Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
I do enjoy watching the Nature shows and Antiques Roadshow from time to time. Antiques Roadshow is a go-to on Monday and Thursday nights when there is nothing on.

As a kid almost every Saturday was spent watching Hometime, This Old House and the cooking shows. Back then I wanted to be a chef because I thought all the machinery they used on those shows was too cool.
I do enjoy This Old House on PBS and Youtube.Once in the while I do catch
Antiques Roadshow.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Now most of those ex indie stations if they cant find a new home channel will get piggybacked with mainstream stations or go off the air with the new upcoming DTV auction.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
I was going to mention that too. I can recall staying up really late once at the age of 3 or 4, and seeing Star Hustler program and then as it went off PBS went off the air. It may have happened more than once as I recall seeing he Star program at least a couple times.

And I can recall around the age of 7 or so getting up early on a Saturday morning to watch PBS and finding it was still off the air. One of the only times I saw a test pattern, and then quickly they signed back on. By that time PBS was probably the only station that wasn't 24 hours.
I remember that show, "Star Hustler" with Jack Horkheimer. He was with the Miami Planetarium IIRC. He passed away a while ago. We had two PBS stations in Pittsburgh, Channel 13 and 16. 13 is WQED. I remember early Saturday mornings, WQED would broadcast tone and a black and white test pattern. Channel 16 was the more avant garde station. They broadcasted in black and white well into the 1980's since they used they used the original WENS transmitter from the 1950's. They broadcasted a lot of Brit Coms and other British TV like Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, Upstairs Downstairs, Monty Python and so on. Mom loved Red Dwarf. They finally went color in the 1990's and they had catchy signoff at night like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elfDREK1aMM where they showed Pittsburgh sights, bars and so on and sign off with Monty Python's "Bright Side of Life." I also saw in the credits a fellow student I went all the way from preschool in church to high school. I also like the guy playing the video game of him flying a UFO blowing up Pittsburgh.

BTW, here is a Star Hustler clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJheh1XcAQ
Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I remember that show, "Star Hustler" with Jack Horkheimer. He was with the Miami Planetarium IIRC. He passed away a while ago.

BTW, here is a Star Hustler clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJheh1XcAQ
Yeah, he did. Someone else was hosting the show for a while but I don't know if they still have it.

Our big PBS station was WEDU. I watched the home and cooking shows there. Before I started school I watched kid shows on there. After I started school I would watch them in the sfternoon. Elementary school got out at 2 and they would be showing an older Mister Rogers episode usually when I got home. Then Arthur. When the news shows would start I'd switch to WUSF and they showed different kids programs from about 5-6. During the summer WGCU would show an older Mr. Rogers episode really early during the week so I'd get up at like 6:45 to see it then later they would show a new one. Most have cut back alot on kids programming especially evenings and weekends.

WEDU is also where I watch Britcoms, but they don't have much these days. Just Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By and Vicar of Dibley. They used to test series out or rotate them more often. WGCUpuld show Britcoms too and I think they had Monty Python .

We only get WEDU now with cable. I think my grandparents still get WUSF, they don't show Britcoms but show alot of British dramas and mysteries which my grandma likes.

Once in a while WGCU would show Keeping Up Appearances on Thursday evenings.