Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:35 PM
heathkit tv

Chick-ogg-o? My folks are from there. I recall the Marathon gas stations as well as Sinclair. Used to have one of the green plastic NY Worlds Fair Dinosaurs too, below is a pic of one from eBay. At that time there were all manner of injection molding machines are various museums---these usually used a sort of molten wax and had a particular smell.

I got a bust of Lincoln's head at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry and right after it popped out of the machine (still warm and a little soft) I stuffed a pencil thru it's head........"the bullets trajectory" is what I told people. GARSH, I'm sick! LOL

Anthony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gem16.jpg (45.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Charlie; 03-26-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:37 PM
AK Member

From some dusty corner of my memory: "Drive with care, and buy Sinclair"

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Anthony, you ARE a sick B*st*rd....But I love you, man !! Gimme a beer !! HehHehHehHeh....Yep, Dino was still warmish & a little soft when the Sinclair dude handed him to me- Funny how you can remember nonsense like that all these years later. I can still remember the Disney "It's a Small World" marionettes show-they gave us a 45 record of the song, which I still have somewhere. Paula, I can clearly remember the doctor makin' house calls- & the local cleaners picking up & delivering clothes. We had a little galvanised box outside our back door that the milkman delivered glass bottles of milk into. You'd pull into a filling station & get yr oil & water checked, & yr windshield cleaned. My gran would always rap on the windshield & point out to the guy where he missed a spot. .20 a gallon-By god, for THAT kinda money, they'd BETTER clean the damn windshield !! Who do they think we are, Jay Gould ?!?....Those were the days !! -Sandy G.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Peanut Head

"Who do they think we are, Jay Gould?"

Heh. My town partly is named after that ba****d.
John PARAmore and Jay GOULD (Railroad tycoons) = Paragould!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
AK Member

Well what do you know?

Here's one of those Sinclair radios up for bid right now! That's exactly what mine looked like.

Maybe they're not as rare as I thought...
Audiokarma
Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
auscultator inveterasco

My Grandaddy owned a Sinclair station in Bradenton, Fla. That was in the 60's. He refused to work on foreign "crap" and could still make a living. I would hate for him to see it now, though it would be nice to have him around.
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:13 PM
AK Member

My dad worked for Sinclair for about 20 years.

I have a few Sinclair pieces including the radio on auction.
Also have lighters, and a few other Sinclair pieces of his, from his Sinclair days.

He traveled from station to station in his area checking with dealers, then later was a budget analyst, and other jobs, in an area office.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I didn't know if anybody would catch the "Jay Gould" reference or not. But, this being Audiokarma, & basically populated by WAY above average intelligence folks, I should have known better. Anyhow, ol' Jay was who my gran was always accusing me of trying to bankrupt-" You're sendin' your poor little daddy to the Poorhouse ! I bet you could bankrupt Jay Gould !!" Y'know, its no wonder I'm so warped.....<grin>- Sandy G.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:54 AM
AK Member

On Transistor Radios

I started collecting transistor radios when I found a Zenith 500 at a garage sale that all the "hawks" had passed up and left sitting for .25. That radio pretty much started me on vintage audio collecting as I kept finding beautiful equipment at the sales and could not pass it up.

I love history and what fascinated me about transistors was the fact that the decision not to put tariffs on them is what eventually handed almost the entire electronics industry to the Japanese. The invention of the miniature tuning capacitor by Mitsui made the shirt pocket size transistor radio possible. Before that, the US made radios were what was called "coat pocket" radios due to their larger size.

There are a few good books on the subject, the best probobly being 'The Portable Radio in American Life" by Michael Brian Schiffer. It covers the entire scope of the development of the portable radio and the section on transistors is very good.

His main point in the book is that "cryptohistory", the rewriting of history by large corporations is rampant in the history of the portable radio, to the point that the CEO of Sony at one point went on TV claiming that Sony produced the first transistor radio, when in fact it was the Regency company and the TR-1. That radio was introduced in November 1954, one month before I was born(!).

The rest is history, as they say.

Lee
Old 04-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Up and Coming Bottlehead

Location: Lakeland, smack-dab in the middle between Tampa and Orlando, Florida!
Well, I don't know if this lil' Sony is worth anything, but this was my first transistor radio when I was a kid. It still works, and sits proudly on top of a bookcase now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gem25.jpg (123.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Charlie; 03-26-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-16-2004, 09:20 PM
heathkit tv

Here's a radio I had as a kid, some day I suppose I'll get another one just like it.

Anthony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gem26.jpg (107.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Charlie; 03-26-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:29 PM
AK Member

Update: The Ruby has landed

The overall level of quality and workmanship is surprisingly high, easily exceeding my expectations in that regard.

Paula
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gem27.jpg (73.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Charlie; 03-26-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:47 PM
AK Member

Here's another view of the Ruby, showing the original earphone that was included with the radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gem28.jpg (75.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Charlie; 03-26-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Peanut Head

It's very cool that the earphone matches the radio !

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:04 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CELT
It's very cool that the earphone matches the radio !
The color was one of the main reasons I wanted this particular radio.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Audiokarma