afford... After the last three or four roundies I've tried for on eBay always went for too much, I'm really excited to get this one!

Funny thing though, I was sitting there in front of the computer, and refreshing. It got down to like 40 seconds, so I hit "Bid" on the other window I had ready... and at just that instant, the internet connection hung! Thankfully, it sorted itself out in 20 seconds or so, but man, that was frustrating...

Going to be a road trip to go pick it up - it's a four hour drive. But hopefully it's nothing too serious to repair. I wonder what could fail and smoke to the left of the flyback cage?

-Ian
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Glad you got it, Ian ! We WILL be expecting pics, you know...(grin)
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM
sampson159

congrats! very interesting roundie. good luck with it and please post pics!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroHacker View Post
Funny thing though, I was sitting there in front of the computer, and refreshing. It got down to like 40 seconds, so I hit "Bid" on the other window I had ready... and at just that instant, the internet connection hung! Thankfully, it sorted itself out in 20 seconds or so, but man, that was frustrating...
Try justsnipe.com for those times you can't be there or really don't want to miss out! It's a little disconcerting having to give them your eBay account information, but I've been using them for a couple of years now and everything's good.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I occasionally use ensipe.com when I really want something. Very handy. Most stuff on ebay doesn't bother me that much.