Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
After reading this thread, I had to re-try my one-tube wonder. It's a Decca with a BSR changer and a single tube 25EH5 amp. The circuit is similar to the Seabreeze and most of the others.
I gave the restored Seabreeze to my brother's family last night. We put on a Dollar bin Mozart record and Their infant daughter stopped crying when she was brought near it, listened keenly to the music and was mesmerised by the spinning record. I said we need to get a Capitol label on there, the colours will probably be even more fun watch. His wife is thrilled with the little player, I suspect it will see a lot of use now! They have tons of old records in fair condition and I suspect she will prefer the simplicity of use and portability their big stereo.

I like those old BSR changers... I restored one not so long ago myself. Two things to watch for, the counterbalance spring in the tonearm can stretch out, and needs to be adjusted or else it can really grind records. I set mine to 6 grams on my ortophon digital scale and now it tracks great and doesn't grind records. The factory setting was WAY off, more like 15 grams! It is very annoying to change the setting because the tonearm does not lift up vertical. Also, the grease in the main bearing can be annoying to clean out. I used a ton of isopropyl alcohol to get my BSR ready for new lubricants.

Last edited by maxhifi; 03-31-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Man, does mine ever look like a VM! The handle and the speed selector are identical to below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-2-RCA-VM...item541ab62b93
Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Man, does mine ever look like a VM! The handle and the speed selector are identical to below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-2-RCA-VM...item541ab62b93
When I read this entry yesterday, I went to the $bay listing.
Those sellers are really putting the rediculous prices, on some of that junk. Old cheapie cardboard and wallpaper, kiddie phonos, old moldy beaters, that spent the last 60 years in a basement.
I see that a lot of schools are getting rid of their phonos and they're landing there. Look at what they're asking for they stereo models.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
When I read this entry yesterday, I went to the $bay listing.
Those sellers are really putting the rediculous prices, on some of that junk. Old cheapie cardboard and wallpaper, kiddie phonos, old moldy beaters, that spent the last 60 years in a basement.
I see that a lot of schools are getting rid of their phonos and they're landing there. Look at what they're asking for they stereo models.
Fair enough. I dropped about $50 into the Seabreeze overall ($25 to buy it, $12.50 in overpriced capacitors, and $12 with postage for a stylus), and I feel like it's a bargain compared with a Crosley or etc
Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Fair enough. I dropped about $50 into the Seabreeze overall ($25 to buy it, $12.50 in overpriced capacitors, and $12 with postage for a stylus), and I feel like it's a bargain compared with a Crosley or etc
Take a gander at the #bay offerings! If it's in decent condition, the price reflects it. As posted before, even the nasty junk is priced way too high.
The Seabreeze was a well cared for unit. All it needed is the normal electronic restoration of an item, that is well over 50 years old.
The better quality one tube wonders, of the day had the front mounted speaker and a tone control. The real cheapies, had the speaker mounted on the motorboard and a lot smaller, flimsier carry cases.
Audiokarma