Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Junkley record player from August, 2013

I just bought the Junkley that was made in August, 2013 that was a warranty return from someone off ebay. When I got it; the wall wart was missing (I forgot about these not having an internal power supply, the tonearm lockdown clip was missing, and the needle was busted off. I found an old wall wart to power it and used a lockdown clip from another junk stereo. I had a cartridge and needle from a junk stereo and my intent was to use the needle off of the other cartridge. Despite it looking the same as the original, it would not snap on the junkley cartridge; so, I just replaced the whole cartridge. I also cleaned the switches and volume control; which, were dirty. While I had it apart, one of the thin speaker wires snapped off and had to be soldered back. As far as the speakers, they are very cheap and I've had transistor radios that had better speakers and a more powerful amplifier. You certainly won't have to worry about it disturbing the person in the next room. It's now working; but, the motor is noisy. Actually, when it's off, I can rotate the platter and the motor acts as a generator to power the amplifier. One of the plastic turntable mounting brackets is broken and the rest of the unit is largely held together with hot glue. The only thing that motivates me from doing a "crash 'n' bash" video of this is I need something to demonstrate how inferior this junk is to people, who often have no issue with paying $80-$100 for these things; yet, would not buy a vintage restored record player because "newer is better." Oh, and the classy red velvet inner-lid covering is already coming off - not bad for something that's only six months old.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Man, why do you even bother with this crap?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was about to say the same thing. The amount of labor you put in could have built a nice machine from scratch.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

You should be saving your money for a camera that focuses.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I still had my job refurbing store returns, I would get pallets of those and their big brothers (the "wood" cabinet ones with the cassette deck and cd player/recorder). All of which are terrible junk. I say with all sincerity that even a junky 80's Yorx or Sounddesign is a HUGE step up from one of these.
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 PM
David Thomas

I always knew those lacked in quality, but after looking at these pics I realize they are much worse than I previously thought. That record player is pure garbage!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Administrator

That must have cost at least $2.50 to make.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Powel must be spinning in his Grave...His stuff was just a bit on the cheap side, too, but they always represented good value for the money..I have SEVERAL Crosley AA5s, & they ALL do quite well.... One is a Thirties Model 635B bakelite set, it even has a couple of SW bands on it.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I wouldn't pick this crap off the curb, let alone pay for it. One of them was donated to my store; never saw it out on the floor, must have been tossed once me and another guy working there identified it as a cheap repro.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was given a reproduction radio after the same style,
Built to look like a 60s radio with a padded vinyl cabinet. It looks great but it came with a scratchy volume control and has such awful sensitivity and selectivity is has almost zero value as a radio. One would thing an am/fm radio would be easier to make in 2010.
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

keep it for the next bonfire party and throw it in, it will become a big-ol ball of plastic !
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

What I find to be really funny is that a lot of people actually seem to like this piece of junque:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Cruise...able+turntable

not affiliated,
jr
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's the same model as the piece of junk I just obtained.

If someone wanted a portable record player, they'd be better off getting an old classroom record player from the '60's or '70's.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
What I find to be really funny is that a lot of people actually seem to like this piece of junque:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Cruise...able+turntable

not affiliated,
jr
Not surprising. There was a radio corporation of china turntable at my store which sold yesterday. Just goes to show how many are clueless about electronics (and seem to want to remain that way). Also, I assisted a guy in testing a printer/scanner/copier combo that we found out needs ink. He may have gotten a good price on the printer itself, but what he didn't know, or chose to ignore is that the ink will cost much more than the device itself.

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
I always knew those lacked in quality, but after looking at these pics I realize they are much worse than I previously thought. That record player is pure garbage!
Look at the size of the speakers. They look like the kind used in the smaller flat-panel TV's. They sound lousy for TV sound, let alone, music.
Audiokarma