Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:22 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

Ham Radio Music Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQcF7CU2IEU

An oldie but goodie!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 PM
<----Zenith C845

Just saw the video. Nice takeoff on 1984's "Ghostbusters" movie and the song by the same name.

I never experienced a DX pileup in all my nearly 40 years in this hobby, as I was never a contester when I had my 100-watt station and 70' all-band dipole at my former home in suburban Cleveland...no, wait a minute. I did wind up trying to break one about two years ago, when I was trying to work a special-event station in Hartford, Connecticut. I was operating from my apartment here in extreme norheast Ohio and using a haywire setup (cannot use outdoor antennas here due to lease restrictions). The callsign of the special-event station was NU1AW, and I almost broke the pileup with my 100 watt Icom IC-725 and indoor antenna -- but didn't. (As a buddy of mine, who is not a ham, says, 'almost' only counts in horseshoes and tiddly winks.) Just too many hams trying to work the station at one time. The station was probably on the air to commemorate something, like a milestone for W1AW in Newington or some such, as it wasn't on the air that long, only a weekend or so.

I'm almost tempted to call that phone number (555-2368) shown near the end of the video, just to see whether it is actually connected to anything. Like most numbers with a 555- prefix, however, I think this one will do little more than connect me to the telephone company's computer system or, in my case (my telephone service is with Time Warner Cable), I may just get a recording stating that the number I reached is no longer in service, or that the call cannot be completed as dialed.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

KL5-2368 or 555-2368 was *frequently* used in movies, TV shows, etc.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

That number was also the example used by the phone company representative who came and talked to us in third grade in 1968. It was "Robert Martin" 's phone number. The rep taught us how to use the phone book to look up "Martin, Robert" under M.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."