Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Picked Up" a Sylvania Roundie today!!!

I'll post pictures and info on this set in a few days, but thought you might like an interesting story. Way back in 1994 my Aunt moved into a house that had a Sylvania "roundie" that the past homeowner left upstairs. I lived in a packed apartment at the time, but conned my brother into making the 4 hour drive to pick it up. At my apartment we had an area with storage lockers so I put it in there. In 1996 I moved out of that apartment and forgot to move it with me. Well..... I had been thinking about it the last year, and today while estate saleing with a friend who has a truck we drove to my old building and went into the store room and it was still there!!!!!!! Took it to his house (he lets me store tv's in his finished basement) and fired it up. I'm going to have to check all tubes because the color "rainbows" It's probably got a bad 6GH8A. But the best part on this whole set is that is that it has a Black matrix Sylvania "New-Gun" picture tube that was installed in 1978! There was a repair ticket in the set and it had a flyback put in in 1978 as well. The B&W picture on this set is perfect and sharp!! Will let you know how it works out, and promise I will post pix. I've still got to post some of my Motorola which Captain Moody was so kind as to rebuild a module for me.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picture of Sylvania

sylvania roundie
Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 AM
On Land

Great looking Sylvania! Looks like you got the color back on track. Don't ya just love it when an old roundie simply needs a tube changed to bring it back!?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Charlie! The set still needs a "tad" bit of work, but yes! I love when it ends up being just a few tubes! (since that's about all I could handle anyway) Just have some more minor adjusting to do, and all should be well. My Admiral roundie is playing in the back-ground. It only took a few tubes as well, and was actually still in use when I got it, but..... the picture tube is NOT very good on that one..... I'll get a screen shot of it posted shortly.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Dead from the neck up

Is that Sylvania a D-01? I have one myself with a vinyl covered metal cabinet. It will be making the move from my mother's basement, along with an RCA CTC-16, next month.
Audiokarma