Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

AAAHAHGGHH SOMAD! Television problem.

best buy is trying to screw me out of my warrenty, got the black friday sale item. $200. for the $600. television.. http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...LC42SV49U.aspx
bought the extended 4yr warrenty. less then a year later all of the hdmi ports are fried, and geeksquad was supposed to come out and fix my television, so i talk to the guy over the phone, tell him what happened, how the hdmi port shocked me, and would nolonger display on any HDMI inputs.
so they said, ok probably the main display board, they would send me the correct main board, and set up a date to come over and fix it..
that date comes by, and i get a call from the geeksquad guy before he is on his way, he asks me about the problems with the television again, and he says yea, probably the main board. we will have to get that part shipped out to you.. i tell him it was already supposed to be. he types some stuff, than tells me they hadent ordered any parts, and he would get it ordered for me..
another week goes by, and i recieve a box, i hadent opened it, was going to let the geeksquad guy open the box. lady calls me today, and says they shipped me the wrong part, and the replacement part i need is nolonger available.

so they said bring it back to the store,. and have them exchange it for a different tv. i take it back to the store, they said because it was on sale, they can only give me a $200. or less television. Now I'm MAD. waited outside for 13hours and wasted my whole thanksgiving out in the cold for this television. they sent me a board, claimed it was the wrong one and they are now saying that the part is nolonger available. can anybody tell me if this is the correct part for my television, part number DUNTKE450FM01, model number lcc3234u, if it is, i'l just put it in the television myself.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

from the connectors on the board it looks like its the same. but without opening my television i cant know for sure.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to shopjimmy's part cross reference, it's for the 32/37" not the 42.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I would raise some hell with Best Buy, just because you got it on sale doesn't make any difference, you are still entitled to have it fixed.

If they can't fix it UNDER WARRANTY then you should be entitled to an equivalent model, buying it on Black Friday or even Open Box shouldn't make any difference on the warranty, if they can't fix a set one year after it was sold then something is really wrong.

If they wont budge I would take it up with Consumer Affairs.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea i was so upset when i left best buy, my hand somehow got all bloodied on the dash of my car.

tonight i spent 2 hours on the phone with geek squad trying to find a individual that was able to find, and send me the correct part for my television, i got transfered 5 times through different departments. idk if i was going back and fourth or not. looks like they are going to try and have somebody call be back tomorrow. however the problem is that a few days ago when i was on the phone with them, they told me the part is not available.. im going to raise hell if they tell me that again..
i really dont think there is much i can do..
im really not a angry person and cant seem too threatening in store.
i will try and take it up with consumer affairs if they cannot help me.
i dont know how to contact them though. is that through some kind of bestbuy department? might that get me help of some kind?
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

found this website. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/profile/

told them what happened..
is this the kind of consumer affairs i should be contacting?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

Try the best buy community forum thier employees and 'consumer service' staff
frequent the board and may be able to help you. http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Custome...stomer_Service
Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

i tried to raise a bit of hell, but i guess im too nice to seem hostile or intimidating.
called the manager at the local store.. he wasent any help. tried calling the main best buy number.. guess thats corporate.. they didnt help..

called geeksquad and complained..
and sent a email to some lady with bestbuy.
and the next day i got a call while i was at work, and it was geeksquad.. a very well spoken nice man, said that they can order the right part for me. and they would get it shipped out to me, rush delivery.. it should arrive this monday the 19th. a geeksquad "tech" is scheduled to come out the 23rd. so it is looking up. hopefully they dont send me the wrong part again.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ah, the days of local and knowledgable service. Maybe it's just a tube.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Hah- thats the funniest stuff I herd in a while...... Here is the fix. Talk to the store manager, Ask for the respondent's name and contact info for a small claims court case with respect to your tv problem.... I bet before you finish the sentence, you may get a new Sharp 42"er if not total up your costs at $10/hr, including sleeping out on the sidewalk (Me and the wife laugh at them every year) plus the cost of the tv, add court costs time and filing fees and serve the store manager, then you'll get a bigger tv from those blue geeks for your trouble. Get the story on you tube and put Best Buy out of our misery faster. You might even be one of the lucky ones to have your Best Buy on the "store to be closed soon" list.

Last edited by Username1; 04-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

i got my problem solved.. i left a review over at sharp on my television. told them i got it on black friday, and one of the boards went out, and the parts are nolonger available to repair this model, so i was shit out of luck.. a few days after sharp got ahold of me and wanted to fix my television free of charge. i was pretty damn relieved. they admitted that parts were no longer available so they sent me a refurbished model. and i sent them back my damaged unit..
pretty cool deal. this television looks bran new to me. so i'm happy.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Not sure how I got here.

That's a pretty good deal there. I'm happy for you - Sharp is a pretty decent company. I use to do factory repairs for them in the early 80's and the tv's were really good sets. I got an old '84 25" simulated wood grain portable and like it so much that when another was available on CL nearly 3 hours away I got it ASAP. The guy couldn't figure why I got the Sharp and not the fancier Sony. I also worked on their early microwave ovens, and their deathatrons were double covered with a metal shield, and on the warranty stuff we were to destroy the ovens that showed any signs of high leakage. In those days leakage was in the .01 watt. By contrast the Panasonic ovens were only shielded by the outer cabinet. In theory well shielded, but you could turn on a Sharp out of the cabinet. Do that with a Panasonic and you fry yer fishies.... Back then Sharps problems were limited to flybacks and a few power transistors. The Panasonics had some pretty bizarre power supplies back then and had a range of problems. Now in modern times some of us hold 2watt microwave mini-ovens next to our brains for hours on end...... and what did someone say we're not getting any smarter....