Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Philco on eBay

Nice looking set, BIN is too high but the starting bid is good with no reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philco-21-roundi...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 052f_1_b.jpg (26.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 AM

Look at that chassis. Perhaps a genuine Philco design? I thought Philco roundies of this era were ctc-15 derivatives. Apparently not this one.

John
Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 AM
<--1956 300B

SAMS 885-2. It is a 1966 or 67 television set. Pretty late for a roundie. I really like the cabinet on this set. Nice

polaraman
Old 03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

From what I have been able to piece together, by the late sixties Philco was making their own picture tubes, or at least some of them. Maybe they were able to crank out 21FJP22's extra cheap? I think they were selling roundies into '69 or maybe even '70. The later ones would have had what I guess was one of the most technically advanced chassis of any roundie.

If it were local...
Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Ex-Philco

Philco made picture tubes, from the earliest days, in the Lansdale Tube Plant. Tubes coded 260 were Philco. Picture tubes were manufactured in Lansdale and continued on the line to special conveyor-equipped freight cars, transported to the Philadelphia TV assembly plant and connected to the conveyor lines there. Basically the Lansdale tube line was connected to the TV assembly line via the railroad.

Ford sold the Lansdale Tube plant to Zenith in the 70s.

Sylvania, coded 312, was also a supplier, mostly for after market tubes.

Byran makes an interesting point that the Philco-built round color TV is probably the best chassis of the era. It had more solid state circuitry than any of the competition, and continued, with modest updates, into the mid 70s.

Don
Audiokarma
Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lindsly
Philco made picture tubes, from the earliest days, in the Lansdale Tube Plant. Tubes coded 260 were Philco. Picture tubes were manufactured in Lansdale and continued on the line to special conveyor-equipped freight cars, transported to the Philadelphia TV assembly plant and connected to the conveyor lines there. Basically the Lansdale tube line was connected to the TV assembly line via the railroad.

Ford sold the Lansdale Tube plant to Zenith in the 70s.

Sylvania, coded 312, was also a supplier, mostly for after market tubes.

Byran makes an interesting point that the Philco-built round color TV is probably the best chassis of the era. It had more solid state circuitry than any of the competition, and continued, with modest updates, into the mid 70s.

Don

Don I never really saw a good accurate color from any of the Philco's from that era.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Philco color setHello

Hello boys, I am selling the philco color set under jukeboxdoc. This set was picked up from original owner. I would keep it but found a ctc5 to buy from a friend. If you have questions about set please email.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I once had a rectangular color Philco console from about 68 or 69. I always kick myself for letting it go. It did have a very nice picture. The only other Philco-Ford color set I ever saw around here was a solid state console from the end of the Ford era. It belonged to some friends of ours and never impressed me at all. The picture always seemed to be too dark & muddy.

Don, great to hear the history, as always! I have seen Sylvania built Philco crts in several sets; others lacked an EIA number to check it by. Recently I found a dud Philco RE21FJP22 with the Philco EIA, which clued me in. I used to have a list of everyone who was building color picture tubes in the US (c.1970) but darned if I can find it now. I think there were about 7 or 9 companies.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Ex-Philco

As I recall, the hybrid chassis worked OK. It needed fresh 6BL8s, in the chroma circuit, to keep it looking good. The 19 inch version seemed to have more CRT problems.

The 100% solid state Philco-built color chassis was short lived because Ford sold Philco Home Electronics to Phillips in the early 70s. The TV plant was closed in '75 and subsequent Philcos were just rebranded Sylvanias. Soon after, Sylvania, Magnavox and Philco were all the same. True 100% solid state Philadelphia-built Philcos are rare. More TV123s may survive today.