Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2002, 03:18 AM
Night Wolf

ever heard of the RCA 97T?

my grandfather (now living with us, after almost burning down his house) has a RCA 97T, not the best condition, really needs TLC, but all tubes are there (unknown condition) and he has other radios and stuff, he used to fix this stuff back in the day, and has proably boxes of brand new still in box vintage tubes (my uncle threw a whole big box out of brand new, still in the boxes of about 50-70 tubes, i can't belize it) any info on the 97T is cool, if its worth fixing, it is AM police, aircraft and some other stuff, Thanks

-Rick
Old 08-25-2002, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Can't find my antique radio guide

BUT.....if memory serves me correctly, the 97T dates from around 1938....actually a pretty nice performer. I think that's the model I did a restoration on about 4 years ago for a fellow. I may be way off on this, but if I remember this set, it has a T-shaped dial and has about 8 tubes (console). Even if that's not the exact set, the series number still puts it at late 1930s....I really gotta find that book!
Old 08-26-2002, 08:26 AM
AK Member

Rick,
Just about any old radio is worth fixing/restoring. You probably won't get rich but the efforts are well worth the finished product expecially once thats been in the family as in your 97T. As a general rule, big console radios will sell for around $50 - $150 unrestored unless were talking about the Holy Grail, 25 tube Zenith Stratosphere.
The 97T would be a nice project, just remember to change those filter and paper capacitors along with checking the resistors for drift. Schematic should be available at http://www.nostalgiaair.org.

Chris's Old Radios
http://users.iglide.net/hworth/radio
Old 10-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Night Wolf

its a small table radio, with a 6 or 8" speaker, the knobs are somewhat hard to move (although the dial moves) the wood caseing is rough, and the bottom of it is like warped and stuff, I'd like to get it fixed, but don't really have the time/skills (i don't think i do, maybe i do) or if i didn't get it going, just restore the outside (for now) and make it look nice, and keep it for show in my room. well, i'll keep everyone posted.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:50 PM
millerdog

Hi,
if you are still wondering about that radio:
1938 table top worth somewhere around $70. I am using an old guide. Hope that helps.
Audiokarma