Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Valuation of SONY SLV-X842

This is a international unit, capable of both PAL and NTSC VHS tapes. EBAY has a unit on sale for $1050.

Used only for 6 months while in Europe - on shelf since then.

Any advice on valuation would be appreciated.

KWS
Old 01-29-2024, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seems awfully high priced to me.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Even at $500 that's kind of insane for a low-hours VCR.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to all,
hi kws53,

Here is the E-Bay SLV-X842 advert, original post did not give a link (minimum courtesy) + photos for posterity (E-Bay ads disappear quickly) :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/255501090720...Bk9SR9jamMasYw

Sales pitch seems to imply that the machine works, but not clearly stated and no TV screen shots of VCR playing a tape.

In my opinion the price is not justified. Asking 1000+ $ or € is justified for a refurbished machine with PSU caps measured/changed & full mechanical cleaning/lubrication.

Here in Europe, there are several German sellers offering serviced VHS/Beta machines with 6 months warranty.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 02-01-2024, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you @jhalpen - and I appreciate the guidance on posting.

Actually, I own one of these and was wondering what I should do to maximize its value and what you would recommend for that value. I live in the US and would likely be attempting to sell to a US audience. I only used it for 6 months in 1999.

I have the power cord, manual, and remote.

Best Regards,
Kurt
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2024, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to all,
Hi kws53,

to answer your question i looked at E-Bay completed sales. Your exact model did not show up but this fairly similar Sony SLV-X700 multistandard model sold for 112$ see here :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19608116842...Bk9SR9DFquOsYw

High-end multistandard machines had (have) a niche following in Europe because of the possibility to play tapes purchased from abroad such as NTSC VHS films & shows never available in the Euro market.

Unfortunately, the reverse is not true, Americans are usually perfectly happy with NTSC-only machines & playing foreign tapes has never been a big thing statesides.

Diplomatic staff, expats & people with family abroad were the possible market for these machines.

Pricing your machine: if you can put a reserve, i would try 300$ & see if it moves (or not).

In your advert, take good detailed photos of the front (machine operating) & back (connectors). Make sure function controls, knobs, etc. are well legible and show the machine playing a tape with a good color picture on a TV siting on top of the VCR (to avoid suspicion "yeah it's another hidden machine playing the tape"). Describe in text all the important features especially the multistandard capabilities.

Advertize worldwide with shipping to EU, UK, Australia, Japan accepted.
E-Bay "Global Shipping" is a killer for the buyer (doubles cost), offer USPS/DHL as an alternative.

Good Luck!

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France