Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not to sound like a trader to my country .I rather repair the Japanese sets then any American made set.

They had available parts chassis did not look like a rats nest of wires like some American sets had.The schematics and service manuals were easy to read even with the typos.

Some American sets were dogs to repair and had those house part numbers that could not get cross reffed to a replacement ECG/NTE/SK part no. Nevermind the rats nest of wires.

Those little mini schematics from GE were great.

I just love those 2SA,2SB,2SC,2SD transistor numbers.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Quasar too. That reminds me, Works In A Drawer. 'Nuff said.
....and Motorola Quasars had that nice white overlay with step-by-step adjustments - and the dittle stick was provided! Just follow the path, and she was nicely converged. I converged a whopping ONE Quasar - and probably 30-40 RCA tube sets. With the 23V/25A Universal rebuilds at 49 bucks, we did a lot of CRT jobs with RCAs. Quasars were mostly F/JA/VA panels and the occasional CA panel. I loved the Quasar design, unless asked to help load one - heavy as some Zeniths.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Weren't those the little color 9-inchers with double-sided pc boards that directly superceded the Portacolor line?
If so, I was gonna mention them in the "love to hate" thread. Intermittents in the boards were endemic to those sets, and pure hell to localize. And the schematic was of no help.
They actually were 10" sets. The CRT was the older 70 degree type, similar to the one used in the PC, but not interchangable. The tuners were rather trouble prone.