Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Heatkit isolation transformer

Would this isolation transformer from Heathkit work for me to align a color chassis? I am starting to get what I need for that process.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heathkit tran.jpg (22.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-16-2006, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is only needed if working on a "hot" chassis (power line connected to chassis).
I have one of these and have used it on a CTC-53 but that is about the limits of its output (around 200 watts).
Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Geek

It is more of a safety device than an alignment aid. Useful for smaller transformerless sets, all-american five radios, etc. Not needed for items with a power transformer. It is also only good for 200 watts, so check the rating on the device you'll be powering with it.

Note that this will only protect you from one of many ways that you can get zapped working on electronics, especially tube-type electronics, and more especially TV sets. Don't think that you're immune to being shocked just because you are using an isolation transformer.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Banned

Thank you very much everybody!

That is very helpful!
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

This is SLIGHTLY off topic, but I am curious how you tell whether a Variac is isolated or not? I was told that there are both types. Can I just measure to see if there's DC continuity between the primary and secondary? The ones I've taken apart had wipers like a regular rheostat. So I've always made a habit of using an isoformer even when I'm on a Variac.

***It's true that the isolation is only needed in transformerless sets, but it's a GREAT habit to use it on all sets. Case in point: I knocked myself across the room once on a 50's RCA set with a transformer power supply. I had my elbow on a file cabinet and I went to adjust the vertical size, and WHAM! One of the AC line filter mica caps was shorted, effectively connecting one side of the line to the chassis, and with my luck it happened to be the hot side ***

Charles
Old 07-17-2006, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was recently given a basic isolation transformer, the type that is just a transformer with a cord & a socket on the side. Since I already have a couple I would be willing to give this to any member who wants it for cost of shipping. I don't know what the ratings are on it but I would not trust it with a tv. Should be fine for any radio work, though. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Variacs or Powerstats etc are almost never isolated. They are autotransformers so one side of the line input is in common with the output. This Heathkit here is actually an isolation transformer which provides some voltage variation. You usually have to adjust this up to maintain a 115 volt output when using a heavier load on it as the output voltage will drop compared to a no-load condition.
I can't remember how the adjustment works on this heathkit though.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Interesting... That makes sense. I also have an RCA isolation trans with switchable taps.

Charles