Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Resident Lunatic

Did DuMont ever broadcast in color?

Obviously NBC was the major home of early color programming starting in 1954. CBS broadcast the occasional program in color between 1954 and 1965. ABC would start showing color programs in 1962.

But did DuMont ever show a program, even a one off special or something simple, between the advent of NTSC color in late 1953/early 1954 and the death of the network in 1956? With DuMont being forced to share affiliate stations with other networks, at least some of DuMont's secondary affiliates would have had the ability to broadcast in color.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Obviously NBC was the major home of early color programming starting in 1954. CBS broadcast the occasional program in color between 1954 and 1965. ABC would start showing color programs in 1962.

But did DuMont ever show a program, even a one off special or something simple, between the advent of NTSC color in late 1953/early 1954 and the death of the network in 1956? With DuMont being forced to share affiliate stations with other networks, at least some of DuMont's secondary affiliates would have had the ability to broadcast in color.
I really don't know but I do have my doubts they ever did. Dumont was in trouble for a while around the time NTSC came out and what kept them going was WDTV, later KDKA-TV, in Pittsburgh on channel 3, later channel 2. Pittsburgh was the belt buckle of the network. WDTV was sold to Westinghouse in late 1954 so that would cause my to have doubts that Dumont would have any color broadcasts. They also had financial problems and although the WDTV sale did give some cash, I doub they would have been able to finance color broadcasts.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

which also makes me wonder how much CBS broadcast in color with is field sequential system in 1951????
Old 10-15-2017, 10:15 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

http://www.earlytelevision.org/dumont_multiscanner.html

Scroll down to see a blurb in Broadcasting, June 7, 1954: WABD New York will originate color from film and slides, but WDTV pittsburgh will only pass through network color.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

It would be awfully ironic if DuMont failed to make a color TV broadcast, as they had developed Vitascan, a clever color TV pickup system that worked in low light.
Audiokarma
Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
It would be awfully ironic if DuMont failed to make a color TV broadcast, as they had developed Vitascan, a clever color TV pickup system that worked in low light.
I had forgotten about Vitascan...

The only Vitascan installation I know of was at WITI in Wisconsin, which was an independent station in those years. I think it would be a safe bet that WABD in NY used Vitascan. WDTV would have been sold off to Westinghouse before Vitascan was rolled out...

It's interesting to me that WDTV is mentioned as showing network colorcasts from DuMont in the clipping from Wayne; if they did broadcast in color, then they would have shown the first colorcasts in Pittsburgh.

WDTV was also the NBC affiliate circa 1954 and I can find no documentation of NBC network programs being shown by WDTV, a DuMont O&O, in color in 1954.

Last edited by benman94; 10-16-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check out this old thread.

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...t=color+dumomt
Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you click on Vitascan link of earlytelevision piece, at very end it says they broadcast color commercials around NYC on closed-circuit.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:27 PM
console lover

closed circuit =/= broadcast
Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would bet DuMont had intentions of color broadcasting as they had a 15" color monitor & sync generator. Scroll down to monitors...

http://www.earlytelevision.org/15_inch_color.html
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/d...itor_specs.pdf
Audiokarma