Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Need a Front Cover for a Panasonic RF-5000A

As the title says, I'm looking for a cover for my Panasonic RF-5000A.. This is was Panny's 1967-1970 or thereabouts TOTL ginormous "Portable" set. It has 11 bands, LW, MW, a BUNCH of SW bands going from top of the old AM band to at least 30MhZ., & of course, American FM. It apparently originally had a cover that attached over the dial/speaker assy, & gave it a modicum of protection. If this thing is Portable, then I REALLY am a Monkey's Uncle, it has to weigh 25 lbs, w/o batteries. Wouldn't mind if I had the owner's manual, but I realize getting THAT would be a miracle on the same order as the Loaves & Fishes, but you can always hope, I guess. I also have its Nemesis, Sony's CRF-230, which I big dealed my parents into for Xmas, 1970. Honestly, the Sony is a better radio, if nowhere nearly as pretty as the RF-5K... But OTOH, I never have had the Panny "Looked At", it seems to be a tad on the "Deaf" side. Oh, & the Panny's REAL moniker is "National Panasonic", I think they only used that on their Hot Schitt/TOTL kind of stuff. Should you ever run acrost either set, if its in any decent cosmetic shape, I don't think you'd be disappointed in snapping either one-Or BOTH- up posthaste. They BOTH truly look like they REALLY Mean Business.... in the same manner as the flagships of Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, National, Collins, et al did all those many moons ago...
Old 06-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Sandy, some information. National or National Panasonic was the brand mainly used in Japan and in Europe. Panasonic was the normal branding for the USA, in this era.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, Kent, and I THINK I saw one of these Bad Boys in Morristown at a Roses' back in the day... Neat store-They had mucho Expensivo type stuff like this Radidio, & then they also had El Crapola that wasn't fit to lug home.. Anyhoo, IT said "National Panasonic" on it, as well. They're, of course, long since gone. Another interesting thing they had was a 55-gallon "Fibreboard" drum crammed absotively full of WW1 & before Bolt-Action Rifles. They were all kinds & varieties, some were almost decent, others looked liked they'd seen duty as oars on the Nolichucky river. I sorta remember they were pretty much all obscure Yooropean calibers. I don't remember Roses' having any ammo, but the price was right on these Implements of Destruction-$14.98, U-Pick 'em. I was maybe 13,14, I danced 2 jigs to get my dad to let me have one, but Winifred-Mama- clouded all up & got her War Face going, so I had to fergit it. Que Sera, Sera....