Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

ct-100

30 minutes left on e-bay 5000.00 dollars looks pretty good. radiola3 is the seller
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think a CT100 is worth $5000. That's a lot for something that's likely going to already need some work.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Bob Galanter

It didn't sell. It didn't get any bids. Looks like CT100s have become commonplace. They aren't the rare items they once were.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 01-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
console lover

I wouldn't go that far. I think raising the minimum bid by $1K shortly into the auction may have made the difference between sale and no sale.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Spending five grand for a set with an unobtainable CRT that can go to air at any time would scare me.

Maybe the ones that have survived this long weren't defective to start with?
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is a limit to how many of these can sell for a decent price, but I don't know that things are that bad yet. I'd like to see it listed with a 99 cent starting price, more fun to watch the bidding that way and maybe the most effective way to find the real value of a set at a given time.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM
console lover

Exactly. I think Nick nailed it when he said the seller didn't really want to part with it after all.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the price was too high. The tube was questionable, and the cabinet needed work.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Ct 100

Other than people who were in the business or collectors people don't even know what the CT100 was and is and what part it played in history. The value of this item it limited to a small group of tv collectors so the value is relative.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
There is a limit to how many of these can sell for a decent price, but I don't know that things are that bad yet. I'd like to see it listed with a 99 cent starting price, more fun to watch the bidding that way and maybe the most effective way to find the real value of a set at a given time.

You hit the nail on the head!

I list nearly all my auctions this way, because my feeling is that a no reserve auction starting at $0.99 will end at a price that reflects true market value. An auction starting as high as that one did puts bidders at a disadvantage, and they are less likely to 'bite'. Another way to do it is if you have a high value item you are uneasy about letting go for too low a price is just put a reserve on it, that way if bidding is slow and you don't hit your target minimum the item doesn't sell. This also puts bidders at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's one of the tactics I use at times to determine the market's viability. In other words, put up an item like that with an astronomical reserve so you're sure it won't sell. Then when the auction ends, you can see what people are willing to pay for it, and figure out if you really want to sell it or not. I think it only costs $0.50 each time you do it, which is cheap for high dollar items like this.

It would be a different story if the CRT was confirmed good before the auction, rather than 10 years ago or whatever it was. There's no way in hell I'm bidding on a 15GP22 equipped set if there's any question at all as to its functionality, they are just too hard to find if you need one. Heck, sets using the 21AXP22 are getting more than scarce these days so I'm even apprehensive about those ones. Soon approaching is the day when even sets using glass CRT's will command a premium, I predict it will happen within the next 10-15 years. That combined with a market recovery could send prices for vintage sets sky high, though if you ask me the current political situation will prevent any such recovery from happening in the near future....which is unfortunate, because sets are more likely to be saved when people know they command a premium price on the open market.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Bob Galanter

Personally I like the "Best Offer" option with the "Buy IT Now" price. You can get your asking price using BIN or you can haggle back and forth on offers and test the waters to see what the market will bear.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'd LOVE to have a CT-100...But I CAN'T afford $5K for an "Iffy" one..
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

A fully-restored one, with pictures of it operating, sold for around $4500 on Ebay a few years back.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."