Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

'67 Magnavox end table stereo

Before Christmas, the owner of one of the thrift stores asked me to fix this Magnavox stereo that had no sound. So, I loaded it up and brought it home and; today, I got around to fooling with it. I cleaned the controls, replaced a frayed power cord, replaced the dial/pilot lamps, and soldered some questionable solder connections on the chassis. The record changer, however, is all gunked up, needs a new cartridge, and possibly new idler wheels. I called the thrift store and told them that I had the radio working good; but, the record changer would probably cost more to fix, with parts and labor, than it would be worth. When I first picked it up, the lady indicated that she'd use it for an end table if I couldn't fix it; but, she called me back later to say I could have it. Had she wanted it back, I was going to charge her $20 for the work I did and for PU/delivery.

This one uses the R212 series chassis and is dated 10/67. If I decide to keep this for myself, I may go to the effort to fix the record changer and replace the electrolytic capacitors in the chassis. I wish the cabinet looked a little better; but, maybe I can clean it/polish it to make it look a little better.

This unit has the speakers for both channels inside the cabinet; but, there is an external connection and a switch to allow a seperate speaker cabinet to be used.

One nice thing is that this stereo is small and doesn't take up much room.

Here's a short video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62Ex...KwOQ4VCCs5H33A