Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Not sure how I got here.

so is the face of that tube a greyish or a little greenish in color. More like the color of the early 15GP's or more the color of the 21axp's? I wonder if the 1b3's meant the tube was designed to have lower beam current. Too bad there ain't a Sam's you could order for that chassis.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
You're got to be kidding, this tube tested good!!
Can it be plugged into a working CT-100 chassis to see if it works.
Still can't be sure until HV or tesla coil present; the getter is a bit worrisome.
But if there's no faint blue neon glow anywhere along guns (viewed in dark) with tube tester, that would be promising.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

From what I learned by using the CR-70, a tube with air will peg the needle after advancing the cutoff control beyond a certain point. You reach the ionization point of the gas inside, and then you get full conduction. Exactly that happened with the 21AXP22 that was in my Director 21, purple neck to boot. But this one is fully variable throughout it's entire range, and the needle rises slowly as it warms up just like it should. So I'm optimistic about it, but we won't know until some HV can be applied.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
so is the face of that tube a greyish or a little greenish in color. More like the color of the early 15GP's or more the color of the 21axp's?
It looks greenish to me, kinda like the 21AXP22 in my CTC-2B. I have it parked right next to the CTC-4 at the moment, and it's very obvious the difference when viewed right on. The screen on the 2B almost glitters, while the one in the 4 just looks like plain paper.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is real history if only the 6-bolt CRT is functioning.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Administrator

I think the next question is not if this set can be made operational but IF it should be.

If it's an RCA Prototype it truly is a signifigant piece of history, replacing capacitors and other components would seriously compromise it's historical value IMO.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 AM
console lover

I think there's historical value in being able to see just what a dot-sequential or proto-NTSC electronic receiver was capable of. We've now been able to see what the CBS sets were capable of for quite a few years, but when they first came back to life it was quite a revelation.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have mixed feelings about whether to restore it and I can think of good arguments for both sides.

Personally, I would find it hard to resist making it work. It was designed as something to be used, after all, not a museum piece.

I would soothe my conscience by doing nothing invasive, restuffing paper caps as well as electrolytics, maybe even finding resistors that look more period-correct. Ideally, when it was done, it would look the same (at least to a casual eye) but WORK as the designers intended.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 AM
M is for Memory

I agree with Phill's suggestion for how to go about electronically restoring it.
Better to keep it looking original if you restore it IMHO.

Tom C.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Anyone wanna hear how the variac powerup of the chassis went?
If you do get a matching or near-matching schematic diagram from Ed Reitan, you may be able to do just that after some electrolytic restuffing. Absent that schematic, you could draw your own (got a few days or weeks?) and compare it to the CTC2 schematic to maybe narrow down the missing or incorrect tubes.

Either this forum or my browser needs to be taught some of the words we use around here. It doesn't like variac, powerup, or restuffing.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
The adventure begins! Have you determined at all if this could be a dot-sequential prototype rather than early NTSC?
I wondered that too. Based upon a reading of Wentworth and Fink plus the preponderance of 1952 tubes, I don't see now how it could be a dot sequential set using three-state communitator circuitry. However, I couldn't resolve one way or the other their flirtation with phase alternation in that time period. So, it probably uses equaband quadrature circuitry for chroma, bypassed luma (of course), in 1952 perhaps a nonstandard color subcarrier frequency, and maybe PAL-like circuits.

My two cents.

Pete
Old 06-16-2011, 05:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

If it were mine, I'd want to restore it to working condition using reliable modern capacitors. Save the removed parts.
But, I would take multiple high resolution detailed digital photos of the entire chassis as documentation history of the set.

You are now part of this TV's history.

Carl
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do you have any information about where this TV has been over the last 60 years?

Carl
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM
78s Galore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis View Post
I wondered that too. Based upon a reading of Wentworth and Fink plus the preponderance of 1952 tubes, I don't see now how it could be a dot sequential set using three-state communitator circuitry. However, I couldn't resolve one way or the other their flirtation with phase alternation in that time period. So, it probably uses equaband quadrature circuitry for chroma, bypassed luma (of course), in 1952 perhaps a nonstandard color subcarrier frequency, and maybe PAL-like circuits.

My two cents.

Pete
But it appears that the set has been used over the years http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...8&postcount=24 So it was either built as 3.579 quadrature, or has been modified to be NTSC-compatible.

Last edited by MelodyMaster; 06-16-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I really doubt if the set was used over the years. The only evidence of that is the tube date codes, which is tenuous. I don't see any other components that look newer than 1952 ish.

Congratulations on having what appears to be a working tube.

Last edited by Steve McVoy; 06-16-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Audiokarma