Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Choosing a thermistor

I need to replace a 60-ohm PTC thermistor. I can't find a 60 so I'm wondering if a 50 can be used instead. If my guess is correct, the degaussing coil will just stay on a trifle longer with no ill effect.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Considering most PTC/Posistor degaussing thermistors have a 20% tolerance to start with, no problemo.

Just don't use a posistor from a 36" set in a 13" set. Big difference in thermal/resistive "hysteresis" that'll cook a d-coil on a smaller set. I saw this once with a Samsung 13" set serviced by someone else. No degaussing, so I replaced the positor, only to find an open d-coil - melted aluminum winding...

Tip to those saving posistors (little boxy thermistors for modern set degaussing) from junked sets - mark the screen dimensions on the posistor, as there is no cross reference for the markings on the units - some Murata ones have a partial part number, but most are house marked, so you have no idea if a 617-40 or an A28-2 will replace a DAF40.....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 05-14-2017, 05:22 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I didn't know degaussing coils could open, I assumed they would just get so hot they would trip a breaker or start a fire. I used a coil from a 19" set in a pinch when I had to do some manual degaussing. I ran it at probably less than half of line voltage but still it got too hot to handle in about 10 seconds. Buried the needle on the Powerite too.

I looked over the chassis of a junk 25V Hitachi for a posistor but couldn't spot one. Of course it seems Hitachi used some weird engineering, much more complex than I care to dig into. I got its oversized coil anyway so now I can mock up a decent manual degaussing coil. I hear a 100-watt light bulb makes a good current limiter for those.