Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Interesting, I always assumed the rebuilder handled removing, and reinstalling a bonded safety glass. I'm sure that was the case back when CRT rebuilding was common.
For the most part this is/was correct.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

In fact I just asked Scotty about this and he said that removal of the glass was something he did as part of the rebuild process.

John
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Maybe he told me no, because he was getting close to his shut down day and didn't want to deal with it.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

You old timers have been there. Turn on the set with the unbonded tube (after CRT replacement) and you find out your Windex job on the face and safety glass was for naught and you got to do it allllll over again. Always got me going. I was never so happy as when we got bonded tubes regardless of the dud.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was at a car show of all things, when I ran into a guy who said he worked on the CRT line at RCA Lancaster. He said that occasionally, a tube would let go when it was coming down the line (they hung on overhead hooks) and it would cause several in a row to go off, raining glass down on everyone.

He also mentioned that anyone assigned to packing crts had to wear a flak jacket arrangement. Of course, most people didn't so he said all too often, he would hear the implosion, and grab a mop so he could clean up the massive blood trail leading to the infirmary.
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

From the carton to the garbage can.

Back in the day when there were four repair shops on the same street, I was visiting a shop. John had just finished installing a new crt in a electrohome tv. John turned the set on to start the adjustment proceedure. We heard a tic tic tic sound. john unpugged the tv and without thinking reached in to re attach the ground strap. the next thing i saw was a hand moving faster than a Bruce Lee kung fu move and with it was the deflection yoke.The next thing i heard was a one word responce (F**K).
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well when i was a kid i used to go to the city dump with a couple friends , they would be hunting bicycle parts - i would pull tubes from the tv sets there , one day a 23 or 25 inch color set was siting there and i told a friend about the dangers , he wasn't convinced , so i stood 10 feet or so from the set and tossed a big rock dead center into the face and what a boom that was , a piece of glass landed at my feet and he was a believer , so another 25" set was picked on , i tossed the rock and it hit but the crt did not go off , multiple cracks were made in the front and a huge hiss and whine came from the set , this went on and on and as it did you could hear what sounded like things colappsing inside the crt but it did not implode.... i took a 16" sharp set to pieces and had the crt , took it to a friends house and we went to the attic 3 floors up, he dropped it and BOOM but there was a spark of electric with it , i said wow that picture tube was still holding energy .... one more - i put a 21" color table model admiral out for garbage - the crt was weak and the fly was bad , had i known i could have hunted a fly down who knows what would have happened to the set , i didn't think of it at the time and when they loaded it into the truck a minute later i heard a huge boom and then thought geez i didn't air that tube .. too bad i didn't just store the set because i might have been able to save it now.

Mike
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 PM
VK Member

All these horror stories! Seems the only safe place to work on or watch a CRT set is in outer space! (or the vacuum inside my head)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I worked at a TV shop in the late 70’s early 80’s rebuilding trade-ins was a large part of my job. Once a month the garbage man would reserve some room for us to dispose of dud CRTs. I would snap the neck with a large wrench before removing the tubes from there cabinets. One day as my partner and I were sliding the tubes into the garbage truck I shouted “LIVE ONE”. My partner and I pulled the garbage truck driver to ground. KaBlaam! That live FJP took out three other tubes when it landed in the bottom of the truck. The truck driver looked like a deer in the headlights when we all stood up. The guy had no idea of the implosive power of a CRT. Doogie
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Figured I'd share this the next time this thread resurfaced: the other day I was moving some things around and needed to set a 21" roundie crt somewhere. I took a folded-up towel and put it on my desk, then placed the crt face down on the towel. I then left the room for several hours.

When I came back I couldn't believe my eyes: the crt was sitting, pretty as you please, face down on the floor. There was just the slightest "tilt" to that towel-I never could have guessed it, but the crt apparently started to slide and then-plop-down it went! It survived the impact, looks like no harm done. But that was a close one. Sometimes I wonder if I should be allowed to handle anything more fragile than an anvil!

Oh-one more thing. In an old thread, somebody mentioned that they used to remove faceplates by dropping the crt facedown from a pretty good distance, and the shock (I guess) would cause it to loosen. There was some debate at the time as to whether this was tongue in cheek, but the poster seemed sincere. Well, not long ago I was preparing to junk a dud bw tube with a bonded faceplate. It did not have cataracts. After airing it, I decided to do a test. I dropped it on the ground numerous times, and then started tossing the crt as high in the air as I could so that it would hit facedown. Nope, all that bottle did was bounce all over the yard, never loosened anything, didn't break, either!

Last edited by bgadow; 02-10-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add another goofy antidote
Audiokarma
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

As a kid, I accidentally dropped a 10lb dumbbell on a 12lp4 that was sitting on the floor. I looked like Quint from Jaws when he thought the oxygen tanks were going to blow! Amazingly, the weight struck the neck full force, but all it did was crack the base. I still have the tube as a spare, and it still tested as new a few months ago...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have worked in a CRT plant for 38 years and we have never had a worse injury from an implosion than a cut that required a few stitches.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akent36 View Post
I have worked in a CRT plant for 38 years and we have never had a worse injury from an implosion than a cut that required a few stitches.
Would that be Clinton???

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I recently disposed of some BPC sets that were broken and I didn't want to deal with.
1 was a 20" Sony VCR combo set. I threw it in the dumpster, and man... heard a big boom when it hit the bottom. I looked in and the CRT had imploded and it blew the back right off the set!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Intentional implosions we may be able to learn from.

Here are some implosions that were done for fun:

First implosion with a bonded glass Trinitron, if it had a safety band, it was removed:
http://youtu.be/cuPDWUK7pMA

Second Implosion with a Flat Trinitron with a removed band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x6J3KJ2Uso

Third Implosion with a Toshiba CRT with a removed band:
http://youtu.be/5T6NqiHZ-Vk
Audiokarma