Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 211 is a high power output triode, if I remember correctly. Similar to the 811.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Is it really bad to operate my amps with the 12A6 tubes? I've put a lot of hours on those mono blocks and aside from some caps and a resistor they have been quite reliable....Not like I have or can afford getting two new pairs of output tubes for the next couple of months anyway....

What are 211's BTW?
I wouldn't worry about them failing. I guess if they were OK, 55 years ago, they should OK today. It was just an observation on my part about them.
They weren't used much in production equipment.
RE: the 211's they're using them in those pricey, Chinese built SE mono-block amplifiers, that are sold today. They were common in WWII, surplus transmitters.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

This thread seems to have gotten way off the original subject. LOL
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heath got going good after The War and liked to design around what they could get cheap war surplus, which included the 12A6: I have a JAN 12A6 in a Heathkit.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
This thread seems to have gotten way off the original subject. LOL
That's what makes this website a little more interesting. Otherwise it would dry, like the rest of them.
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heathkit GR-64 Transformer

HI:

Excuse my neophyte question, but I've seen posts before in the forum where folks have suggested rewinding power transformers.

I've seen the inside of many over the years, and all look impossible to rewind due to the lamination of the core being enameled/glued. That enamel looks pretty sturdy. How does one get the iron plates apart without destroying them?

I assume that step would require some sort of solvent, but what would you use that would not damage plastic or phenolic coil form parts?

Would the rewind have to destroy all the wire in all windings to get the enamel off. Does heat work?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good question. It all depends on the materials used in manufacture. I have found some transformers relatively easy to disassemble, especially the lower power types. The big ones are steeped in tar and are well nigh impossible to take apart. The cost of new laminations is low, so it's really not worth it.

Many open windings are open at the termination and can be repaired without major disassembly. Shorts are another story.